Nashville Newspaper has Searchable Carry Database

Guest Len

Guest Boomhower

I have heard a many of times on the police scanner of the dispatcher informing an officier of a person's HGP status after running a DL check.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the carry permit status is also linked to your tag registration, so that in computerized systems, the information that the registrant of the vehicle has a carry permit comes up.

If I was a patrolman, I'd want to know that the driver has a carry permit. That way I could relax a bit knowing his background had been checked out. I'd worry about the ones who might have a gun without a permit.

I was told at my HGC permit class last year that that info was not available to the officers at a traffic stop.

I keep preaching on this. Some of the instructors at these classes give you wrong information. Note that I said some. You need to read TCA and research other "facts" yourself. It's your responsibility to know the law.

Guest mrnord
I keep preaching on this. Some of the instructors at these classes give you wrong information. Note that I said some. You need to read TCA and research other "facts" yourself. It's your responsibility to know the law.

Shame on me for trusting someone who is licensed and is supposed to have this knowledge?:D

To this point, I had no reason to doubt that my instructor would have given wrong information, and except for that one wrong piece of information, I do know the law, and if I need to clearify to myself or someone else, I know how to find the answers I need in the TCA. I actually had to defend my right to carry at a business where they claimed I was inviolation of their anti-gun policy. At any length, I do stand corrected and appreciate the input from all parties here.

Guest Hyaloid
Shame on me for trusting someone who is licensed and is supposed to have this knowledge?:D

To this point, I had no reason to doubt that my instructor would have given wrong information, and except for that one wrong piece of information, I do know the law, and if I need to clearify to myself or someone else, I know how to find the answers I need in the TCA. I actually had to defend my right to carry at a business where they claimed I was inviolation of their anti-gun policy. At any length, I do stand corrected and appreciate the input from all parties here.

If I were you, I'd send the instructor a polite e-mail with the corrections, with a link to TGO.

No need to continue propogating incorrect information, and if he's worth a damn he'll appreciate the heads-up.

Guest Hyaloid

Any chance of getting a joint TGO/TFA statement in a letter to the editor?

Maybe they'd print it and present a disputing view, and we'd get some publicity and incresed traffic as well... especially if the argument is succint, poignant, and logical, and not fraught with emotion and anger... maybe we can actually win over a few hearts and minds.

Guest mrnord
If I were you, I'd send the instructor a polite e-mail with the corrections, with a link to TGO.

No need to continue propogating incorrect information, and if he's worth a damn he'll appreciate the heads-up.

That's a good Idea and has already been done:)

Carl

I wasn't jumping on you, mrnord. Sorry if it came across that way.

Just trying to point out that you do have to check stuff out yourself rather than just listen to an instructor.

Some think you can't carry in a bank. Some think you can carry in parts of an alcohol serving restaurant, etc.

Guest Kimber1

A friend and new member of TGO told me about the site yesterday, I read the article about the Tennessean publishing the database of CCL. I was outraged and emailed the Steve Gill Show to ask that he get this word out. I am thankful for the TGO organization and what it stands for and honored to be a new member. Keep up the great work.

Guest Kimber1

Please forgive the "spellin" in my post about the Tennessean...I was extremely ticked, and was not as concerned about checking/editing the post.

Please forgive the "spellin" in my post about the Tennessean...I was extremely ticked, and was not as concerned about checking/editing the post.

Easily fixed... just click the "Edit" button at the bottom of your post, and when it opens, run the spell-checker or change what you need.

:D

• Administrator
A friend and new member of TGO told me about the site yesterday, I read the article about the Tennessean publishing the database of CCL. I was outraged and emailed the Steve Gill Show to ask that he get this word out. I am thankful for the TGO organization and what it stands for and honored to be a new member. Keep up the great work.

We're likewise grateful to have you with us. :D

Guest mrnord
I wasn't jumping on you, mrnord. Sorry if it came across that way.

Just trying to point out that you do have to check stuff out yourself rather than just listen to an instructor.

Some think you can't carry in a bank. Some think you can carry in parts of an alcohol serving restaurant, etc.

I in no way took your post personally, It just had not occured to me that in a class such as the one I took, the instructor would have had wrong information. He had been very knowldgable on all other issues brought up in the class. I do actually (in most cases anyway) check my facts before going off on a tare... I hate being wrong, but will absolutely admit when I am. There is not bigger peeve of mine than refusing to admit ones fallibility.

Please watch for my post in the near future it will contain an e-mail I recived from the Senator's office on this issue.

Carl

Guest mrnord

Here is the actual E-mail I recieved from Senator Southerland's office. My contact info has been edited for privacy.

Mr. Nordman, as you will see from the below e-mail correspondence, the

public does not have access to the handgun permit holders' database.

According to Ms. Merkel who is the public information officer for the

Department of Safety, the Tennessean received complaints about the list

being published on their website and have removed it.

Sometimes public disclosure is not the best way to go especially in

cases such as these. It's my understanding that the Department of

Safety was required to give the Tennessean the information due to the

Freedom of Information Act. It hasn't been long since the Tennessee

published the salaries of every legislative state employee and kept it

on their website for weeks. That was quite enlightening.

Thank you for your e-mail. I hope this helps to allay some of your

concerns.

Carolyn Newman, AA to Senator Steve Southerland

-----Original Message-----

From: Elizabeth Merkel [mailto:Elizabeth.Merkel@state.tn.us]

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:53 AM

To: Steve Southerland

Subject: Re: Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database: Revision

No

<SEN.STEVE.SOUTHERLAND@LEGISLATURE.STATE.TN.US>

To: Merkel, Elizabeth <ELIZABETH.MERKEL@STATE.TN.US>Creation Date: 5/9

11:29 am

Subject: RE: Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database: Revision

Can the public access your database by internet or otherwise?

From: Elizabeth Merkel [mailto:Elizabeth.Merkel@state.tn.us]

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:21 AM

Subject: Re: Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database: Revision

We have gotten a number of calls on this.

Under Freedom of Information Act rules, we had to provide our database

of permit holders to the Tennessean.

The Tennessean posted everyone on their website yesterday, but have

removed it, likely due to the number of complaints.

<SEN.STEVE.SOUTHERLAND@LEGISLATURE.STATE.TN.US>

To: Merkel, Elizabeth <ELIZABETH.MERKEL@STATE.TN.US>Creation Date: 5/9

11:07 am

Subject: FW: Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database: Revision

Elizabeth, have others had concerns about this?

Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:56 AM

Subject: Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database: Revision

Dear Senator Southerland,

In an earlier message to you I made the statement that it was my

understanding that Tennessee police were not privy to Handgun Carry

Permit status. I have since learned that I was wrong. Police DO have

access to that information, and I believe that is a good policy. I do

however still believe that the Tennessee Handgun Carry database should

be restricted from the public.

Sincerely,

Carl

I think the carry permit status is also linked to your tag registration, so that in computerized systems, the information that the registrant of the vehicle has a carry permit comes up.

Nope. If they run your tag, all that comes up is the VIN, registered owner, address, registration number, expiration date, and tag issue date.

No other information about the owner comes up.

Now, I could take the name and address and find the registered owner. Showing me all of his information. DL #, permit status, expiration date, DOB, Social Security number, etc...

But That's not supposed to be done unless requested by the officer.

-Mike