East TN Member November Shoot-n-Camp

I obtained permission today from mark@sea to utilize his shooting range for our November shoot. The date of the shoot is November 15. Third Saturday just like always.

I would like to make this a cool weather camp out as well. Anyway I am planning to camp on Friday night and maybe Saturday night as well if anyone wants to stay Saturday night. I will see if I can talk my wife into making a pot of Chili for lunch on Saturday during the shoot.

Shoot start time will be at 11:00 AM. Shoot ends when everyone has had enough trigger time.

For those of you that have not been at Mark's this is a range on private property. There are pistol lanes and a hundred yard rifle range.

I will post up some driving direction in a little bit.

From Knoxville it is roughly a 90 odd minute drive from Knoxville Center Mall to Mark's place in Kingsport.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2330478111_cda34625b1_o.jpg

OK, let's add a few more comments.

The map above shows I-181. It is now I-26.

Coming up to Kingsport on I-81, get off at exit 57 then take I-26 toward Kingsport (go under the bridge before you exit). Go over the ridge past the Meadowview Convention Center and down the steep hill over the big river bridge to the 11-W (Stone Drive) exit This will be the 4th exit after getting on I-26. . Exit .to Stone Drive then turn left under the I-26 bridge and keep going till you go past Wal-Mart and over the river bridge and turn left on Netherland Inn Road, the first traffic light past Wal-Mart. McDonald's is just past this turn.

added Directions

Once you've turned on Netherland Inn, you will go less than 1/2 mile. Just before crossing the old bridge at Rotherwood Mansion, take a left turn onto Big Elm Rd.

Stay on Big Elm. (You will go under 11-W) When the road splits or turns, stay with the river. (The split goes up to the left and down to the right. You want to go down to the right) When you get to a 'T', take a right (staying with the river). You are looking for Clicktown Rd on the right. If you miss it, you'll see a brick church in front of you, eventually, so turn around.

Once turning on Clicktown - Go approx 200 feet - the road will T. Take the left (gravel). Drive 1/4 mile. (The road will fork. To the left, up the hill, is a mobile home. Don't go this way. Take the right fork, downhill into the woods.) You will be back on pavement. Stay on the pavement until you see the range on your right. (Mark's driveway is on the left at the lantern)

Click here to view this one post to print.

Edited by Mike.357

I'll see about taking that Friday off and camping Friday. I don't know about Saturday. We will probably need some firewood, eh, Mike? I wonder if there is someplace local we could buy some. If not, I can haul enough up for the fire pit.

I will most likely go. You can ride with me if you want. Maybe we can get someone else from around Oak Ridge to come along.

Maybe actually get Phantom down for a shoot!

I'll see about taking that Friday off and camping Friday. I don't know about Saturday. We will probably need some firewood, eh, Mike? I wonder if there is someplace local we could buy some. If not, I can haul enough up for the fire pit.

there should be plenty of wood up there on the property suntzu. if you need more, I can always get sue to let Mike use the chainsaw and cut more..there's quite a few trees laying sideways around there..they'll burn quite well..just bring some steel wool slathered in vaseline to start it..

This'll be a long drive.

myth. it is a beautiful drive and for me only slightly longer than going to OR or Clinton.

Gas is relatively cheap now days too.

Tower I am guessing you will be deeper in the south in two weeks but I was hoping you all would be there. But too I know how it goes.

Suntzu, there was a woodpile by the camping area. Also I can bring some wood from here. My woodpile is not depleted yet. No need to buy wood. I can also bring a propane heater.

just bring some steel wool slathered in vaseline to start it

One word, trioxane :whistle:

I can't take the day off but should be able to bail out early in the afternoon. I will have my stuff packed up in advance so I can leave right from work. We will have to co-ordinate time and such. did you talk Kat into coming?

I hope we have a good turnout. Always a lot of fun up there.

Edited by Mike.357

I think I might have a triox bar or two left. :death: Steel wool works as well, but I'm afraid of what Mike might do around vaseline. ;)

Kat won't be there, she has a chance to win a trip to the World Series of Poker. I have a propane heater that I can bring as well.

Thanks for the info on the trees Elliot. I didn't want to disturb anything without permission.

Hi All

Have fun! There should be a little firewood remaining, but you're welcome to cut your own. If you keep the fire going 'till 3 a.m. again you'll probably have to. My chainsaw is out of commission - needs to go to the shop, sorry.

Probably the best thing to have in the tent (beside your significant other) would be a 12 ga. shotgun. There are a couple at the house you can borrow - just take the bayonet off the trench gun if you decide that floats your boat, please. You don't want to be swinging a 16 inch bayonet in a tent, anyway... The riot gun is loaded with slug, might want to swap that for buck or buck and ball... There is a Garand, a couple of carbines, and several M1A's available for those who want to try them (Sorry, the new garand is off-limits :D ). As always, coleman lanterns and stoves available to those who need 'em.

I was thinking a shotgun loaded up might make a good camp gun considering the cat and bear in the area.

We should be good to go on firewood. I have a pretty large pile of cut wood here, if I need more I have a working chainsaw and a maul for splitting. A good fire is a tried and true method for critter control.

It would be perfect if the weather is as nice as it was this weekend.

Mark i will not forget to bring the Browning with me either.

Guest Boomhower

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....You guys are crazy :tinfoil:. I just got back today from a boy scout camping trip this past weekend. Let's just say, brrrrrrr......Woke up this moning and it was something like 36 degrees out. While my 7 yr old slept perfectly (in his sleeping bag and BOTH extra blankets), dad didn't fair out so well.....oh, and I also found out that being the dad is the worst of camping.....It was all worth it though. My son had a great 1st time camping experience and can't wait to go back again. :eek::tinfoil:

Hey Boom, have I got a deal for you... Your 7 year old likes camping? Next time I am home, (March, maybe?) bring him up to the house and we'll set him up with a Coleman lantern and stove - good ones.

You still after a .22 for him? How about a .410? If you don't have the scratch for the mossberg combo, I have a single shot .410 I'll give him, if he can recite the boy scout oath, the 4 rules, and the second amendment :eek:

But you gotta cover the sales tax - say a large chocolate shake?

Cheesy, maybe, but I was a scout myself.

Edited by Mark@Sea

the average temp. here around Nashville, in the evenings is around 32-37 degrees. believe me, I know what it is, since I'm on the towers at night now.

I will try and get up there this coming weekend...don't know if I'll be able to but I DO need to put the top on the jeep...any volunteers to help? Julie can't help, not strong enough to lift the top onto the jeep.

If I come you can bet your hiney that I'll have an old extreme cold weather sleeping bag..army type.

I love winter camping. This sleeping bag handles the cold. I picked it up at Gander Mtn. It's like sleeping in a huge Carrhart jacket.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=36752&aID=72J&cID=FROOGLE_36752

I also have some heavy moving blankets that I picked up at Lowes for $15 each. Mainly, keep your body off the ground with a ground mat of some sort. Mike, save your twinkie wrappers.

Guest Boomhower
Hey Boom, have I got a deal for you... Your 7 year old likes camping? Next time I am home, (March, maybe?) bring him up to the house and we'll set him up with a Coleman lantern and stove - good ones.

You still after a .22 for him? How about a .410? If you don't have the scratch for the mossberg combo, I have a single shot .410 I'll give him, if he can recite the boy scout oath, the 4 rules, and the second amendment :)

But you gotta cover the sales tax - say a large chocolate shake?

Cheesy, maybe, but I was a scout myself.

I've backed off the .22 idea for now. He still isn't displined enough with his bb gun yet, for me to hand him a .22.

As for the .410.......we're working on the scout stuff now (this is his first year, "Tiger cub"), we've went over the 4 rules many times....and the 2nd amendment, well heck, I can't even recite without botching it :lol:, but be careful making statements like that. Riley has a memory like an elephant :P.

Guest Boomhower
I love winter camping. This sleeping bag handles the cold. I picked it up at Gander Mtn. It's like sleeping in a huge Carrhart jacket.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=36752&aID=72J&cID=FROOGLE_36752

I also have some heavy moving blankets that I picked up at Lowes for $15 each. Mainly, keep your body off the ground with a ground mat of some sort. Mike, save your twinkie wrappers.

Yes, admittedly there were a couple of mistakes on my part. This sleeping bag is a lot bulkier than the one I have had since I was 10, and I didn't have any mats or anything to put between us and the ground. But then again, I've not been camping since I was a kid myself. I have already made a list of things that are needed before the next camping trip.:lol:

I've backed off the .22 idea for now. He still isn't displined enough with his bb gun yet, for me to hand him a .22.

As for the .410.......we're working on the scout stuff now (this is his first year, "Tiger cub"), we've went over the 4 rules many times....and the 2nd amendment, well heck, I can't even recite without botching it :lol:, but be careful making statements like that. Riley has a memory like an elephant :P.

No Worries! I got it at a good price, for another kid who, due to unfortunate family events, left the state. It is a youth model, great shape, wood furniture, about as useful to me as a slingshot. I'd put it in the classifieds if I could ensure it would go to a youth shooter.

Maybe I'll use it as a prize at a shoot, if we get some young shooters (8-14?) up sometime.

Edited by Mark@Sea
Yes, admittedly there were a couple of mistakes on my part. This sleeping bag is a lot bulkier than the one I have had since I was 10, and I didn't have any mats or anything to put between us and the ground. But then again, I've not been camping since I was a kid myself. I have already made a list of things that are needed before the next camping trip.:lol:

were I to camp now, I'd roll my sleeping bag up around an army cot, then strap it onto my backpack.. the best way to sleep! or better yet, throw it in the storage area right next to the army sleeping mat.

:P

No Worries! I got it at a good price, for another kid who, due to unfortunate family events, left the state. It is a youth model, great shape, wood furniture, about as useful to me as a slingshot. I'd put it in the classifieds if I could ensure it would go to a youth shooter.

Maybe I'll use it as a prize at a shoot, if we get some young shooters (8-14?) up sometime.

.140=Great youth shotgun.

That contest for younger shooters is a GREAT idea, we just need more younger shooters :lol:

cold weather camping is the best. You can always add a sweatshirt or something to get warm. Hot weather camping is the worst, you can only strip down so far, and even then it does not make you much cooler.

Daniel is right about something on the ground being key. Even a few pieces of cardboard work. 32 at night sounds just about right for me. Twinkie wrappers on the floor of the tent and I am good to go :lol: That or moving blankets, they make good insulation for the tent florr. I use a self inflating sleeping mat. Works perfect. Another good trick is to not sleep in you pants but rather sleep on them, when you put them on in the AM they are nice and warm. Sleeping bags, even inexpensive ones generally keep anyone warm enough. And not sleeeping in all you clothes makes for a better nights sleep. Long johns or sweat pants are good for sleep.

Anyone besides me and Daniel going to man up and camp?