Don't be Jealous - Nelson .22 1911 Conversion

graycrait

I can't remember if I already posted this but some of you may know that the Nelson conversion has done well in bullseye competition this year and apparently had more than a good showing at Camp Perry.  This is the conversion that Bob Marvel, formerly of Marvel Precision (he left in 2003), has been working on for some years. This was also marketed by Nighthawk for a awhile.  Larry Nelson is and has been a close associate of Bob Marvel's.  Anyway, Larry Nelson and his son decided to market this conversion.  Barrels are Shilen and machining is done by McMillan.  From what I have seen on targettalk and rimfirecentral is that the Nelson conversion and his customer service are first tier.  Mine should be arriving by Fedex in the next couple of days. I'm getting the threaded barrel conversion with small fiber optic front sight and adjustable rear.  I may get a rail later for a red dot. 

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=29

Got my Nelson Conversion today, 2-13-2015.  With slide and empty mag this weighs 38.5oz.

IMG_20150213_092201_724_zps486f7bbf.jpg[/URL]

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

I got one of Larry's conversions last summer, specifically to use with a Dan Wesson CCO. When I tried it out, it would not cycle for sh!t. Called Larry and he explained some steps to improve it. Tried all of them and still no go. Wound up sending it back along with the pistol in order to figure out why. I had predicted it was because DW is well known for making all their own parts and making them slightly oversized. Wound up being the disconnector being too tight for the lightweight conversion to work the slide and the ejector being oversized.

Worked on it, got it running,, did a trigger job, function tested with both .45 & .22 and sent it back to me in about 2 weeks. Runs flawlessly. I would recommend Larry's conversion in a heart beat.

So what makes this one better that the Kimber?

Long story short......... Kimber and others use Marvel's original design of which he no longer has rights to and it is mass produced. Bob Marvel was screwed out of his own design many years ago. He and Nelson got together, talked about the conversion, redesigned it together and are now producing an updated version of the original on machinery that cost big bucks. New version is much more accurate and much better built.

• Like 1

Larry Nelson's conversion is Camp Perry quality.  He now has 3 chamber grades, plinking, match and bullseye, but I think most sent out are bullseye (tightest) unless otherwise specified.  The Kimber conversion (I have friends who have them) is a decent range gun.  Nelson's conversion is bullseye competition capable.  Am I, doubt it, but have hung around those sorts of guys just to see what it takes.  I have too many other hobbies and probably some inherent shortcomings.  I figured with 485.00 to the door, why not get the best?  I can't wait to go shooting one of these days with my TGO'r friend who has a Clark Custom S&W 41 or my other buddy who has a Sig Target Elite SAO 220 in .22lr. The good thing about Larry's conversion is that he is a shooter and has a reputation in the bullseye community with this conversion.  The above comment highlights Larry's commitment to customer service. I actually expect some hiccups because I refuse to shoot anything but standard velocity ammo.  But I like to tinker and figure I will have a great shooting conversion when I am finished.  

If I had wanted minute-of-beer-can accuracy I would have just got another Advantage Arms conversion for a Glock. Had several of those and never was impressed. 

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

A top of line .22 1911 for $485 otd seems like a great value. I would expect some hiccups during break - in since it's manufactured to tight tolerances. Can't wait to get the review!

This is just for a upper. I'm sure whatever lower you put it on will affect its performance. Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1

I put the Nelson on a little used Springfield Loaded frame and tossed the .45 upper in an ammo can where it might reside for the rest of its days.  I have yet to do any serious trigger/hammer/sear disconnector work on the 1911 but fully expect to have to do some work to get a standard velocity round to work well.  Maybe not, but am not holding out for a miracle. I may have to work on the ejector as it appears that some Springfield ejectors might not work well with the Nelson unit.   I accumulated 8 bricks or so of sv ammo to try out with this conversion so I have got to get them to work.   I expect to need to radius and smooth the hammer where the slide hits it as it cocks the hammer and maybe a lighter mainspring.  Hope to get to a range this next week. 

Here is what Clark Custom is doing:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/marvel1911conversion.html

Rob Leatham:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1R4nvsvbQs

From 1911forums:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=462487

from Targettalk.org:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=45713

from rimfirecentral.com, read #14:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527269

Edited by graycrait