Savage A17 Semi-auto. .17 HMR

I had a Savage 93R17 for a while and it was a blast to shoot. I don't varmint hunt, but I've seen videos of rabbits being shot with it and there wasn't much left. I've shot at soda bottles full of water. If you lay it down and shoot the top of the cap, it will splay the neck wide open and there is no exit hole. With those ballistic tips they are quite devastating.

It is very accurate out to 100 yards or so, but like a lot of others have said, a little wind plays havoc with it because it is too light. It also drops off significantly after 150 yards or so.

My problem with it was cost. I gave it up in favor or .223 since I don't hunt with it. Not only do I get better ballistics, but I can custom load for less.

Netminder, the more I look at "the big picture", the more I see wisdom in your words. Like you, I too am a reloader, and reload my own .223 for the three guns I have in .223. It does cost less for me to reload a .223 round than it does for me to buy a round of .17 HMR.

My Savage A17 in .17 HMR fever has cooled considerably, since I started this thread. I was thinking of it primarily as a small varmint gun... and coyotes too. I'm thinking the 17 WSM may be a better coyote round...now... if Savage will include that caliber in the A17... and add a wood stock of some respectability, I'll buy one!

Gliderman...do you fly gliders/sail planes? Just asking as I've been a pilot for most of my adult life...more years than I want to admit. But I digress!

Tell us about your A17. Have you done any hunting with it yet... has it drawn blood? Give us a field/range report. Are you shooting the ammo designed for it, or have you tried different brands? If game, what game have you taken with it... any coyotes?

Do you have any experience with the round in a bolt action? If so, could you give us a comparrison between the two? Did you get the wood or synthetic stock? Are you satisfied with it's accuracy and overall performance?

I've been flying since I was 16. 44 years.
Hang glide mostly these days, every now and then burn some avgas.
I've done some sailplaning, but found it to be uninspiring as well as a yacht-club mentality in the sport. Expensive to do, and hg is dirt cheap and lots safer. And lots more fun and the folks are nice.

Range only so far. Using the a17 ammo by CCI, no issues as to cycling.
Once I got the scope dialed in it was dead on target.
Nikon 3x9x40 scope, sighted in for 100 yards. That range fits my hunting area. Made me up a little range card for shorter or longer shot placement.
Tried the standard ammo and I can't tell any difference.
Synthetic stock.
I've no experience with a bolt action rifle in this caliber.

So far it's proven to be a nice weapon.
I've no doubt it'll do a number on those pesky varmints!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by Gliderman166
  • Like 1

I've been flying since I was 16. 44 years.
Hang glide mostly these days, every now and then burn some avgas.
I've done some sailplaning, but found it to be uninspiring as well as a yacht-club mentality in the sport. Expensive to do, and hg is dirt cheap and lots safer. And lots more fun and the folks are nice.
Range only so far. Using the a17 ammo by CCI, no issues as to cycling.
Once I got the scope dialed in it was dead on target.
Nikon 3x9x40 scope, sighted in for 100 yards. That range fits my hunting area. Made me up a little range card for shorter or longer shot placement.
Tried the standard ammo and I can't tell any difference.
Synthetic stock.

I went up to a mountain near Chattanooga years ago and watched the hang gliders jump off the mountain...and land in a meadow down where we were. Who knows, you may have been one of them. I believe some were tandem.

You'll have to keep us updated on the results with your gun and ammo... especially if you give Mr. Coyote a dirt nap. What do you mostly plan to hunt with it? I liked the one I got to inspect and hold in my hands at Academy Sports the other day. They had plenty of the A17 ammo too. Was tempting!
I've no experience with a bolt action rifle in this caliber.
So far it's proven to be a nice weapon.
I've no doubt it'll do a number on those pesky varmints!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk