New CMP Rules

FINALLY - - - Optics and Collapsible stocks allowed in CMP Service Rifle Matches!  :woohoo:

Details here........

Yup, this is a Big Deal and long due!  I think its a good thing.  These CMP rules more or less lets everybody shoot what ever they bring to a match so long as it has a 4.5 pound trigger and no muzzle break (military configuration is flash hider only).

However, I am surprised that they didn't break it out for irons and optics.  My guess that this is the beginning of the transition away from iron sights.  This is sort of like when the NRA no longer required that the bullet be loadable in the mag for slow fire stages.  This led to the long and heavy 5.56 rounds that killed off the M14...., since the only real advantage that the M14 had was its heavier bullet at the 600 yard line.

The NRA will have to follow along for its High Power Rifle matches or it will be left to a few old diehards who refuse to come into the 21st Century.

I'd be interested in seeing what the AMU comes up with to shoot the EIC matches.

Hmmmmm...., I do have this spare flattop upper!  :dirty:
I knew it was coming and I understand their reasoning. I've had new junior shooters that have never shot a rifle without optics. I' m glad to see they put a 11.5 pound weight limit on rifles with optics, may or may not give the iron shooters a little advantage but I like it. Kind of surprised the M14's are still iron sights only. I guess some of the the optics manufacturers already have some 4.5 X specific scopes with 200, 300 amd 600 yard come ups in the works.

I like the change.  :up:

I didn't shoot a non optic M16/M4/M4A1/HK416 during my last 10 years in the Army.

Today I have to backward train a new competitor to shoot with iron sights. I often see multiple combat tour veterans who have never fired an M16A2.

• Like 1

I like the change. :up:
I didn't shoot a non optic M16/M4/M4A1/HK416 during my last 10 years in the Army.

Today I have to backward train a new competitor to shoot with iron sights. I often see multiple combat tour veterans who have never fired an M16A2.

Yeah even support dudes have M68s at least - "richer" units all have M134s or ACOGs slapped on everything.

Hell - their are not even BUIS on the M4A1s in my unit.

Shooting irons seems to be a lost art - I guess I am ass backwards, I cannot hit the broadside of Hillary Clintons rear end with optics.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
221 Fireball, on 26 Oct 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Interesting topic, looks like iron sighters will go the way of fly fishermen and recurve/longbow shooters ... damn elitists!  :rofl:

Maybe....., Maybe Not.

I'm betting most folks will find that trying to control the wobble-zone while standing and using a 4x scope at the 200 yard line is easier said than done.

However, the question I have already asked using the CMP Instructor email is in regard to using variable power scopes like the ELCAN SpecterDR 1-4x.  SOCOM units are using that scope and its beginning to be found in regular units.  So its an issued optic for the service.  I haven't heard back from the CMP on that one yet.

Even if variables are approved, I don't see a lot of shooters running out and buying the ELCAN at $2K+.  However, a company like Primary Arms could developed a clone and that would be a game-changer.

• Like 1