1911 Magwell for IDPA gun??

Reading over the CDP rules for IDPA it looks like I can add a magwell and basepads to my mags as long as it fits in the box and doesn't weigh over 43oz total. I am looking for a light and minimal magwell. Just something to aid in reloads but not big and bulky. Anyone have any suggestions to start with? I have never messed with magwells so I don't know where to begin.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want minimal but still very functional try the TechWells. Grip/mag well combat that I really like. But for a full size and still fitting the box the Dawson Ice is hard to beat. Just make sure like ItchyTriggerFinger said, get the Dawson base pads cause the angle cut is needed.

I use the Dawson MO Gap Magwell and the Dawson No Gap basepads. The base pads are angle cut to fit the box.

If you want minimal but still very functional try the TechWells. Grip/mag well combat that I really like. But for a full size and still fitting the box the Dawson Ice is hard to beat. Just make sure like ItchyTriggerFinger said, get the Dawson base pads cause the angle cut is needed.

I'll check those out. Hopefully I can get my hand on one installed locally and give it a feel. I am also looking at ambi safeties now trying to decide if I want/need one. The few I've felt I didn't care for but that was before I really had any time on a 1911. It would only be for competition purposes when shooting offhand but I just don't see many stages being set where I have to pick up the loaded gun on safe with my weak hand. Any other time I'm fine with transitioning without putting it on safe. Any thoughts?

I use the ambi safety for an anchor point. Just like shooting a bow, you want the same "anchor points" so you have a repeatable and solid presentation. Thumb on top safety also helps force the high grip that will help if you have muzzle flip during off hand shooting.