1022 experiment

graycrait

Interesting experiment. I misappropriated 6 of my wife's thick rubbery hair bands. The barrel is 28.5" Urban Rifle Supply in a Ruger 1022 receiver, Kidd bolt, Boyds stock with Rimfire Technologies bedding system, Japan vintage Tasco 8.5-32-44 AO Target Dot, DNZ one-piece scope rings, trigger by Plinker4life. Barrels, regardless of how thick, oscillate 360 degrees when the bullet is fired through it. By moving the rubber bands over the length of the barrel changes can be made in the oscillation - that is theory. I wonder if it would improve centerfire benchrest rifles? I've used rubber o-rings and rubber castration rings, but these hair bands seem to work more dramatically. I was shooting some slightly larger than one hole groups with the bands as you see them, I moved 2 up within 1" of the end of the barrel and the groups was still tight but lower.  The barrel is supported in front of the receiver and has a closed cell foam barrel pressure pad 1" behind the end of the stock.

long%20barrel%20tasco%20green%20boyds_zp

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 5

It would require q lot of testing. Yes, your barrel is oscillating, and any changes (whether you think it’s the hair bands, or it’s simply environmental changes) will impact your POI.
When you can repeatedly and controllably, at will, move your POI by placement of the bands; you will be on to something. Sounds like a good project which should get you plenty of trigger time. biggrin.gif Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

I went over to visit Plinker4life and tested out the rubber hair gizmos to see if they altered point of impact.  They did not.   

P.S. The reason I got the long barrel was to shoot 29grain CCI CB Longs and other quiet rounds (without an NFA device) when my neighbor's chickens here in town were attacked by marauding varmints.  As life would have it they got divorced, wife got the Yorkie and the chickens and moved about 2 miles down the road, husband moved out of state.  I have something in mind for the long barrel but FJ Feddersen out of Loudon, TN will have to release his new 10/22 receivers before I can do it. 

Edited by graycrait
addition

I have spoke to Feddersen. I was flying out to go overseas and he was in McGhee Tyson waiting on his flight. I don't remember who or why it started but the conversation ended with him talking about his barrels. He gave me his card and I forgot about him until you sent me one of his barrels. Nice enough guy and if I remember correctly he made his money in the bowling industry. Then he figured out a better way to rifle a barrel and started that venture. I do remember him saying his barrel's bores were measured in microns for uniformity.

And if you decide to get into a silencer send me a barrel to thread.

My nitrided Federssen barrel shoots at least as good as any GM barrel I have had so am happy with it.  If the McGowan barrel shoots as good as the Fed or the GM barrelled 1022s I have I will be OK with that. I need to suck it up one day and get a suppressor. If I ever get a .920 or 1" suppressor you will be the guy I will send my barrels to. I would think that a 29" threaded barrel with a decent suppressor with the right ammo could be fun as heck.