What Mega AR to build next?

JohnC

So I have 3 Mega Arms sets I need to build, but I can't decide what direction I want to go (guess that happens when you have so many good choices to choose from).

I have a Mega billet AR15 set, a Mega billet AR15 set with keymod mid-length rail, and a Mega Maten billet .308 set.

Megas.jpeg.5024af4d8920673be392f3c844cb3

Ideas floating in my heard are:

A .300blk pistol or SBR

A precision heavy barrel AR15, but not sure what caliber. Maybe 6.8 SPC (if they'll fit in pmag's, reliably feed, etc.)?

A precision Mega Maten .308 heavy barrel rifle.

What do you guys think?

23 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Build the big boy.  308 or 260 would be fun too.  I just finished my 308 and I have to say I had the most fun building it vs. my AR-15's.

This makes sense. I have a lot of AR15's, but only one .308 which is the Sig 716. Hmmm.... 

Edited by JohnC

I seriously considered making mine a 260, but wanted to keep the barrel short enough to make it feasible to shoot off hand.  To get the most out of the 260 you need at least a 26" barrel and that was just too long for what I wanted.  Ended up with a 20" 308, but by the time I add the suppressor, it is still very long.

• Like 1
On July 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM, jphillips63 said:

I would look into a 6.5 CM with a 22" barrel

I'm going to start reading up on this because I'm really wanting to build something accurate with that Mega Maten set.

Do you have a 6.5 CM AR? 

50 Beowulf pistol would put one of the sets to good use. I takes hours to wipe the smile off my face after shooting the 59 Beowulf from a 10.5 inch barrel. It has a very unique sound and everybody within 15 feet of you feels the concussion from the muzzle brake. Very satisfying. If you want you want to give mine a test run to see if you would like it just let me know .

• Like 1

6.5 vs 260 should be equally accurate. It is about the load like always. I like 260 as it is based on the 308 cartridge so you can always make brass. That said, I would buy Lapua brass for either.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, lordjackel said:

Go 260 Rem....flat shooting with a great BC.  I ping steel at 1000+ regularly. Just all around fun to shoot. 

Here is a pic of my Mega Maten Build

DSC00658_zpsdf11abfb.jpg

Now THAT is a beautiful rifle! 

Can you share build/parts specs? 

26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Looks very similar to mine other than mine is 308.  Looks like all JP Rifle parts.  Can't tell if it is a JP receiver set or not.  My specs are in my thread, but it is very similar.  I literally just finished it.  I think you go to Strategic Edge don't you?  I can meet up with you one day at the range if you want to check mine out.

13 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I think you go to Strategic Edge don't you?  I can meet up with you one day at the range if you want to check mine out.

I do go to Strategic Edge. I'm going to be doing a lot of OT at work, so I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance to go again and we'll meet up! :up: 

If you want to try out my Mega Pistol, let me know and I'll bring it along. Not sure what else I have that you'd want to shoot. Maybe the AR50-A1B 50 BMG? 

AR50_ready.jpg

Here goes Tony when he tested it out...

Tony_AR50_shot_dial_in.jpg

Tony_1000_AR50_1.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, JohnC said:
4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I do go to Strategic Edge. I'm going to be doing a lot of OT at work, so I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance to go again and we'll meet up! :up: 

If you want to try out my Mega Pistol, let me know and I'll bring it along. Not sure what else I have that you'd want to shoot. Maybe the AR50-A1B 50 BMG? 

I might take you up on that.  I am not much into recoil, but may try it once.   I am out there usually a couple of times a week, so just let me know.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Thank you!  I wanted a show piece / tack driver and think I succeeded with it. 

Specs:

260 Rem

Mega Maten matched upper/lower

JP 22" 1:8 Barrel / with Red Thermal Dissipator

JP Handguard / JP Enhanced Bolt / JP Captured Buffer / Adjustable Gas System

Magpull Furniture

Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x 50 FFP

• Like 2