Bank Carry?

Guest httytddy

Guest Boomhower
No, a transfer occurrs when ownership of the gun goes from the dealer to the acquirer. The background check merely confirms that the buyer is not a prohibited person. The information on the gun is, I suspect, to check for stolen weapons. All of that information is supposed to be destroyed after 72 hours (altho I suspect ATF keeps the records anyway).

So if someone walks in with his granddaddy's Colt Official Police and wants it "registered in my name" I cannot do a 4473 and background check since the gun was never on my books.

And yes, TBI charges us $10 for each check. And one dealer I am aware of charges their customers $13 for the same thing.

Here in TN we have No gun "registeration" the info that is used to do your "background" check is done is deleted after (I'm not sure but you said 72 hrs). but the 4473 is kept for 20 years.

I got the 72 hrs. from Rabbi's post above. I have no idea and am taking him at his word as he does these transactions all the time.

2 You fill out a 4473 so they can be traced back to you at any given time.

That's what I was needing to know. Maybe registeration was the wrong word for me to use in my seniro.

So is there any way to get the 4473 of that gun out of your name, or anytime you buy a gun from a gun shop (new or used) your name will be tied to that gun for the stated period of time?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, if the gun gets used in a crime the cops will run the number back to the manufacturer, who will tell them it was shipped to this distributor or this dealer. Then they will call the dealer and ask about a gun that was received on such a such a date. The dealer will look through his bound book and 4473s and report he sold the gun to so and so on this date, and so and so can be found at this address. Then they call so and so and ask about the gun. So and so tells them he sold the gun/the gun was stolen on this date. End of line.

Guest Boomhower
So and so tells them he sold the gun

In which case you still need to have your butt covered, right? Unless you want to be subjected to countless hours of questioning, test, so forth and so on.....

Look at it from the cops' perspective. You're Joe Citizen. You live in Hendersonville. You bought the gun legally so have no criminal record. The murder was committed in North Nashville at 2AM. How likely is it that you are the killer and how likely is it that your story is true?

I had a customer who tried to sell a gun that turned out to be stolen. Cops came and got it along with phone number of customer. I think they called him. He gave them his story (he bought it off a guy from an ad in Traders Post) and that was the end of it.

Destroying the records was a big deal not too long ago. Janet Reno was keeping them indefinitely against federal law. When Gonzalez took over he obeyed the law and destroyed all the old records. I hope that our law makers will observe the laws they make. Some dreams come true!?