Got bored and didn't hunt but one morning

So this is what I spent my evenings on.

Not a bad way to blow some time with my youngest son.

Replaced the 12 30-06 I shot zeroing and practicing before the season.

Loaded up all the 458 Socom I had in the tumbler as well as some .45 ACP.

You can see some of the variety in the 458 with just these three loadings plus I have two other bullet types I don't have any cases to put in right now.

300 grain JHPs

405 grain SPs

330 grain Barnes solids (hole punchers!)

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

Looks good, real good. I bet any of that would knock a deer down fast.

I did a large batch (50) of 130gr fbhp's in .308 over Christmas week. Use em for deer or range plinking. I need to get going on some more 7.62x39.

You didn't miss much this afternoon I'm thinking. I walked about 5 miles of mostly fence and some trail all afternoon looking for sign and there wasn't any since the rain last night. Saw exactly one fresh track. Nobody did any shooting in our area.

Guest Bronker

Still contemplating the socom, RW! I keep that spent casing in my car from the day I met you, and fondle it quite often just to keep my interest up!

P.S. I finally sighted in the optics on my AR, so we are still on for coyotes this winter. The way the deer are moving, we may be going earlier!!! I kept your cell number.

Yeah, the middle son of three and I went Saturday morning and saw a nice red tail hawk hunting squirrels but that was it. I decided to stay home the rest of the weekend. Have to work Mon and Tues but then off to Wayne Co to hunt till at least Saturday evening. I'm not sold on the 2nd rut scenario, especially this year but maybe I'll get lucky and see some action. Will be taking the two young ones so I do more teaching than hunting in that scenario and usually let the young one take the shot if we do see something.

Good luck to all. Start reloading!

I know one or two folks here are either shooting the 458 or looking to in the future. If you don't reload, let me know and I'll take the brass off your hands. We might even work something else out where you can use my dies and I can trade you some data for some brass and such..

Still contemplating the socom, RW! I keep that spent casing in my car from the day I met you, and fondle it quite often just to keep my interest up!

P.S. I finally sighted in the optics on my AR, so we are still on for coyotes this winter. The way the deer are moving, we may be going earlier!!! I kept your cell number.

Sure thing Bronker! I'm always up for busting yotes! I know I'm hunting this weekend but we can look at any weekend after that.

Guest Bronker
Sure thing Bronker! I'm always up for busting yotes! I know I'm hunting this weekend but we can look at any weekend after that.

Definitely! I will call you. I'm gathering up some possibilities for land we can hunt in addition to the land I hunt deer and coons on. I'll be in touch.

Are you reloading any .223? Or 'unloading' any more wolf plinker? I'm going through that bunch I got from you last time already.

No more Wolf left and the 500 Brown Bear I have I'll try to hold on to. I also have around 1K of brass loadings but I'm definitely holding on to that stuff as I can reload it.

I did tumble about 200 cases of .223 this weekend but haven't had time to trim and size yet. I usually run out of stuff to reload in February as I prep and load every piece of brass I have during the cold ugly days between hunting seasons. Next up, Turkey!

We can also head to Wayne Co if your up for a road trip!

Guest Bronker
No more Wolf left and the 500 Brown Bear I have I'll try to hold on to. I also have around 1K of brass loadings but I'm definitely holding on to that stuff as I can reload it.

I did tumble about 200 cases of .223 this weekend but haven't had time to trim and size yet. I usually run out of stuff to reload in February as I prep and load every piece of brass I have during the cold ugly days between hunting seasons. Next up, Turkey!

We can also head to Wayne Co if your up for a road trip!

Ammo: I hear ya!!

Turkey: started thinking about them as I sat in my deer stand opening morning! Love hunting the ThunderChickens!!! Maybe we can do that too!!

Dogs: Wayne Co., Dickson Co. We can hit them all eventually!! I think jcochran88 from here will join us. He's good people, and has a huge farm in Dickson Co.

We will be in touch!

Guest Mugster
Yeah, the middle son of three and I went Saturday morning and saw a nice red tail hawk hunting squirrels but that was it. I decided to stay home the rest of the weekend. Have to work Mon and Tues but then off to Wayne Co to hunt till at least Saturday evening. I'm not sold on the 2nd rut scenario, especially this year but maybe I'll get lucky and see some action. Will be taking the two young ones so I do more teaching than hunting in that scenario and usually let the young one take the shot if we do see something.

Good luck to all. Start reloading!

I know one or two folks here are either shooting the 458 or looking to in the future. If you don't reload, let me know and I'll take the brass off your hands. We might even work something else out where you can use my dies and I can trade you some data for some brass and such..

Oh yeah, I handload. All my hunting rounds are handloads. I'll shoot factory in a pinch or to plink, but I became an ammo snob a long time ago. My stuff is alot better, usually.

I picked up 400 7.62x39 cases, dang hard to come by as you know, from that range over there by lebanon state park. River bend or something. The only thing that comes to mind about the place is I don't like shooting there much. They have alot of rules. But they sell brass and dirt cheap, and you can get nearly any caliber if you put in an order. I think I paid $20 for 400 basically once fired winchester cases. I don't have a number, my buddy got it for me as part of a bigger order.