Hiking boots?

I would not buy 511 or Gander Mountain  I used them on the farm and both soles separated from the top of the boot.  had to Gorilla glue them together  looking down I could see my socks.     Looking for good boots to   Or more Gorilla Glue lol.  following 

• Like 1

Hiking boots have gone up like everything else. I'd suggest you go to a local outdoors place and try on what they've got. Seems like a lot of them come with garbage insoles, so think about adding some decent footbeds to the list. 

Good boots ain't cheap. They're well worth the price. Your feet will thank you. 😉

Check military surplus. Their boots are made for walking. And walking... and walking..... 🙄

Also check into tennis shoes made specifically for walking. Cheaper and more comfortable. Plus, you don't need to break them in as much. 

I've got a pair of Vasque hiking shoes I bought back in 1988 when I was a Scout leader. Still have 'em and they're still in good shape. I can't even guess how many miles are on them. 👍

Whatever you buy, be sure to wear them daily and break them in good well before your trip. Otherwise, you'll end up with very sore and blistered feet. I've seen it happen too many times. 😵

My Wife got a no-name amazon boot for $30 and said they work fine, but she's only been on concrete. I've hiked in my work boots, but they are steel toe with reinforced soles.  They all weigh a ton. 

All the reviews for boots are al over the place. 

Posted (edited)

I've tried any different brands but always come back to timberland mainly because they are all leather. They just seem to last longer for me but I'm rough on them.

They do take a little time to break in but once they are I'm good all day in them.

Edited by -boatman-
Added info.
6 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

What hiking boots are you guys rocking? I'm probably going to be doing about 25 miles over the course of a week and I need decent boots, but I don't want to drop $200 either. 

Spend the money. Your feet will thank you. 

My go to for years has been Lowa Tibet GTX, until apack rat got a hold of them in Wyoming last year.  I downgraded to a pair of Lowa Ticam II, but they're just as good. Same shank & footbed, but a slightly lower cuff. They take some breaking in (probably 40 miles, at least) but once they're broke, they fit like slippers. 

I have a pair of Hi-tec ultralight boots that are great for day hikes, I can really notice the light weight. They are probably 10 yrs old and still look and feel great. But I dont hike a lot-lol, couple times a year. If I was doing a multi-day hike I'd do a little research before buying a pair.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Tom B said:

I have a pair of Hi-tec ultralight boots that are great for day hikes, I can really notice the light weight. They are probably 10 yrs old and still look and feel great. But I dont hike a lot-lol, couple times a year. If I was doing a multi-day hike I'd do a little research before buying a pair.

I wore some hi-tec boots in the 90s when I was in the military.  I liked them at the time. I’m healing from my broken ankle and am hoping the doc takes me out of this medical ‘boot’ soon, so I’m looking for some boots too, mainly for ankle support. Don’t hike and really don’t do much walking either, but my ankle needs support.  I’ve got a pair of Merrill hiking shoes that I really like so I may look at their boots too.  I hate ordering footwear online as I can almost never get the sizing right, so I got these at Sports Academy.  That’ll be my first place to look.  

Edited by Defender

I'm a big fan of Columbias. I'm in a pair as I type this. They are similar to the Newton Ridge models and can be found new on E bay for less than $100 . I've learned to save the money and just buy new more often vs buying a pair of high end every couple years. $200 plus makes me feel obligated to keep them until they are wore slap out. And if you have the extra to throw around thats great but I'm cheap as hell0 lol.

Posted (edited)

I just hike, like I do most everything else, in my Red Wing Pecos pull ons. I never really understood the purpose of hiking boots. If a person is used to wearing tennis shoes, or whatever, why not just wear those?

I once saw two gals sitting on a bench at Clingman’s dome, rubbing their blister covered feet, with two brand new pairs of fancy hiking boots sitting beside them. That left an impression on me.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I just hike, like I do most everything else, in my Red Wing Pecos pull ons. I never really understood the purpose of hiking boots. If a person is used to wearing tennis shoes, or whatever, why not just wear those?

I once saw two gals sitting on a bench at Clingman’s dome, rubbing their blister covered feet, with two brand new pairs of fancy hiking boots sitting beside them. That left an impression on me.

When you start hitting roots and rocks on trails it makes a difference. Walking of running on asphalt or concrete, I'm definitely using my running shoes. When I say hiking I'm talking about places you need hand holds. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Low tennis shoes dont support your ankle, if you are actually doing some real hiking you want boots high enough to support and protect your ankle while walking up and down steep, rocky trails. I'd hate to twist my ankle and have to walk several miles (or farther) back to the car.

You also want to wear the boots around your house a few times to break them in.

My every day shoe is a Hi-tec Altitude boot, I wear those hiking also.

• Like 1

I have had really good luck with Merrill boots.  They have pretty good insoles to start with.  Peejman said it true.  Good insoles make all the difference.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

When you start hitting roots and rocks on trails it makes a difference. Walking of running on asphalt or concrete, I'm definitely using my running shoes. When I say hiking I'm talking about places you need hand holds. 

Gotcha! What I see are folks dressed head to toe in REI gear with ski sticks, backpacks, and $500 boots, walking the equivalent of me going to the mailbox.

• Haha 3
Posted (edited)

Over the years I've used Merrells, Vasque and Salomons.  My wife has used Salomons and Oboz.  The Vasque were a little too stiff for me.  My Merrell's feel like hiking boots and have good traction and support.  My Salomons are like wearing tennis shoes.  They are lightweight, great support and awesome traction, even in water.  If you have wide feet their selection is limited.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

Out of the 17 days I spent in the mountains in Wyoming last year, I actually spent the first 9 (before the snow arrived) wearing Altama Aqua Assault sneakers. They've got a soft, flexible sole, but a stiff cuff with lots more ankle support than you'd expect. They did spectacularly well in steep, rough rocks & blowdowns. They dry very quickly too. I think I probably covered 60-80 miles in that time, all either up or down through timber & didn't get a single sore or hotspot.

High 80⁰s was a little much for the insulated Lowas!

20231015_115752.jpg

• Admin Team

I've worn two boots the entirety of my adult life - a Timberland classic field boot (which was amazing at the time - but there are a lot better boots today) and Vasque Sundowners.  I've got hundreds upon hundreds of miles on both.  A full leather boot is amazing - but even with modern materials - you still need about 50 miles to break them in.  You don't want to do that on the trail with a backpack on your trip.

I took a look at what our scouts were wearing this weekend - and by far Keen and Merrell are out front.  Likely because of two things - they're good boots and a good value.  They shouldn't need nearly the same break in period.

A couple of notes on boots:

1. Gor-tex is great in wet conditions - but if you're not in those conditions can be quite sweaty - which can lead to blisters.  I'd almost prefer a quick drying boot and wicking socks to Gor-tex in most conditions.

2. Sock matter as much as your boots. There's a reason we suggest our scouts use a liner sock and a thicker wool sock in combination when we go hike 100+ miles.  Find something that works for you.

3. 40+ year old feet aren't the same as 18 year old feet.  If you can feel the arch of your foot flex while you're walking in your new boots - get some inserts that keep that arch still.  You'll be thankful 20 miles down the trail.

I love my Keen Targhee II shoes and boots. I also have a pair of Lowas. Fit is similar to the Keens.

+1 to good socks. Some cushy wool socks improve any shoe/boot. I have several pair of Darn Tough and like them a lot.

I do a lot of backpacking, and years ago I gave up on boots and went to Trail Runner sneakers. Unless you are wearing the jungle boots that come up to your calf, you are only fooling yourself that you are getting ankle support from a pair of boots. Try putting them on and see if you can bend your ankle out, simulating a rolling. I bet you can roll it.

Anyway, a good pair of trail runners are lightweight and super comfortable. I use Altra Lone Peaks. Pick up last year's version for probably $100 or so. DO NOT get the water proof versions. The regular ones have little holes around the base, and your foot will squish all the water out in no time. I will completely submerge into a creek, and I'm 100% dry in 30 minutes.

The Altra shoes have a wide toe box, so your toes are not all squished up, and that really helps with comfort and blister prevention. Why do all shoes come to a point at the toe? Your feet don't look like that. These are way more natural. They do have a hint of looking like clown shoes, but the comfort of them is worth it.

The one thing about the Altras that takes a bit to get used to is they have what is known as Zero Drop. Where most shoes have an elevated heel, the Altras are flat from heel to toe. 

The other brand that is gaining popularity is Topo Athletic. They have that same wide toe box. I'll probably get a pair of theose my next go around.