Washing Machine Repair Help

Guest db99wj

Ok, like I mentioned in my AR thread, I am at home this week, yep took the rest of the year off, doing honey do's, baby sitting 3 out of 4 kids, and doing long over due repairs, leaky faucets etc, I am working on the leaking Kenmore washing machine. I have narrowed it down to the drain pump, which by itself is a $30-$40 part. it is leaking and rusty where the shaft goes into the part, down at the bottom center of the pic.

00071201.jpg

Not sure if that is the actual correct part for my Kenmore, but it is close, I will have to get more detailed later if this is the problem.

It appears to be a major PIA to change out and I am guessing I would need to call someone to do it. Is this an easyi repair? How much does a repair call cost? Would it be better off to buy a new one for $375, which I have priced. This machine is old as I said, the agitator seemes to be stripped somewhat as well, it doesn't agitate very well and slips.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Honestly If the Washer is old you would prob be better off buying a new 1. Washer Repairs get pricey & once they get torn apart they never seem to be 100% again.

Guest pjblurton

If it were old and had other issues I would probably bite the bullet and buy a new one. You will probably spend half that much money once you buy the part and pay someone to put it on and still have to deal with a slipping agitator...:screwy:

agreed, if the machine is old, and you are already having other problems - replace it.

I'm looking for a new Washer/Dryer set as well. Both machines still work, just not that well. My W/D combo is around 8 yrs old and I've replace 2 parts in each so far and I'm just not willing to replace more part in them.

The dryer is newer, it still has the new design of today.

The washer has the "wood grain" surround and I'm not sure how old it is. It was old and used when I bought it 4-5 years ago.

Glad I already "paid" for that AR!!!!

Guest abailey362

avg service call will be at least 75-100 for just the trip charge, then whatever parts and labor they charge. i will also vote for a new one. i'd hook you up...but it wouldn;t be as easy to get to you as the camcorder.

avg service call will be at least 75-100 for just the trip charge, then whatever parts and labor they charge. i will also vote for a new one. i'd hook you up...but it wouldn;t be as easy to get to you as the camcorder.

Thanks, I know you would too, but this is more of a local purchase!! I guess I could Call my bro again, see if he could strap a washer on his Harley!!

Oh, that camcorder is great! Does more than I know how to do, but does great! Thanks again.

Edited by db99wj
Guest db99wj
Don't buy Bosch. We bought their front load washer/dryer and dishwasher. They are the first and the last Bosch's I will ever buy.

The spark plug peoples????

I have heard a lot of bad press lately related to those front load washers, with mildew and mold.

Guest canynracer

Head to Whitten road...they have the sears "repair/Parts" place...they sell the floor models...you could get a bad ass one for cheap because it is scratched on the side...

Guest db99wj

We are going to go, calling right now as I type, to a place called Hamilton Maytag which has new stuff and new stuff that are scratch and dent. THe wife wants a warranty, I like the craiglist idea, but I just live here and donate my time, money and services. Finsished the call, they appear to be closed today. Might try Sears scratch and dent, getting ready to go to Lowes, got to buy a new front door, the old one broke, I took it apart and found out why, it is a 1955 model wrought iron security door, hard to find parts for the lock, door knob mechanism, it is all one unit, nearly impossible to find parts or a replacement. I hate the door anyway. The lock/door knob mechanism is made by American, went to two wrought iron security door companies and they laughed at my attempt to find parts, basically find an old locksmith that keeps everything and hope that I get lucky!

Guest db99wj
Head to Whitten road...they have the sears "repair/Parts" place...they sell the floor models...you could get a bad ass one for cheap because it is scratched on the side...

I was typing my previous thread when you were typing yours cayn. I forgot about that place, I will go by there!

We have a Bosh and it runs like a tank.

Ours runs like a tank and stinks like a tank. Google "Bosch Smells". Our dishwasher stinks like rotten egg a couple days after every use. Our Washing machine gets moldy after it has set without use because it wont drain completely. Google has that one too.

Edited by TerryW
Guest sermon8r
The dryer is newer, it still has the new design of today.

The washer has the "wood grain" surround and I'm not sure how old it is. It was old and used when I bought it 4-5 years ago.

Glad I already "paid" for that AR!!!!

break in the AR on the old one:D

Ours runs like a tank and stinks like a tank. Google "Bosch Smells". Our dishwasher stinks like rotten egg a couple days after every use. Our Washing machine gets moldy after it has set without use because it wont drain completely. Google has that one too.

I'll check into that, maybe we run ours so much it does not have time to stink. lol

Thanks

Guest db99wj

Sort of, I got a new one. Checked around for scratch and dents, couldn't find anything, evidently, washers are fast to move at the scratch and dent places. Ended up with a Kenmore 600 series, 3.5 cu. whatever. Repair was going to be close to $100 for them to come out, 40-50 for the part (what they would charge) and then the labor..I was guessing around $250 for a repair on a 10-15 year old machine....Nope.

Thanks for the help everyone.