New equipment

This is from a post to a thread on m4carbine.net regarding gear set ups.

1. Title your post 'Range load out', 'Contractor load out', 'LE load out', 'Military combat load out', '3-gun match load out', 'Home defense load out' etc, or whatever best describes how the gear is used. - Military combat load out.

2. List the items in the photos - PIG PC with molle cummerbund, TT mav, 2x TT triple mag shingle, TT MBITR pouch, TT medic pouch, TT magna mag double pistol mag pouch, Mystery Cinch, and the Mystery Ranch 3-day assault BVS.

3. Include a brief description of why you made the equipment choices you did and any other info you'd like to include. - I have an upcoming OEF deployment. I am in the Reserve now but was formerly in the RA as an 11B so I have an idea about what I will need. I generally use my drill pay for shooting and gun money but I knew we would be wearing MC for this deployment so I spent some on equipment instead. I have always purchased and been happy with TT gear so that is where I decided to stay except for the PC. While I do realize that I may not be able to wear the PIG, I am not in a conventional unit and will be deployed in a small team so I may be able to get by on that one. I do not have plates as they have not been issued yet. If the plates aren't stand alone I guess I will be using the issued PC.

I decided to run as light as possible on my PC and chest rig as I will be in and out of vehicles and doing lots of KLEs. I may also end up in the turret as a gunner and would like to have as little hindrance as possible up there. I do have the assault pack for more ammo and water. I have a water bladder pouch that can be attached if I think it is necessary but I plan on taking my bag when out on foot. I also have a safariland holster for my M9. I went with a MAV to carry my equipment instead directly on the PC because I did not want to go with three dbl shingles and the way that the cummerbund is released I thought I would end up having to remove mags to take it off. As it is this isn't a perfect donning and doffing method either since I route the straps through the retaining elastic. I am able to do it solo. We will also be issued strap cutters hopefully I don't have someone cutting this thing off of me. I tried the X-Harness and it didn't sit correctly with the PC straps. I think this will still have room for improvement once I start wearing it daily but right now it appears to be complete. The Mystery Cinch does not hang loose when I am wearing the equipment. Only the Mag pouches are full as I still have everything else in my UCP kit.

pc1yl.jpg

pc2v.jpg

pc3n.jpg

pc4s.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

That is... a lot of stuff. Hope it helps keep you safe (or, if this was a post from someone else you have just copied here, that it keeps that person safe).

This is from a post to a thread on m4carbine.net regarding gear set ups.

Persoanlly I would have ditched the Rhodesian and hang everything directly on the carrier They tend to get hung up on all kinds of stuff. I have used them and I can't tell you how many times I was stopped by a door knob. Not sure if that is a blow out kit but I consider that just as important as ammo. At a bare minumum keep a turniquet or two, some bandages, ace wraps, feminine pads and some tampons. Water is also something else you need on your carrier. The pistol mags are probably a bit high as well. I woudl put a couple more pouches on there for other items like a cell phone, note pad and maybe a place for quick access to some high energy candy or something like that.

Always assume you are going to have to fight without your goody bag. Everything to fight to the bag needs to be on your person. You are probably not going to be fighting with the pack, it will be used as take along storage or at least that was what mine was used for. In the bag I carried 15-20 AR magazines, additional water, snacks, more blow out kit items and extra batteris. If you are serious I would also put your blood type and allergies on the kit as well.

Make sure the belly strap for the bag doesn't ride on your hips. It can be very, very tiring for your hips if they have to fight the belly strap.

Looks like a good setup. TT makes some of the best stuff out there. I have TT mag pouches. I used malice clips to put everything together. There is no way they are coming off in the middle of a fight. If you are going to buy your own plates avoid the ceramics. The ceramics aren't that much lighter than steel and they are a lot thicker. Most steel plates are around 1/4" thick while most ceramics are 3/4"-1". The additional 2" can make getting into and out of vehicles a lot harder. Another thing with ceramics is they are fragile. At the end of the day if you take your gear off and toss it on the ground your could easily fracture them and there is no way of knowing without exrays.

Just my thoughts

Dolomite

Personally I would have ditched the Rhodesian and hang everything directly on the carrier They tend to get hung up on all kinds of stuff. I have used them and I can't tell you how many times I was stopped by a door knob. I am thinking of ways I can attach straight to the PC. It sits tight right now but I know what you are saying regarding it getting caught. Not sure if that is a blow out kit but I consider that just as important as ammo. At a bare minimum keep a tourniquet or two, some bandages, ace wraps, feminine pads and some tampons. I don't really call my first aid kit a blow out kit but yes that is exactly what it is and I have two tourniquets plus everything else I will need to help myself. We have an aid bag for helping others. I have been trained to use it also. Water is also something else you need on your carrier. Again I have a bladder carrier I just don't have it on. The pistol mags are probably a bit high as well. We will just have to disagree there. I would put a couple more pouches on there for other items like a cell phone, note pad and maybe a place for quick access to some high energy candy or something like that. The MAV has a Velcro pocket for small admin items. I wont have a cell phone but I have an admin pouch and have been going back and forth about adding it. If I pick up two or three of the BFG 10 speed elastic mag pouches I will definitely be putting the admin pouch on.

Always assume you are going to have to fight without your goody bag. Everything to fight to the bag needs to be on your person. You are probably not going to be fighting with the pack, it will be used as take along storage or at least that was what mine was used for. Storage is what it will be. I will be in or very near to my vehicle at almost all times. If that reality changes I will of course change with it as METT-TC requires. If I get out of my vehicle I will either take what I need on my person or put it in the bag and take it with me. I am not going to be deploying in a combat role. Don't think that I misunderstand the battle space with that statement either. I realize that it is not only combat troops seeing fighting. As I stated I was an active duty infantryman and I have been all over Iraq doing what needed to be done. My present job will be to influence the attitudes and behaviors of the local populace by helping them not fighting them. In the bag I carried 15-20 AR magazines, additional water, snacks, more blow out kit items and extra batteries. This is what I said would be in the bag and again this is not my first time going outside the wire. If you are serious I would also put your blood type and allergies on the kit as well. I do not need my Blood type written onto my equipment. I know no medic that will be giving me blood in the field and the aid station will be typing me or reading my dog tags regardless of what I have penciled onto my boots, etc. Not to mention that if I am that far gone it would be cut off of me by then to begin with.

Make sure the belly strap for the bag doesn't ride on your hips. It can be very, very tiring for your hips if they have to fight the belly strap. I have plenty of experience carrying a ruck.

Looks like a good setup. TT makes some of the best stuff out there. I have TT mag pouches. I used malice clips to put everything together. There is no way they are coming off in the middle of a fight. If you are going to buy your own plates avoid the ceramics. The ceramics aren't that much lighter than steel and they are a lot thicker. Most steel plates are around 1/4" thick while most ceramics are 3/4"-1". The additional 2" can make getting into and out of vehicles a lot harder. Another thing with ceramics is they are fragile. At the end of the day if you take your gear off and toss it on the ground your could easily fracture them and there is no way of knowing without x-rays. I am not buying my own plates at this time. I have worn them before and am familiar with the dimensions.

Just my thoughts

Dolomite

Reading my replies I seem a little rude or harsh but I am just responding to your suggestions with my own viewpoint on the matter. I do think you are right about finding a way to mount my items straight to the carrier.

Might want to reconsider the thought that you won't have a local cell phone, almost every person I had interaction with over there had cell phones. We used them a lot to contact locals or each other. We never used the local cell phones to call the US unless we were in a pinch and had to make a call right then and right there.

We also used them to call each other like people do here. Coordinate lunches, dinners or watching a movie together. In all of the places I went in Afghanistan I had a better signal than I do right here at my house. I would rarely have less than 3 out of 4 bars over there. Their cell phones are really basic and don't do much more than make a call. One odd thing about their cell phones over there is most had an LED light to help see at night. Never seen that here. They cost about $50 and another $10 or so for the SIM. After that you had to buy minutes and I don't know how much the minutes were because the company supplies the minutes.

Are you going over in a military capacity or contractor?

Does the carrier have armor in it? If not US Palm has some reasonable soft armor. I had PACA custom make my kit for me. It was a one off vest made to my specs based on several trips. It is the lightest 3A soft armor money could buy at the time. Then throw plates over top and all was good.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I will be going as a service member.

If I have a cell phone it will most likely be to contact locals not to call other Americans. That is what the MBITR is for but who knows you may be more right on that than I know. I am under the impression my team will have a satellite phone.

As to soft armor. I can purchase some to put in the carrier along with plates but if the issue plates are stand alone level IV then why spend the 250+?

Edited by Daniel
MBITR's are great unless it's cloudy, or you have any kind of overhead cover. Then they are just an expensive paperweight.

I used cell phones extensively during my last deployment. I would be surprised if you don't as well.

+1

Those cheap Afghan cell phones worked better and more reliably than some of our state of the art stuff. I can guarantee you aren't going to use the MBITR to "chat" like you would use a cell phone for. Most of those who are on the MBITR channels don't want a lot of excess chatter or non mission talk.

We also had motorollas that we used like squad radios. Basically we used cells phones to call and talk about and too everybody about everything including non mission stuff. We used the motorollas to talk about mission related stuff amongst our small group and a few other elements. We used the MBITR exclusively for contacting other elements about mission related stuff. Believe it or not but within the same FOB not every group is on the same freq and that is what the MBITR was used for, contating other elements because their motorollas would work with ours and we generally didn't have their cell phone numbers.

For every minute I spent on an MBITR I spent at last an hour on our cell phone phones. Then there is the pesky problem of the MBITR loosing its fill or the comms guy not having the right fill making the MBITR useless.

Redundant comms are mandatory. We had one group that lost all comms except the cell phone. One guy called back to the states, they in turned called back to HQ in Afghanistan and they coordinated what needed to be done.

Dolomite

Yes I recognize the need for a PACE plan. Three man team and all MTOE is allowing to this point for intra team radio is the MBITR. I will ask around. We have contact with the unit we are replacing on SIPR.

This isn't to say we don't have ASIP + two other radios that I haven't even been to classes on yet and then finally the PDS-L.

Edited by Daniel
My brother is in Iraq right now and said cell phones are so common that they list them on the call sign sheet right next to the radio call signs.

Iraq has had cell phones and it is also much more developed than Afghanistan.

I know I keep popping in but if there is anything I can help you with let me know. It has been a couple of years since I was over there but I would be glad to help you in any way I can.

Dolomite

I posted it in hopes of people giving me further ideas and competing theories.