Active Tennessee Handgun Permits

Guest Legally Armed

Guest Legally Armed

Some people have sent e-mail & phone calls with questions about the statistical report on the handgun permits. 95% of the work is completed, but some counties are not finished. This is a difficult project that takes a lot of time. As soon as the project is completed, you will be advised. In the meantime, here is the number of active handgun permits in Tennessee as of December 31, 2008...218,000.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

I paid the fees and got printed about 3 weeks ago,I wonder if mine was counted in that 218,000 or maybe I'll be 218,001.What ever,I just would really like to get it in the mail.

I packed for 10 years with no trouble now, I dont because Im afraid I'll get caught and wont get the permit.

Some people have sent e-mail & phone calls with questions about the statistical report on the handgun permits. 95% of the work is completed, but some counties are not finished. This is a difficult project that takes a lot of time. As soon as the project is completed, you will be advised. In the meantime, here is the number of active handgun permits in Tennessee as of December 31, 2008...218,000.

I'm surprised there are that few, since TNDOS site says:

"Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 339,000 handgun carry permits."

Well over 100,000 were not renewed?

- OS

"Since October 1996, the Department of Safety has issued more than 339,000 handgun carry permits."

- OS

Quite possible - people move, people die, etc.

Guest abailey362

i wonder if there is a way to get stats of people who transferred a tn permit to a state that treats a tn permit holder as a renewal instead of a new applicant. that way we could see how many expired

- OS

Quite possible - people move, people die, etc.

More than one-third? I really find that hard to believe.

- OS

I also wonder how many people that have their HCP actually carry. I have several friends with permits and probably less than half carry. So if you have 339,000 with their HCP maybe a lot of them are unarmed.

I have a friend who due to cranial rectal inversion neglected to renew about a year ago. Hasn't gone back thru the full process yet.

That probably explains a lot of the 100,000, just neglected to renew.:tinfoil:

Edited by bvarnell
spelling
Guest Legally Armed

D.O.S. means they have issued that many handgun permits since 1996. This does not mean there are that many active handgun permits.

D.O.S. means they have issued that many handgun permits since 1996. This does not mean there are that many active handgun permits.

I understand.

Just still seems to me that given the initial hassle of all the hoops and expense of getting a permit, 1 out 3 wouldn't renew it or have moved out of state.

I have no statistical basis for the view, I admit. Of course, don't know anything about how you got your stats either?

- OS

Guest Legally Armed

I understand what you are saying. I have had problems with their numbers for 10 years. I have been getting raw data from them for the last 5 years and taking what I need out of the raw data. This allows me to be more familiar with the actual numbers rather than when they just say how many permits have been issued. However, this is a very time consuming method but, the data is correct and I can stand by my research.

Some of the areas that could cause an active permit to become a non-active permit are: applicant was found not eligible after the handgun permit was issued [based on FBI or other law enforcement criminal investigation after permit issued], permit holder did not renew permit, permit holder died, permit holder now a felon, permit holder did not return to have fingerprints re-done and permit rescinded, permit holder had domestic violence problem, permit holder found out to have lied on application, not honorable discharge, mental problems before or after permit issued, moved out of state, Sheriff does not want permit holder renewed, permit holder did not respond to questions after permit issued and it was rescinded, and there are other resons like receiving Social Security Disability payments, and some I can't even figure out what they mean!

It is important to keep an eye on these stats. The reason for this is that when politicians, or any anti-gun group want to throw stones at this law, they can say what they want but, the historical data shows that this law works, and is a benefit to the citizens of Tennessee. It also shows that individuals who receive a handgun permit do not become a threat to society. The vast majority remain law abiding citizens. Since 1994, the steets have not run red with the blood of the innocent as opponents of this law said they would. This is a credit to the majority of handgun permit holders and to the elected officials who proposed this law and those who endorsed it. Especially to Harold Stockburger wherever he is.