Reloading- Here I go...

Don't shoot those!!! The bullets are in backwards man!!!

They look good. Got tired of waiting on me eh? Don't blame you. I am hunting again this weekend then probably done. If those shoot good groups you probably need no further assistance but the offer still stands if you just want to come roll up some the following weekend.

I got to practice my skills putting a lower together this morning as I waited for the cable guy. UPS showed up with my LPK so I have a completed lower (the 4th I have done) waiting around for the upper to get made some year up in Colona.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't shoot those!!! The bullets are in backwards man!!!

They look good. Got tired of waiting on me eh? Don't blame you. I am hunting again this weekend then probably done. If those shoot good groups you probably need no further assistance but the offer still stands if you just want to come roll up some the following weekend.

I got to practice my skills putting a lower together this morning as I waited for the cable guy. UPS showed up with my LPK so I have a completed lower (the 4th I have done) waiting around for the upper to get made some year up in Colona.

I would still like to come by and check out your operation, once the garage is cleaned out. ;) I think I have a solid footing for reloading, but I realize there is a ton more to learn. I had the chance to buy some decent priced ammo the other day, but I held back. My thought was I can make a better bullet for cheaper in my own basement; why should I pay the higher cost? After I walked out I had a little laugh over my thinking. One of the guys from The Reloaders Bench once said, "soon you will only shoot reloaded ammo". I think he may be on to something.

Range report to follow as soon as I get back into town next week. Today and tomorrow are my "weekend" and I'm out of town until next TUE. :D

After locating a few primers, I finally had had all the components to start reloading 40S&W. It took me about an hour to get everything setup. After tinkering with the powder charge I was all set. I reloaded my first ten rounds tonight.

40SWReloading002.jpg

40SWReloading001.jpg

I think I have located a set of dies for .40 myself. Just need those small rifle primers. Just about set up to go. Can't wait to join the reloaders club(is there such a thing?)

I think I have located a set of dies for .40 myself. Just need those small rifle primers. Just about set up to go. Can't wait to join the reloaders club(is there such a thing?)

I wouldn't say there is a club, but there is definately the satisfaction of saving money when your friends are purchasing ammo at retail prices. :tough:

I got a chance to shoot my new reloads today at the Gallatin Gun Club. I put together three different loads since the powder charge ranges listed in my books were very wide. I loaded ten rounds of 6.5gr, 7.0gr, and 7.8gr of AA#5. I used 165grain FMJ bullets. Each were shot at 25yds from a prone supported position. The targets were 10" "Shoot N-C".

The first shots with the 6.5gr load were low and spread out.

40SWReloading001-2.jpg

The second shots with the 7.0gr load were pretty good. This grouping was much more acceptible.

40SWReloading002-1.jpg

The third shots with 7.8gr load were ugly. I saw a lot of dirt flying. I'm guessing that load was way too hot.

40SWReloading003.jpg

All spent cases were in good condition. No obvious signs of over-pressure or deformation. I think I will load a second batch with a 7.0gr charge and see if I can duplicate the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I loaded some new test rounds. These are .40S&W 180gr FMJ bullets. Upon comparing the powder charge recommendations from the Speer and Hornady manuals, I went with 3 test charges: 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 grains.

I'm hoping the weather is good this weekend to test these rounds.

40SandW180grTestRounds001.jpg

40SandW180grTestRounds002.jpg

Guest Mugster

Yeah, I wind up firing handgun alot prone too because there's no bench or they won't let you fire on the rifle range. You might try supine, which is on your back with your handgun held strong hand resting on the outside of your strong side knee. Once you get used to it, its probably just as good as prone and some guys like it better. I've heard it called recumbent as well.

It always tickles me when somebody asks about accuracy of some handgun round and somebody else responds, and neither one has ever shot a group.

It always tickles me when somebody asks about accuracy of some handgun round and somebody else responds, and neither one has ever shot a group.

I am amazed at what a difference of 0.5grains will do to a bullets.

Personally, I don't like shooting from the bench. I prefer the prone. Maybe its my past military training, but I find it more stable and simply easier.

What is with all this d&mn rain?!?!?!? I would like to shoot this weekend.

Guest Mugster
I am amazed at what a difference of 0.5grains will do to a bullets.

Personally, I don't like shooting from the bench. I prefer the prone. Maybe its my past military training, but I find it more stable and simply easier.

What is with all this d&mn rain?!?!?!? I would like to shoot this weekend.

Wait till you get to 40, you'll appreciate a good bench with a comfortable chair :)

I don't load .40 at all, but looking over accurate's data, methinks #7 (or something about that speed) might be your poison even in a short 4" barrel.

You can get accurate's full data in pdf files by caliber by going here. And I think you are smart cross referencing powder charges too. I always do that with a new load.

Standard

or rifle & shotgun:

Rifle

Shotgun

Wait till you get to 40, you'll appreciate a good bench with a comfortable chair :cheers:

I don't load .40 at all, but looking over accurate's data, methinks #7 (or something about that speed) might be your poison even in a short 4" barrel.

You can get accurate's full data in pdf files by caliber by going here. And I think you are smart cross referencing powder charges too. I always do that with a new load.

Standard

or rifle & shotgun:

Rifle

Shotgun

I am using AA#5 for my .40 loads. I downloaded that same table from Accurate and printed it out. Thats very handy to compare to my other reloading manuals.

I am hoping to get out and test my first batch of 180gr .40 rounds tomorrow. The weather has been aweful lately. As for bench shooting and the comfy chair, nah. :cop: I have no problem lying down on my mat and shooting from the prone. I actually prefer it. At my range, people tend to fill up the benches quickly, while there is plenty of real estate to unroll my mat.

So, do you even want to bother coming up now. Turkey season is pretty much over for me unless I get an invite to the west the last weekend. I'll hang around here next weekend being it's Mother's day.

You look like you know exactly what you need to do so I don't know if you need any further advise from me. Maybe someone who has years of experience with double digits for something that comes up but you look fine.

I'm still up for it now that I'm not running around every weekend and the garage is moderately cleaned up. Got to re-straighten again after the major clean. I don't know what goes in there and messes it up so fast! It sure can't be me.

Oh yeah, I have kids and a wife....that's got to be it.:cheers:

:cheers: What are you saying?!?!?

I'm doing and taking the advice YOU originally gave me. Anyway, I would still like to knock around some ideas just to make sure my thinking isn't too crazy. I basically load 2 different rounds, each with their own simple load. I'm not one for experimenting. Once I find something that works I stick with it. This happens to be my first weekend home in a long time. What do you think about sometime this week, in the evening?

That could happen! If it keeps raining the way it's been we won't have any baseball games. Let me get Monday out of the way and find out what this week's schedule is. My secretary is sacked out right now and can't give me the information I need!

I made a trip to the range even though the weather was less than ideal. It was 60 degrees and light rain. Not very good weather for shooting, but I saw atleast 15+ large turkeys out and about and they seemed to like it. Rightwinger- you would have been going crazy. :D

Today, I was testing my loads for 180grain bullets. I used 6.0gr, 6.5gr, and 7.0gr. I used AA#5 powder. All rounds were shot from a prone supported position. The 8" targets were placed at 25yards. These rounds were shot out of a Sig 229 with a 3.8" barrel. All rounds were much more predictable than my 165grain bullets. These rounds were not effected as much with a change in powder charge.

I had some trouble today, possibly the weather, with sighting in the targets. At 25yds, an 8" target is basically totally covered with my sights. In any event, I was pleasantly surprised with all the loads. Each load was consistant and grouped relatively well, even with my target being obscured. Future tests will be done with a larger target

180gr40SandWTesting002.jpg

Disregard the zero target on the upper right. I was sighting in my SBR again due to my Aimpoint mount coming loose.

• 2 months later...

I am getting closer to completing my next build project. I have put together my new AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. All I have left is to find a scope.

In the mean time, I have started loading my Grendel rounds. Tonight I got the final reloading parts for my Dillon 550B. It took a little time to set everything up and to fine tune my powder charge. Built from Alexander Arms brass, 28.5 grains of Hodgdon BL-C(2) powder, CCI #450 primers, and Berger 130gr VLDs. Put it all together and I had some mean looking rounds.

GrendelLoads001.jpg

I threw in a 55gr .223 round for comparison.

GrendelLoads003.jpg

GrendelLoads009.jpg

Guest tnvolfan

I am about to start reloading myself. I am very fortunate though, I have a good friend in my Sunday school class who has been reloading for about 15 years, and he is letting me use all of his equipment. I wanted to make sure that this is something I really wanted to do before I invested the $$$$ into it, and he has been very supportive and also instructional. I can't imagine doing this without an advisor -- fortunately, the Internet forums have an abundance of help, as well as the "No BS" guarantee that belongs to the Dillon folks. I was curious about your bench -- how much did that cost you? I saw something very, very similar at Sam's Club for $103 and I believe this would meet my reloading setup needs. Yours is absolutely perfect, and you're right to have a "dedicated area."

Anyway, I wish you all the best. So far, reloading has been a lot of fun, and hopefully, it will save some serious money in the near future (IF,IF,IF I can find all the reloading components I need!):rofl:

I am about to start reloading myself. I am very fortunate though, I have a good friend in my Sunday school class who has been reloading for about 15 years, and he is letting me use all of his equipment. I wanted to make sure that this is something I really wanted to do before I invested the $$$$ into it, and he has been very supportive and also instructional. I can't imagine doing this without an advisor -- fortunately, the Internet forums have an abundance of help, as well as the "No BS" guarantee that belongs to the Dillon folks. I was curious about your bench -- how much did that cost you? I saw something very, very similar at Sam's Club for $103 and I believe this would meet my reloading setup needs. Yours is absolutely perfect, and you're right to have a "dedicated area."

Anyway, I wish you all the best. So far, reloading has been a lot of fun, and hopefully, it will save some serious money in the near future (IF,IF,IF I can find all the reloading components I need!);)

tnvolfan- It does cost a small fortune to start, depending on press you buy. This will all depend on whether you want to load 50 rounds an hour or 300. I started with a single stage press and it was too slow for me. I was fortunate enough to come into enough money to buy a Dillon press. I have never looked back. Reloading components are slowly becoming more readily available. The Reloaders Bench in Mount Juliet was well stocked yesterday when I was there.

My bench was built off these plans (DIY Ammunition Reloading Bench) and modified to my liking. I spent roughly $30-40 in wood. You can use any bench, as long as its solid.