Dented brass

I've got this .223 Saiga that I was tinking about reloading for one day. The brass comes out dented. It's not a soft dent like someone stepped on it, it's like they were jabbed with a flat blade screwdriver. Would they be safe to reolaod?

brass005.jpg

It looks worse in person

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is dented in I would not reload it because it could change the pressure with less volume inside the case. If it just flattened the side then it should be ok.

That little dent should flatten out for the most part when you full length resize. AR's ding the hell out of cases too due to the brass deflector. Full length resize and you should be fine.

Wouldn't worry about it. I have shot many, many cases that were dented. Some were dented by previous ejections and in my early days I have dented some by using too much case lube. As soon as you shoot it, it will remove that dent and if fired in the same gun it will make a new one. The only thing I would be concerned about is if there were a sharp edge on your gun, I am not familiar with Saigas ejection ports, that was not just denting but actually cutting or creasing a spot on the case. That would weaken the case at that spot and I would not reload and shoot that case again but I would also be finding out what part of the gun was that sharp and be fixing it....one way or another as I reload all my ammo. A cut or sharp crease could rupture under pressure and damage you or the gun...or both.

Guest Astra900

You need to ID the offensive part and see if it can be smoothed out. I had to do a little Dremel work on my RomakIII action cover to make it quit denting cases. Look for gold spots:up:

AR's ding the hell out of cases too due to the brass deflector. Full length resize and you should be fine.

That's strange. My Bushmaster drops a perfect case every time.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

It's hitting the ejection port. Some people use a bit of automotive window seal/weatherstripping to prevent this. Apparently it works well:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=26026&st=0&p=231125entry231125

Also, take a good look at the primer pocket on that brass. The bolt face has a small ring toward the center that's proud of the rest of the face. It will sometimes do a number on the brass.

You need to ID the offensive part and see if it can be smoothed out. I had to do a little Dremel work on my RomakIII action cover to make it quit denting cases. Look for gold spots:up:

That's strange. My Bushmaster drops a perfect case every time.

Thats strange that your AR doesnt ding your brass.

Every AR i've ever shot leaves this little ding upon hitting the ejecting port.

Guest Astra900

It obviously hits the deflector because I got a nice patch of gold on it that won't wipe off:p

There really is no dents though. Could it be because I load so light? I shoot handloads exclusively. A 50g soft point over AA 2520. I worked up a load that was accurate but only JUST cycled the action. After I found that powder charge, I went up .5g just for the sake of variances. Maybe they aren't ejecting with enough force to really dent them???? I know that if you do not move the rifle on the bench, you can set a 5 gallon bucket about 12 inches to your right and a hair to your rear and catch 99% of the empties.

It obviously hits the deflector because I got a nice patch of gold on it that won't wipe off:p

There really is no dents though. Could it be because I load so light? I shoot handloads exclusively. A 50g soft point over AA 2520. I worked up a load that was accurate but only JUST cycled the action. After I found that powder charge, I went up .5g just for the sake of variances. Maybe they aren't ejecting with enough force to really dent them???? I know that if you do not move the rifle on the bench, you can set a 5 gallon bucket about 12 inches to your right and a hair to your rear and catch 99% of the empties.

I shoot handloads exclusively as well however i'm firing pretty hot loads. Even store bought 55 gr Remington would ding.

The light charge could have something to do with it. The speed that the bolt cycles combined with the 'toss' of the extractor may factor in. My brass usually hurls several feet in front of me and to the right.

I have that irritating brass swipe too! :-p

Guest 70below
I shoot handloads exclusively as well however i'm firing pretty hot loads. Even store bought 55 gr Remington would ding.

The light charge could have something to do with it. The speed that the bolt cycles combined with the 'toss' of the extractor may factor in. My brass usually hurls several feet in front of me and to the right.

I have that irritating brass swipe too! :-p

I took a square of black electrical tape and placed it over the brass deflector on my AR and it protects the finish on the deflector, slightly softens the blow to the brass, and blends in almost perfectly on my AR....I have to really look to see it. When it starts to get beat up, I just replace the piece of tape.