Anyone have experience w/Remington 700SPS Tactical?

Fadex

I'm considering a Remington 700SPS Tactical in .308 for my next purchase.

Has anyone here had experience with this rifle?

I'm mainly going to use it for target shooting and maybe hunting occasionally. From what I have read it is capable of sub 1" groups at 100 yards. Anyone know what to expect at 300+? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

A friend of mine had one for his work gun, built for him. His wife bought him a Savage for a Christmas present. After several months he took them both to the range. The Savage was more accurate out of the box than his precision prepared work gun.

From his testimonial I've only bought Savage bolt guns.

Guest coldblackwind

I've got one, but haven't had much time to shoot it. Find me a 300 yard range in the murfreesboro area though, and i'll let you shoot it, and you can see what it does (especially since i'd like to try it, I haven't been able to shoot it past maybe 75 yards).

I have one. Excellent gun. Shoots far better than anyone who has shot it.

Gunsmiths here bugged me for a while to let them tear it down and "fix it" since they thought they didn't come from the factory with the bolts faced off like they should be and the barrels were supposedly in absolute need of re-truing. They took it down and found that it was 100% as it should be, apologized, screwed it back together and away I went.

Guest 70below

I put my hands on one back a few months ago when Bud's had 'em for $540, I kicked myself for not getting one up until I picked up my Savage 112. I love the Hogue Overmold's that come on the SPS tactical though. Hopefully I can add one of those to my Savage wish list. My next goal is to talk one of my buddies into getting the SPS Tactical so I can shoot it :D

I've got one, but haven't had much time to shoot it. Find me a 300 yard range in the murfreesboro area though, and i'll let you shoot it, and you can see what it does (especially since i'd like to try it, I haven't been able to shoot it past maybe 75 yards).

Is that offer good to anyone? Because I might be able to make it happen.

Wish I could find one in Rutherford County myself. I have to take it to Celina to find enough room to shoot 300 yards.

I have always wanted a AT&T rifle (reach out and touch someone) :D. I think I may make this my next purchase. All it will need is a good scope and bipod.

Guest coldblackwind

Hey, like I said, longest range I have easy access to is viola, and thats only 100 yards. Find me a longer range reasonably close and i'll let you shoot it, why not. Where is that range superman? I know of viola, and the gunsmith (terry walden I believe?). Viola is 100 yards (they just added one, may be 150, or 200, so correct me if i'm wrong) and the other i've never been to, but I was under the impression it wasn't very long.

Terry Walden's place is the one I'm talking about, I'm pretty sure it's 300 yards. There is one more in Manchester, I've never been to it, it's out on Cat Creek road somewhere. It's by appointment only, or something, I don't know much about it. I've been to the one in Viola once, so I don't know much about it either.

I'll stop by Terry's place tomorrow and find out for sure, but I'm thinking it's 300 yards. He's making it wider, but is only going out to 200 yards on the addition.

Guest gcrookston

There is that range down in Manchester, I can't remember which exit (104?). They have an honest 300 yrds, I've been there twice now and look forward to going back... all you can shoot for $5.00

Nice guns. People will give you s%*% about it saying 'tactical' on it.

Hell, i gave myself s*%# for it saying tactical. lol

Yeah...I'm not crazy about it having "Tactical" stamped on it either but I really like the short heavy barrel. Seems like it would be much easier to get through the woods.

Any other recommendations?

I didn’t have the need for a short barrel or tactical so I went with the VLS in .308.

At 300 yards plus the glass you put on it is every bit (if not more) as important as the rifle.

Terry’s place is the only place I’m aware of around the Boro’ that has 300 meters.