Most popular deer caliber?

Guest Mugster
Agreed--Core Lokt is cheaper stuff; I just kept quoting their numbers for apples-to-apples comparisons. A quick search of Remington's ballistics pages reveals very similar numbers with their Premier Accu-Tip loads.

I prefer 168 Ballistic Silvertips in my .30-06. My load is 56 grains of IMR 4350, and velocity is 2800-2850 out of a 24" barrel. My dad's favorite load for his Ruger M77 was 51 grains of IMR 4064 with 150 grain Sierra flat base Spitzers. They averaged 2900 out of the M77's 22" barrel, and he shot several one hole groups with them. Most 150 .30-06 loads average around 2900, but some approach 3000. 2600 sounds like a reduced-recoil type load. I agree with mugster--a 500 fps difference just doesn't sound realistic.

BTW, I wan't knocking the .243--I think it's a fine round and I want one someday. IMO, it's just not the laser beam that many seem to think.

First, I see your point and generally agree.

That seems mighty hot for an 06, but i guess i can buy it....I don't own an 06 and have no plans to get one. The last thing I need is another caliber.

I have 3 tubes in .308. I've got nothing that'll push 2900 in 150 grains. I was running a 130gr in .308 this year for deer, clocked it at 2800 from a 16" and right at 2950 from 22". Some headroom left. Not much though. Knocked that 8 point down I posted that picture of...worked great.

I meant compared to a .30-30 a .243 is a laser and kicks less. You can kick the bullet weight down to what, 45 grains? That's gotta come close to laserfication.

Edited by Mugster
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a .308 is typically about 100-150 fps less than .30-06. .308 is my next rifle, BTW. Gotta have one (sniper wannabe).

.243 compared to .30-30 IS a laser. Highly versatile cartridge, too--55 grain bullets from Winchester (lightest I know of) to 105 grains. With 55s, you get .22-250 ballistics for varmints, and with 100s and 105s, you get a legitimate whitetail thumper, all in one rifle that won't shake your fillings loose.

:tinfoil:

The first rifle that i ever took a white-tail deer with was a Savage .243. I was 12 yrs old at the time. I don't remember which model it was, but it had a synthetic stock with a blued barrel which is a vague description, i know.

It was a fantastic rifle to shoot. The recoil wasn't bad at all thanks to the light bullet and most importantly it was accurate. However, i do remember back then there was this one time i shot a deer with a .243 kinda high in the shoulders and the bullet hit his shoulder and bounced and lodge right underneath his spine.

Again i must say, and i know i might sound like a broken record by now, that a 30-06 is my preferred caliber for hunting deer. It has always worked well enough for me. The caliber has good penetration, all of the deer that i have taken with it the bullet always went completely through, it has knockdown power, i have dropped a few deer in their tracks with the bullet, and with the loads that i use for hunting, remington premier core-lockt ultra 180gr., it is effective enough to take deer without much destruction of edible meat. I love venison :tinfoil:.

I would also like to add that i do not use ballistic tip ammunition for deer. I have tried it before and it just destroys the meat.

Edited by war4peace
Guest Terry J

Most of the time i shoot a 7mm-08 weatherby with 120grn nosler ballistictip with 48.2 grains of IMR4895. I know its a tad hot but thats what my rifle likes to shoot and its the most accurate load I have found. It has never made a disaster of a deer yet. Always a nice hole on one side right to the heart and nothing on the other side. This is in the woods however. If Im out in a field then I use either the 240 or 257 weatherby. Great rifles in my opinion. My buddy uses a 303 british and it does pretty good.