Magazine drops after firing

Guest Fenris

OK, took my PA63 to the range. One of the magazines would drop whenever I fired as long as I had 5 or more rounds in it. When it got down to 4 rounds it would stay in.

I know the simple solution is to get a new magazine, but this one has matching serial numbers to the frame. Is there a fix to this or should I just put the matching magazine away and get a new magazine.

I ask because I bet I could swap it out with the guy I bought it from, but don't know if I should keep the matching number mag.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not an expert but I think I would keep the matching magazine and get another. I dont know if it will help the value, but i think its neat to having matching numbers.

I know nada about that particular gun, but could be mag catch mechanism and not mag.

Maybe full weight of rounds is too much for it with recoil, but holds with less weight as you shoot the first few.

Since you need extra mag anyway, would be best way to check.

- OS

I know nada about that particular gun, but could be mag catch mechanism and not mag.

Maybe full weight of rounds is too much for it with recoil, but holds with less weight as you shoot the first few.

Since you need extra mag anyway, would be best way to check.

- OS

Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post. I do have a spare magazine and that one worked flawlessly. I put 100 rounds through the gun and the only problems I had was with that mag.

Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post. I do have a spare magazine and that one worked flawlessly. I put 100 rounds through the gun and the only problems I had was with that mag.

Oh, then guess it IS the mag.

Should be something you can see, though, if so.

Whatever hole, or groove, or gizmo the mag catch goes in must be bent.

Or maybe could be worn enough to be worn out, but that seems unlikely?

- OS

Guest 300whisper

It will be simple to keep the matching numbers. The number is on the floorplate and you can simply switch the floorplates between mags. It would be a good time to give the mag a good cleaning and see if that will solve the problem. Good luck!

Are you positive it's fully engaging the lock? I'd try stripping the magazine down, taking the slide off and watching what happens from the top as you insert the mag. Does the catch fully engage? is something pushing it back out? has the slot in the side of the magazine become enlarged... Look at those things.

Also, Are you putting 9x19 in it?

Edited by Disney

Well, looking at the magazines side by side, the catch on the magazine on the one that drops is noticeably thinner than the one that works OK. It's not something I can fix.

I've already contacted the FFL I got it from and he's going to swap mags out for me. I already switched the buttplate so the matching serial number is on the one that works. Thanks for that tip.

As an addition, Bill Price is a local FFL who works out of his garage. He's the head of a C & R organization here in Middle TN and he's been nothing but awesome working with me one on one. His transfer fee is higher than most ($50), but he let me test out the pistol in his back yard before I bought it, and has been super nice!

I have a few cards and his contact info if anyone's interested.