Ruger Mini14

Guest mustangdave

I've never shot an AR, but I have 2 mini's. I really enjoy shooting them (though I burn through the mags like I was in an A-Team episode! ;)

Oh yeah, I've not had any feed issues, but I would imagine that depends a lot on the mags.

I would like to add an AR to my collection in order to compare the two, but it's hard moving that much $$$$ past the wife.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

I would like to add an AR to my collection in order to compare the two, but it's hard moving that much $$$$ past the wife.

LMBO...I can relate...that's why mine got the Henry for her birthday...I'm blessed that she likes to shoot to...

I use one at work.. they suck.. but then that is my opinion.. YMMV!

At least one of the northeast counties has just made the switch to Bushies, but the "sucky minis" got bought up by the LEOs really fast...go figure;)

Mini's are great for their intended purpose. Their big weakness to me is not the accuracy but magazines. Ruger 20 round mags go for $45+ each and that is more than I want to put in them, plus most after market mags stink. The gun is reliable, well built and well constructed. The key selling point of the mini is that it is minute-of-man accurate out to 200 yards which is more than most would ever need. I don't hear people dogging AK's for accuracy and they are no better. So it is a utility gun. I am just an accuracy freak and for that I prefer the AR's.

Edited by glockster157
Grammar and spelling
Guest mustangdave

I've heard the "stories" about after market magazines...so I picked up a spare 20 round Ruger mag when I bought the MINI...Ruger is VERY proud of their product...$60 RETAIL...next time I go ONLINE. Anyone have some REAL WORLD experience with after market mags?

I can't dispute with you on the accuracy of the AR's...I just am not fan of the platform. Not saying my mind couldn't be changed either. Affordability was a consideration too...AR's were out of my price range at the time.

I'm on my 2nd Mini-14. Overall I think they are a good little rifle. I know a lot of you rave about the AR15, but my experience with them has been mostly negative. I owned two AR15 clones that jammed constantly no matter how clean they were. Sold them both for more than I paid though, and that's always a plus. :)

As to the Minis, I really like them. I solved many of the problems others have mentioned by putting an aftermarket front sight/muzzle break on mine. I also added a Tapco Fusion Stock and a Holo sight. I love it! It's as accurate as it needs to be, and feeds more reliably than my old ARs.

Regarding aftermarket magazines, I have settled on the USA Mag 30 rd. Polymers. (Ruger factories are just to expensive) I have put a few hundred rounds through them and never had a feed problem. Be careful of the USA metal 30s though. I have had to reshape the feed lips and file on the bodies to get them some of them to feed or lock up.

Have fun with your new Mini-14!

TK47

Guest mustangdave

So far so good...as far as mags go...the tactical model has the synthetic stock..."heard" the synth body has issues with 30 round mags...my check out the poly mags