.22 or 9 mm suppressed?

Guest colombianito1021

Guest colombianito1021

OK, I am stationed in FT. Campbell and due to deploy for the 3rd time in about 10 months. Between now and then i would like to "build" a little arsenal :) Im looking to buy a suppressed weapon because i am just fascinated with the concept of them. I currently own a xD .40 and Walther PPS .40. I am looking for something that is really really quiet when suppressed. I wanted a 9 mm because no offense but a .22 just does not seem like much to me. Maybe its just me :slapfight: Please inform me on what handguns are awesome when suppressed and what you would recommend a 9mm of a bitty 22.:P

Thanks Fellas

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I am stationed in FT. Campbell and due to deploy for the 3rd time in about 10 months. Between now and then i would like to "build" a little arsenal :) Im looking to buy a suppressed weapon because i am just fascinated with the concept of them. I currently own a xD .40 and Walther PPS .40. I am looking for something that is really really quiet when suppressed. I wanted a 9 mm because no offense but a .22 just does not seem like much to me. Maybe its just me :slapfight: Please inform me on what handguns are awesome when suppressed and what you would recommend a 9mm of a bitty 22.:P

Thanks Fellas

First of all, thank you for your service. (I assume you are are with the Rakkasans)

As a fellow Servicemember (see avatar) nearing the end of his career, its so refreshing to see you young studs out there doing the do!

Now, on to your question.

9mm is pretty cool to shoot suppressed, but keep in mind its not James Bond quite.

Its a blast to shoot, but make sure you use the correct (subsonic) ammo.

.22LR is what we call "stupid quiet" which means its so damn quiet, you may think its a toy.

Here is a suggestion; buy a quality 9mm can, and set up multiple host guns: (Shooting .22LR through your 9mm can will still be very quite and very efficient)

9mm pistol (Tons of choices here)

.22 LR pistol (Ruger MK or P22 series, Sig Mosquito)

.22 LR rifle (Ruger 10/22 or similar)

.22 LR AR (install a .22 conversion kit in your AR15/M4)

Feel free to contact us down in Winchester.

We speak your language, and will square you way.

Joe

Guest colombianito1021

Thank you for your quick response Joe. I have noticed that you are the man to talk to with stuff like this. Im thinking about just using this for recreation so i am looking for "stupid quiet." I have decided on the p22. What do you recommend for a suppressor to achieve my expectations? I know your shop is a ways out but i have no problem in making the journey to purchase all products. THANKS!

Not to jack this thread, but I too am very interested in a can for a Sig Mosquito. I heard they are about $600, plus the 240 tax and transfer. Is there a difference in quality of cans? I also like the thought of a 9mm that I can use on both my Sig and maybe my Glock. I thought the inners of the can needed to be within a tight "tolerance" close to rifling. Is this true?

Just a thought here, but what would you think about a .45? Much bigger punch than a .22 but, if I'm not mistaking, it's a subsonic round so you don't have the loud crack when the round breaks the sound barrier like you would with a 9mm.

Not to jack this thread, but I too am very interested in a can for a Sig Mosquito. I heard they are about $600, plus the 240 tax and transfer. Is there a difference in quality of cans? I also like the thought of a 9mm that I can use on both my Sig and maybe my Glock. I thought the inners of the can needed to be within a tight "tolerance" close to rifling. Is this true?

A quality suppressor for a Sig Mosquito would run you 250-350 on average.

Can- 250.00

Tax- 24.00

Adapter- 35.00

Tax Stamp- 200.00

Pictures, fingerprints, postage- 20.00

Total cost to put a can on your existing Mosquito= 529.00

Resulting smiles? Priceless!

It's definitely a matter of personal preference but I found buying suppressors to be like buying handguns. Ya really can't have just one. My first can was an EV0-9. Definitely a ton of fun and before I knew it I had bought an AAC pilot for .22. Definitely more fun, cheaper to shoot and as close as you can get to "Hollywood quiet". So if I had it to do over again I would've bought my .22 can first because I definitely shoot it more than the 9 can. Not to mention in my experience it's cheaper to set up a .22 host weapon than a good 9mm host. Especially if you go with something like a Walther P-22. The only thing you will need is a thread adapter and your ready to shoot. But since the addiction has kicked in I now own multiple host weapons for the .22 and 9mm can. Granted this is just another opinion but I don't think you will be unhappy with either. www.sliencertests.com is a great place to pick up some good info on various silencers in various calibers.