Carry with HCP at gunshows?

I haven't been to a any gun shows in years. I got my HCP now. What are the rules about carring at a gun show? I e mailed Bill Goodman about this. No reply. I would like to carry at the next Goodman show. So I can get a proper holster for my Ruger P90. The holster I have now is a Ace fabric one with the mag pouch on it. Thanks, gearyr.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have carried at many gun shows and never had a problem. I do not carry a loaded gun that I intend on trading off or showing to someone. I also conceal it well and keep my mouth shut. I am not breaking laws when I do this, just the gun show's policy. An unloaded gun with a zip tie does me no good.

You can't have loaded guns at a gun show...they must be zip tied at the door.

That's what the gun show "rules" are. And the few times I've had something to sell/trade, of course I've checked that piece.

But there's no law against concealed carry at gunshows, and they never post anything like TCA legal signage, so I have carried concealed at all the gun shows I've ever been to.

- OS

That's what the gun show "rules" are. And the few times I've had something to sell/trade, of course I've checked that piece.

But there's no law against concealed carry at gunshows, and they never post anything like TCA legal signage, so I have carried concealed at all the gun shows I've ever been to.

- OS

OS is right...

There is no law that prohibits carry at gun show, unless it is at a school or other place already off limits.

So each show has it's own rules. All I have ever heard of usually have a sign that says "No loaded firearms" This is more than likely to prevent a loaded weapon from being handled, given back and forth to individuals, etc...

If you do not plan on selling/trading your carry weapon or anything else with it...you should be able to CC without any problem. If you are going to possibly trade/sell it or if you are looking for a holster for it and plan to insert in the holster to try it out....I would unload it and check it at the door.

I assume they could line up the paddy wagons and arrest near everyone at those shows. At least those carrying firearms to sell or trade along with anyone who purchased one. I am not aware of any laws that ban gun possession but then allow for guns in other instances.

I guess the KPD agrees to look the other way. Or maybe being that guns are unloaded makes them legal.

Guest bkelm18
off limits at the Jacobs Building in Knoxville, city owned park....???

Yep. Right smack dab in the middle of East Knoxville. Home to many friendly ethnic minorities.

I assume they could line up the paddy wagons and arrest near everyone at those shows. At least those carrying firearms to sell or trade along with anyone who purchased one. I am not aware of any laws that ban gun possession but then allow for guns in other instances.

I guess the KPD agrees to look the other way. Or maybe being that guns are unloaded makes them legal.

Not sure about loaded/unloaded, but firearms and knives are legal at "public recreational property" when possesed (not necessarly carried) for the purposes of "Gun and Knife Show" 39-17-1311(:)(1)(G)(iii)

39-17-1311 Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

(:D (1) The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to the following persons:

(G)
Also, only to the extent a person strictly conforms the person's behavior to the requirements of one (1) of the following classifications:

(iii)
A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending “gun and knife shows” when the program has been approved by the administrator of the recreational building or property
Guest savvysteve

If you are smart about it you can CC anywhere there are no metal detectors right. I would think technically speaking even though the official signage is not present aren't you breaking the law? You know they don't want loaded firearms inside the gun shop... so you are going to go through a legal battle to prove the organizers of a gun show didn't have the offical TN signage stating "Its a violation to carry a gun here.... blah blah blah". They are telling you "no loaded firearms". I totally agree that is the one place I want to be armed. So if the gun show people get smart and get proper signage are you going to quit going? Not carry? Those are your choices.

I know I have carried in places that I shouldn't but it was either too late or I knew about it and just was very careful. After all if you are concealing well enough no one will know to prosecute you in the first place. I am not advocating breaking the law, I am sure some of us have go into a place not realizing they sold alochol that may not have had the sign in a good spot.

Edited by savvysteve
Guest JeepMonkey
I am not advocating breaking the law, I am sure some of us have go into a place not realizing they sold alochol that may not have had the sign in a good spot.
I was in a similar situation yesterday while carrying fully concealed. I walked into a restaurant down at Western Plaza that I thought was dry, but I realized when I saw the menu that it wasn't. Want to know what I did?

I told the g/f I'd be right back, walked out to the Jeep, unloaded, and locked the gun under the backseat.

I will not carry where I am not allowed to until a law is passed stating that I can, no questions asked. Civil disobedience did win equal rights for minorities when Susan B. Anthony voted and Rosa Parks sat down on a bus, but it won't be worth 2 :poop:'s when it comes to a gun crime.

Just my :D though...not trying to pull a :) here.

Edited by JeepMonkey

There is no such thing as a mandatory "official" (read: issued by the State of TN) sign stating that a weapon is prohibited. The law gives certain lanquage that the posted sign must be substanitally similiar to. I am not sure exactly what Goodman's signs say, but if they are substantially similar to the wording in the law, then that is a legal prohibition of weapons. Carrying in violation of the sign/law constitutes a violation of law which comes with a fine of not more than $500.

And just for reference, saying "thats what the gun show "rules" are" makes no matter. Or saying that "I am not breaking any laws, just the gun show's policy" is not necessarily the case. The gun show can make its own rules and, in this case, if the signage meets TCA, their rule is law.

As an aside, even the gun dealers are not allowed to have loaded weapons on their person. Albeit, most have the unloaded gun in a holster and a full mag close by.

Having said this, I go to Goodman's shows almost every month and do not think, at least I have not noticed, the people at the door zip tying guns, so you should be fine carrying your weapon to find a holster. If you are going to be fitting holsters, I would leave the ammo in the car....or at least in your pocket.

I just wanted to clarify some inaccuracies. I suppport everyone's right to carry, but within the confines of the law. Are some laws ridiculous. You bet. But they are still the law and like a previous poster stated, do you really want to test the system? Are you prepared to spend the time in jail or the money over a judge's interpretation of a sign at a gun show prohibiting weapons? I would venture to say that most judges are gonna side with the prosecutor in the case of "That gun show's sign didn't cite the TCA code, therefore its not valid!!"

The only other option would be if Bill Goodman has the legal right to prohibit weapons on State Fair Ground property. He is not the owner, however, the building he is renting for the gun show could be considered "under his control", in which case TCA allows him to make the prohibition.

Edited by eehlert
Guest JeepMonkey
I just wanted to clarify some inaccuracies. I suppport everyone's right to carry, but within the confines of the law. Are some laws ridiculous. You bet. But they are still the law and like a previous poster stated, do you really want to test the system? Are you prepared to spend the time in jail or the money over a judge's interpretation of a sign at a gun show prohibiting weapons?
Highly agreed. The only way that we are going to get carry restrictions lifted is by showing that we, as permit holders, are law-abiding citizens. Breaking the law by illegally carrying will do nothing but hurt the case for less restrictions on places we can carry in.