Leagality of altering stocks???

K191145

Anyone know what's the legality of altering a MAK-90 wooden stock with thumbhole? I replaced it with a Dragonov stock a few years ago but the original has a crack in the wood below the thumbhole and I wondered if it's legal to cut that out and make a pistol grip and keep the butt of the stock. I'm pretty decent at wood working. I also have a Snake Charmer .410 that has a cracked cheap plastic stock and I want to cut that off to just a pistol grip.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your dragonov stock on your MAK90 is fine it is still considered a sporter stock and for the .410 I do believe your overall length has to be 26". If I am wrong I'm sure someone will chime in.

Thanks, I was told once that I couldn't leagally alter the original wooden stock on the MAK because of the 1990 import laws but the Dragonov was advertized for the MAK-90.

If the MAK is made into pistol grip configuration, you will need to comply with 922r compliance.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrel

(3) Trunnion

(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)

(5) Bolt

(6) Bolt carrier

(7) Gas piston

(8) Trigger

(9) Hammer

(10) Disconnecter

(11) Buttstock

(12) Pistol grip

(13) Forearm handguards

(14) Magazine body

(15) Follower

(16) Floorplate

If your yours has no muzzle brake, you will need 5 US made parts to stay legal.

If the MAK is made into pistol grip configuration, you will need to comply with 922r compliance.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrel

(3) Trunnion

(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)

(5) Bolt

(6) Bolt carrier

(7) Gas piston

(8) Trigger

(9) Hammer

(10) Disconnecter

(11) Buttstock

(12) Pistol grip

(13) Forearm handguards

(14) Magazine body

(15) Follower

(16) Floorplate

If your yours has no muzzle brake, you will need 5 US made parts to stay legal.

While all of this is correct and good information, he just wants to put another sporter type stock on the AK so he is good to go and none of this applies to him.

• 5 weeks later...

Good info guys! I have a MAK90 with a "Dragunaov" type stock, and finally got the lowdown from a BATF guy a few months ago. He agreed with the 922r info given above.

TK47