Kimber is worse than crack

dunndw

dang it

I went out to Guns and Leather Friday to shoot out of the NRA basic pistol training with Len. Like any good gun nut, I got there early to drool over the counters. I ran up on a used 4 inch Kimber Pro CDP. It looked pretty rough though. I had some misgivings about it. After shooting with Len, I went back out and looked at it again and left it there. There's probably nothing wrong with it, but I didn't get the "mojo" from it...but I did get the itch:D

Franklin Gun Shop had a new Pro CDP in the case, and I had a Glock 30 that needed new night sights and springs...so...I now only have 1 Glock 19...and 3 Kimbers :-) The Pro CDP "melt" job is sweet. Now If I can free up a day next week to go shooting I'll be REALLY happy. G&L wanted 850 for the used piece, the new one was 1150. The Glock brought in around 450. With tax and background I paid 800, which is what they wanted for the used one.

cdp1.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are nice-looking guns. I was almost seduced into buying one myself. I've shot a couple and they are the nicest 1911s I've shot, and that includes a Les Baer gazillion-dollar model.

But then I remember that at IDPA I have seen more Kimbers malfunction and break in ways $800 guns just shouldn't do.

Well, obviously I was at G&L with Dunndw and also showed remarkable restraint -especially with that Barrett rifle ($7k+!!) right there on the counter! (wow...) Kimber is an excellent value for your 1911 dollar -high-end for a moderate price, but I too have heard of malfunctions under stressful conditions. However, I still want to buy my own and find out for myself. :D

Oh, and Dunndw was a real nice guy, shot well and showed fine gun-handling skills. Great meeting you man! :)

Congrats on the new Kimber!

Good meeting you too Len. I appreciate the time you took to get me up to speed so I can attend class Friday...even with your sights being off :-)

We both had trouble walking away from the Barrett..and the Nighthawk they tried to tempt me with.

I've heard both god and bad on Kimbers. My own experience has been 99% good. the only one I've had any problems with is my Ultra Raptor. it likes to FTF every once in a while but nothing that a tap or a tap/rack wouldn't take care of. I think it has more to do with a 3 inch 191 than it does with it being a Kimber.

I had more trouble out of my Springfield GI Spec then any of my Kimbers.

Guest Steelharp

BigBoost... I'll have a matching set of Series 1's up for grabs soon... just FYI... a full size stainless, and a Pro Carry SLE...

• Administrator

Man, I miss my Kimber... but I'm glad it went to someone who will put it to good use. :D

Regarding the broken Kimbers, etc., I never had any problems out of my Tac Pro II at all. Ever. It fired everything I fed it and never complained, never jammed, never hiccuped. But recently I did notice a few posts over on the 1911.org forums regarding some problems folks were having with Kimber customer service. I can't help but hope that they are just isolated incidents rather than some new "norm" up at Kimber's New York HQ.

One of these days I might own another. :)

I took her to the range today....just as I suspected. No problems. Well...I had one FTF at around the 140 round mark. I did notice that I'm pulling EVERYTHING to the right worse than usual with this one. It's not the gun. I plugged the X one handed at 15 ft. It's my grip. I really wanted to keep the factory wood grips, but she might get a set of Houges for carry work.

Does anyone have any suggestions other then practice practice practice to help me overcome the pulling problem?

Not knowing how you're gripping the gun, it's hard to say. You might be pushing with your left hand, maybe anticipating recoil. Try moving the left hand a little further around the right so it has less leverage to push.

Just a SWAG suggestion.

Guess that WOULD be helpful :-)

I'm left handed, right hand is my support hand. I shoot is what I guess is a weaver stance like this fella

marks_2_wr.jpg

I'm applying (I think) too much pressure with my support hand and pulling my shot off at the last minute.

I switched to a (what I call) teacup stance and was hitting point of aim, but weapon control suffered.

Danny:

The most common issues for a lefty who's hits are right of POA are as follows:

1) Pushing (anticipating recoil) (POI might be high as well)

2) No follow through

3) Too little trigger finger (common when working with a new-to-you gun)

4) Tightening fingers at the break

5) Jerking/slapping trigger (POI will often be low as well as to the right)

(again, often the case when getting used to a new trigger, or for people used to shooting shotguns)

Go here:

http://tngun.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=50&dir=DESC&order=name&limit=5&limitstart=20

Find the target called "targetlefthanded" print out and take it to the range. I'll have a couple on Fri for you as well.

Hope this helps.

Guest db99wj

Here is an idea. Snap caps thrown in with your live ones will tell you a lot. You know they are in there, but you don't know when. If you are jerking (anticipating recoil) , pushing, slapping, jerking the trigger, you will find out real quick when you pull that trigger.

Thanks guys. I like the snap cap idea. I KNOW I'm jerking sometimes. When I took my Para out with the LDA after shooting the Kimber I was anticipating the trigger break of the 1911, not the LDA trigger. I noticed I was pulling the trigger to where I expected the shot to go off, then releasing the trigger without firing the shot.

Muscle memory isn't always a good thing.

Len...thanks for the link. I had that downloaded somewhere but I couldn't find them yesterday to print them off.

+1

We use this technique in classes all the time. It helps. Good call db99wj!

Btw, another little thing we like to do is have students shoot a revolver chambered in .357. Put 4 .38s in along with 2 .357s. A couple of good lessons come out of that, especially in intro-level courses.

Here is an idea. Snap caps thrown in with your live ones will tell you a lot. You know they are in there, but you don't know when. If you are jerking (anticipating recoil) , pushing, slapping, jerking the trigger, you will find out real quick when you pull that trigger.

Speaking of Kimber (and crack :D), has anybody heard or seen any recent news regarding the KPD? I can't say that I'm all that interested in getting one, but nothing has made it to market, so far, but it's still prominently displayed on their website...