Springfield Trap Door

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

Picked up an old Model 1884 Trap Door at the gun show today (Serial # 225***). Fellow said it was vintage 1888. Can anybody confirm that? The wood has been refinished, so it's just a shooter. That's fine with me because I have a lot less in it than a new reproduction would cost. I'd much rather have this one. It seems mechanically sound; in fact, I fired it when I got home, and it seems fine.

I had some BP loads left over from the years I owned a Sharps, which is why I've had my eye out for one of these. Never owned one before.

Should I shoot ONLY black powder? I never shoot anything but blackpowder in my BP frame Colts, even though I know some folks shoot light smokeless loads. Do some folks shoot smokeless in these things, or is there danger in doing that with even light loads?

Thanks for any input. I'm new to these things.

hickok

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hickok

Thanks. There ARE some good sites on this old warhorse. My main curiosity was whether my current handloads with 43 grains of IMR 3031 under a 405 grain cast would be too stout for this baby.

I think from my research that I'd better back off to about 35 grains, even though this gun seems very sound mechanically. It's just that I don't like changing my Dillon powder measures once I get a load the way I want it. Switching back and forth is something I try to avoid by buying more powder measures. Just call me the ultimate lazy reloader!

Guest hickok

This area is not all that active; guess I'm having a conversation with myself largely, but yesterday I tried 22 grains of 2400 under a 405 gr. cast bullet. It shoots great and is supposed to be safe in the old Trapdoors, according to the Lyman handbook. I might just try the load in my Guide Gun and 1886, too, for when I'm not hunting Cape Buffalo or Elephant here in Cheatham County! :-)

This thing is really fun to pack around and shoot. I think I like it better than the Sharpses I've owned. Nothing like combining some history with lead slinging.

Hickok

Edited by hickok
Guest jdavis

shooting that old indian killer makes a person feel kind of nostalgic, kind of makes you proud of todays technology and wonder why it was necessary at the same time. i really enjoy mine i am actually planning on taking it deer hunting next season.

Guest hickok

I just picked up some more brass and powder and loaded up another hundred rounds for mine this morning. Then I slung about twenty rounds downrange and around the farm this afternoon. Great fun and pleasant to shoot.

Very interesting design.

• 1 month later...

If you get a chance take a look at "Cartridges of the World" by Frank C. Barnes.

In it there is an IMR 4198 loading for 90% of the old black powder rounds from the 35-30 Maynard thru the 58 musket (Berdan). It might be a powder you want to try.

I have good luck with it in 45-70, 45 Danish, 44-77 and 43 Spanish.

Sherman Bell's pressure experiments, documented in "The Double Gun Journal", indicate that a 40% load of IMR 4198 gives almost exactly the same pressure curve as black powder.

You'll want to check this yourself of course.

• 4 weeks later...