Fake Cop Accused of Pulling Over Real Cop (Memphis)

jeffmem

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siegfried

This is really sad, but seems like every few yrs. somebody in an unmarked police car with blue lights and dressed in a fake uniform does end up pulling a female over on the interstate and the women ends up being raped.

There were people in Tn. a few yrs. ago wanting to require only marked cars could be used to do traffic stops after a similar incident, however it was voted down.

Myself i would never stop for an unmarked car, but call 911 and asked for a marked unit, but keep driving to a well lit area or gas station with my blinkers on and at that point have my gun at the ready.

Hope this SOB gets a few yrs!

Guest Rick O'Shay

About ten years ago I got pulled over and surrounded by 7 Memphis and Shelby County police cars on Getwell thinking I was the Blue Light Rapist. At the time I had an '86 Plymouth Gran Fury in cop blue I had bought at an auction in King County, Washington. It was an old undercover car complete with bench seats, vinyl floors and a hole where the shotgun rack had been. I loved that car because it would run like Hell, and cornered like a sports car, but the high-compression, premium only, engine sucked me dry financially. Anyway, I was bartending back in those days, had just gotten off work, and met some friends at the Half Shell on Mendenhall and Poplar to go downtown and try to pick up some chicks. I had been at the Half Shell long enough for one beer, and off we went. The next thing I knew I was John Dillinger.

I had no idea why they had pulled me over and surrounded me until I heard some of the calls coming over the radios. They thought I was the Blue Light Rapist, and dammit if I didn't match his general description - over 6', brown hair, blue eyes, and about 200#. I gave the police consent to search my car - I had nothing to hide, or so I thought. In my pack rat's dream of a trunk I had a fake wig leftover from Halloween and a box of 9mm shells (the POS Taurus was at home - I didn't carry in those days). I was so scared I was was trembling.

They asked where I had been, and told them I had just gotten off work and was at the Half Shell for about 10 minutes when I left. Apparently they called my work and found out I was telling the truth because all of the officers mellowed out a lot at that point. To make a long story short, the head guy at the scene told me, "I have been doing this a lot of years and my gut tells me you aren't the guy we are looking for, but we DO know where you live now. We have enough circumstantial evidence to take you to jail but we are going to let you go because I don't think you are the guy. Oh, and a piece of advice, WHEN you get pulled over again, and I don't mean IF, keep your hands where the officers can see them, we don't want something bad happening."

I thanked the officer, climbed shakily into my car, and went straight home. I have never been so scared in my life. A few days later my Gran Fury was gone and I was the proud owner of a new S-10 pickup.

About six months later they caught the real guy. And yes, we did look somewhat alike, and he had been driving a cop blue Dodge Diplomat.

Frankly in hindsight, I think my courtesy (yes sir, no sir, etc.) to the officers and my willingness to let them tear my car apart helped me in that situation. There was another factor that might have helped me, during the nightmare, my buddy I was following had seen me get pulled over, and had come back "to help." The guy was a dipsh*t. As soon as he showed up he started telling the cops his uncle was a Memphis cop and they shouldn't be bothering me. They told him to "Go stand next to your buddy and shut up." He wouldn't shut up and kept running his mouth. At one point I told him, "Ron, Shut the 'F' up or I am going to kick your a## right here!" One of the cops told him, "You better listen to your friend or you are going to be the one going to jail tonight!"

About a year later Ron jumped off the 9th floor of the Crescent Bldg, and his uncle was one of the responding officers. I was a pallbearer.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2006/09/blue_light_rapist.aspx

http://www.corpus-delicti.com/media_blulight.htm

http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=393

Edited by Rick O'Shay
About ten years ago I got pulled over and surrounded by 7 Memphis and Shelby County police cars on Getwell thinking I was the Blue Light Rapist. At the time I had an '86 Plymouth Gran Fury in cop blue I had bought at an auction in King County, Washington. It was an old undercover car complete with bench seats, vinyl floors and a hole where the shotgun rack had been. I loved that car because it would run like Hell, and cornered like a sports car, but the high-compression, premium only, engine sucked me dry financially. Anyway, I was bartending back in those days, had just gotten off work, and met some friends at the Half Shell on Mendenhall and Poplar to go downtown and try to pick up some chicks. I had been at the Half Shell long enough for one beer, and off we went. The next thing I knew I was John Dillinger.

I had no idea why they had pulled me over and surrounded me until I heard some of the calls coming over the radios. They thought I was the Blue Light Rapist, and dammit if I didn't match his general description - over 6', brown hair, blue eyes, and about 200#. I gave the police consent to search my car - I had nothing to hide, or so I thought. In my pack rat's dream of a trunk I had a fake wig leftover from Halloween and a box of 9mm shells (the POS Taurus was at home - I didn't carry in those days). I was so scared I was was trembling.

They asked where I had been, and told them I had just gotten off work and was at the Half Shell for about 10 minutes when I left. Apparently they called my work and found out I was telling the truth because all of the officers mellowed out a lot at that point. To make a long story short, the head guy at the scene told me, "I have been doing this a lot of years and my gut tells me you aren't the guy we are looking for, but we DO know where you live now. We have enough circumstantial evidence to take you to jail but we are going to let you go because I don't think you are the guy. Oh, and a piece of advice, WHEN you get pulled over again, and I don't mean IF, keep your hands where the officers can see them, we don't want something bad happening."

I thanked the officer, climbed shakily into my car, and went straight home. I have never been so scared in my life. A few days later my Gran Fury was gone and I was the proud owner of a new S-10 pickup.

About six months later they caught the real guy. And yes, we did look somewhat alike, and he had been driving a cop blue Dodge Diplomat.

Wow. That is a good story. Good thing they did not take you to jail. I would hate to be identified as the blue light rapist and have to spend a few nights down at 201.

Guest bkelm18
Mearl Purvis?

We have different tastes, my friend...

Pretty sure he was referring to Jill Monier (at least I hope), the woman who wrote the story, not Mearl the Anchorwoman. :P

Guest db99wj

I think there is a psychological issue going on with this guy and the others that are out there, and there are.

This guy drove a former "cop" car, complete with tinted windows, no hubcaps, spot light, siren, and lights (white and off blue like a teal to greenish color), handcuffs, speed radar, and some other stuff. He was an out of shape, middle aged guy that physically wouldn't have been able to cut it as a cop. His actions, his demeanor, his overall appearance was that of a cop with a few things missing, like training, the job, etc. There are many people out there that are like this. Everything in this guys life revolved around him wanting to be a cop. I bet he either was denied entry into the academy, if he was, he quite or was kicked out, has lost multiple other jobs due to a "liability risk" of some sorts.

Some crazy folks out there. We have a lot of them in Memphis!

Just my opinion by the way.