Swearing in of the 113th General Assembly

I was present at the swearing in of the 113th iteration of the General Assembly of Tennessee on Tuesday the 10th day of 2023.  I was struck by several realizations, which prompted question in my mind.

First, those who support abortion, drag and transgender rights are not afraid to show up and show out.  Effective or not at swaying public sentiment by being loud and colorfully noticed, they were present and enthused.  There was a rally across from Cordell Hull, well attended by legislators of a particular Party in solidarity with those sentiments, as well as vociferous pronouncements in the area outside the chambers of the Senate and House.  If decibels and numbers make a difference to legislators, this contest is done, as there was not one single person in attendance to offer a contrast.

Second, I actually listened (though I have to admit, I have the entire oath memorized, it is important to me as it is the written terms of their employment that I and my fellow contract holders wrote) to the words the members raised their hands, repeated and affirmed by the elected employees of the General Assembly.  I was struck by the monotony of the tone of responsive reading, like possibly they were simply going through the motions.  Of note, there are factions in the GA that refuse to recognize or treat with certain groups because of personal animus, regardless of the reason for said strife.  Perhaps truth has been spoken about rights being stolen, constitutionally guaranteed rights, recognized and pontificated on by SCOTUS, yet those who call out those invested with the powers of government and who blatantly deny those rights are vilified and scorned.  In  their oath they promise to protect and defend the constitutions of the United Sates and the State of Tennessee, then to “vote without favor, affection, partiality of prejudice”, it would be nice if that was truly the case, but I see a lot of favor and prejudice in the actions of many of our hired help

Third, it is apparent that the soul of our State is jeopardy.  I walked the halls of the office building of the legislators for a good bit of the day, and saw the legions of lobbyist, most recognizable from my years of advocacy. (Miss Bobbie Patray, a fellow Citizen Activist was there with her chipper attitude and wearing her “36th Year” button,  God Bless her and her boundless energy and dedication to advocating for good)  If the good people of Tennessee sit quietly on their couches and expect someone else to do the heavy lifting, the “progressives” who show up in force will win the battle.

Lastly, I was talking with a Senator who confirmed he was armed in the area between the two chambers (and that he was armed continually everywhere he went) after the ceremony.  I noticed several State Police officers on duty, I suppose to maintain order and provide protection, but for whom?  If the legislators are the servants under the constitution, why are they allowed arms for their personal protection and the People they serve are not?  Was the protection of persons provided by the State not sufficient for the members of the GA, are they special in such a way as to be allowed arms for their protection whilst We the People are not?

• Thanks 1

I want to thank you Worriedman for you what seems to be endless time that you spend at the state capitol. I would love to be there as you are, however work and family just take all my time. I know these are poor excuses. 
I do send emails as I can, even as my reps are on our side as far as I can tell. The more I read you posts and want to be there, thank you Sir.

• Like 1