Permit Renewal

Next Wednesday will mark 3 months since I renewed my Handgun Permit. I have yet to receive the actual permit. I wonder if the paperwork even made it out of the DL office. Is there a phone number I can call to check on it?

This makes the 4th renewal of my permit and it has never taken this long. I see other posts where first time applicants are getting theirs much sooner. Why the delay for a renewal?

John

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
Next Wednesday will mark 3 months since I renewed my Handgun Permit. I have yet to receive the actual permit. I wonder if the paperwork even made it out of the DL office. Is there a phone number I can call to check on it?

This makes the 4th renewal of my permit and it has never taken this long. I see other posts where first time applicants are getting theirs much sooner. Why the delay for a renewal?

John

615-251-8590

They should be able to give you status.

Guest JHatmaker
Thanks, I guess I'll just have to sit and grumble impatiently.

Calling can't hurt, so I'd give them a call. Worst case scenario they tell you 4 months, best case scenario they look up your renewal and process it on the spot and tell you it'll be in the mail in 7-14 days, which is really about 4-5.

Ring them up and tell us what they say, you got a 50/50 chance...

Guest dizzielizzie

The state code 39-17-1351 says the app has to goes to your county sherrif & TBI (section g) within 30 days for approval upon receipt of the app . The TBI is given another 30 days to send it to the FBI for approval upon when they receive the app (section h). Section L says "the department shall issue a permit to an applicant... no later than 90 days after the date the department receives the application." All of this is on www.state.tn.us look for the laws tab on the left.

Hey - it's the state code. Squeaky wheels get oiled...

Edited by dizzielizzie
The state code 39-17-1351 says the app has to goes to your county sherrif & TBI (section g) within 30 days for approval upon receipt of the app . The TBI is given another 30 days to send it to the FBI for approval upon when they receive the app (section h). Section L says "the department shall issue a permit to an applicant... no later than 90 days after the date the department receives the application." All of this is on www.state.tn.us look for the laws tab on the left.

Hey - it's the state code. Squeaky wheels get oiled...

That is only for new permits. Renewals do not fall into this.

It took almost 5 months for mine. I went to the permit office several times.

Guest bluecanary25

Oh boy, this is encouraging.... my permit expires in August. :poop:

Renewal #3 for me. Guess I'll get the process started early and in person to get a receipt..:shrug:

Hmmm, IIRC, I'll need some proof of citizenship this time......

If I curse like a sailor from the 70's, that should be proof enuff!!! :D

Oh boy, this is encouraging.... my permit expires in August. :poop:

Renewal #3 for me. Guess I'll get the process started early and in person to get a receipt..:shrug:

Hmmm, IIRC, I'll need some proof of citizenship this time......

If I curse like a sailor from the 70's, that should be proof enuff!!! :D

You can renew now if you like. You can renew up to 6 months before your permit expires.

Your birth certificate or passport will work for proof of citizenship.

Just did my #3 a few weeks ago myself, have always gone in person so as to get the receipt. Mine expires next month. I figure most TN LEOs know that an expired permit with a renewal receipt is valid. But I am going to NC in June....sure hope the renewal is in by then....might be harder to explain to an out of state LEO.

Guest bluecanary25

Fallguy,

Thanks for the reminder as to which docs are acceptable as "proof" of citizenship.

(Still think cussing style would establish citizenship.... :shrug: )

Fallguy,

Thanks for the reminder as to which docs are acceptable as "proof" of citizenship.

(Still think cussing style would establish citizenship.... :x: )

LOL...as long as certain phrases were properly used I'd say... :)

Many of which I've bet they have already heard. :D