Turkey Season Progress

Guest clutepc

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went out yesterday and finally located a gobbler! He was across a flooded creek on a ridge. He gobbled just about every time I threw a call out for about 3 hours. I was patient, but he never came across the creek. It was also thick timber and steep terrain, so visibility was limited. His gobbles would get louder, and just when I was expecting him to commit, he would turn back. He would answer my calls with a gobble just about every time until I had to leave.

I attempted to sneak in closer, but the creek was like a raging river from all the rain. I just couldn't cross it, and the woods were too thick to see the bird at any distance. I needed him to come to me and my dekes out in a clearing on the trail, but he had other ideas. Maybe henned up... or maybe he could see me... :D

I am hooked on spring turkey hunting now more than ever! I couldn't hunt today, but I might be able to get out for a few hours tomorrow late morning.

Guest clutepc
I went out yesterday and finally located a gobbler! He was across a flooded creek on a ridge. He gobbled just about every time I threw a call out for about 3 hours. I was patient, but he never came across the creek. It was also thick timber and steep terrain, so visibility was limited. His gobbles would get louder, and just when I was expecting him to commit, he would turn back. He would answer my calls with a gobble just about every time until I had to leave.

I attempted to sneak in closer, but the creek was like a raging river from all the rain. I just couldn't cross it, and the woods were too thick to see the bird at any distance. I needed him to come to me and my dekes out in a clearing on the trail, but he had other ideas. Maybe henned up... or maybe he could see me... :D

I am hooked on spring turkey hunting now more than ever! I couldn't hunt today, but I might be able to get out for a few hours tomorrow late morning.

I've had them get hung up with a knocked down fence that was sticking up about a 1 1/2 ft so the water could easily do it.

I've spent most of the season saying I don't know.. guess thats why they call it hunting.

I'm not sure If I'll get another chance to get out myself, not looking to good.

I'm glad you were able to get on a bird.. kicks the ole heart rate up a little..lol

We do expect pictures if you get one :dropjaw:

Guest sharpshooter01

Was cooking on the grill last evening and had one gobbling on the ridge behind the house. If I only had permission to hunt it.

I missed a huge old gobbler this morning. 3 longbeards came in on a string to our decoy. I had a steady shot at 35 yards and just blew it. I have no idea which way I missed but the gobbler was uninjured best I could tell as he ran clear to the next county. Only thing I found on the ground was 1 turkey ear. I must have shot it clear off his head.

I will tell you that it sure sucks to miss a big bird for no good reason. It sucks more when an hour later you are working in another bird and fall off your stool backwards as you reach for a call on the ground behind you. Spooked the bird and didn't see another feather all day. I should have stayed in bed this morning.:koolaid:

Guest sharpshooter01

Sounds like a tough morning. I have missed 3 birds in my 18 years of hunting them. 2 of them I know why I missed and the last one I still don't know what happened. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.