Home Attack in E.Nashville

This posted from the E.Nashville list-serve. Is there anyone, anyone, here who does not think a pump shotgun aimed in the proper direction would have solved all this?? Jill and Greg were the victims and initially posted what happened. This is by a neighbor/eyewitness.

As neighbors to Jill & Greg, we all need to be aware of the manner in which these young men attacked their home. As noted, it was 10:30 in the evening. Woodland Street, as typical for a Friday evening, was lively with neighbors at home, and folks traveling up and down the sidewalks and street. Greg and Jill's home, and ours immediately next door to them, were fully lighted inside and out. Our window blinds were open and we were in our living room in full view of anyone, including these brazen fools. They could see us, and we could see them pacing the front yard and sidewalk. Neighbors across the street

were on the front porch and they could be easily heard in their

conversations by anyone along this stretch of Woodland. The front-porch neighbors even had a view of the boys as they cased and attacked the house. In our house, we could hear the loud thuds as the aggressive and damaging attack on the front door began. The attackers could see us watching them from our windows as we ran for phones to call the police and check on our neighbors to see if they were home.

Our obvious reactions appeared to cause them to flee.

The fortunate outcome is that Metro Police arrived quickly. As we stood on 15th giving our accounts to the officers, we observed the boys strolling along Holly past 15th Street. We immediately pointed to them and directed the officers to pursue them. The boys were caught. Detectives arrived, the boys were lined up in the street in front of our houses, and we identified them as the culprits. They were charged and taken to Juvenile detention.

Everyone in our vicinity, please be aware that this has occurred. The detectives believed these boys (aged 14 or so) to be rather foolish and reckless in their attack, but not a serious threat. But, how would one know that with absolute certainty? Our greatest concern as these boys were certainly released last night back into our neighborhood and may seek retribution for our obvious effort to secure their capture and identify them.

Note bold parts. Uh, no. People crashing into my door at 10:30PM knowing I am there IS a serious threat and will be treated as such.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN

I agree with you Rabbi! Although, they sounded kinda, well, retarded or something. Trying to do this while the home owners are watching you, does sound kinda stupid!

The problem is that more and more criminals are getting bolder and bolder. They often don't care who is looking because more often than not, even if they get caught, very little is done to "damage" them. Spending a few days/weeks/months in jail is a badge of honor these days. It gives them more "street cred" for when they launch their rap career or go in to the gang. For all you know, this could have been an initiation of some type. Yes, 2 thugs trying to break down my front door would have been enough to fear for my life.

The problem is that in this country we care more about animals than we do human life. That is evident by the outrage over the Michael Vick case, vs. that of the Terri Schiavo case a few months ago. But I digress. If the neighbors could see all of this going on ahead of time, why did no one call the cops to report suspicious activity? Why did they wait until after the thugs started attempting to break in to someones house. If someone doesn't belong in my neighborhood AND they are acting suspiciously, they will atleast get an interview by me or one of my neighbors as to whether they are lost if they need help finding their way to where they are supposed to be. This does 2 things, lets criminals know that we are a tight knit community and that we watch out for each other, and gives us a chance to get a GOOD description of them, their vehicle or anything else we might need to provide the cops. Usually this will send them on their way.

If you start trying to bash in my door day or night, you will be treated as a serious threat. I wonder if this was some kind of gang initiation thing. I do wonder what would have happened if there was a loud BANG and one of their heads would have exploded in a red mist. The home owners would more than likely be in trouble for hurting someones "little boy who ain't done nothin wrong"

The downside is the neighbors are now likely to be targets for payback from the little turds for being snitches...so hopefully they'll be prepared for their return.

I've been in that area...it's wonderful what the neighborhood has become. All those old houses being restored instead of being torn down and replaced by cookie cutter condos. It's also good to see the neighbors looking out for one another.