hcp residency length

Guest meyerbj81

Guest meyerbj81

Hey guys first post here, you've a great site. I am in MS but will be moving to memphis for work shortly. I have my MS chl but will become a TN resident so I'll need to get my hcp. My question is, how long do I need to be a resident of TN before I am eligible or am I good to go as soon as I get my DL?

Thanks

Brian

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest meyerbj81

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I had done some research before asking and couldn't find anything specfic so I was just trying to mooch some knowledge off of you guys. Thanks again and I'm going to call someone up today just to make sure

Guest meyerbj81

Well just got off the phone with a very kind lady and she told me I could apply when I get my drivers license. She also said they were backlogged but that I should call after about 2 weeks and that will help speed it up...looks like they're wise to the courtesy call bit too ha ha

Guest 270win

I moved from Arkansas to TN a couple of years ago and filled out the handgun carry permit form at the highway patrol office on Summer in Memphis when I was exchanging my AR driver license for a TN DL. It was pretty easy...I just paid a $50.00 renewal fee and the DL working made a copy of my Arkansas concealed handgun license. I could use my AR CHL 6 months from the time i got my TN DL...but my TN handgun carry permit came a month after applying.

I did not have to take a class or do a firing range qualification in Tennessee because I took a class and qualified on a range in Arkansas. I also did not have to get fingerprinted. You may have to take the class and qualify at a range, since Mississippi does not require range qualification. Be sure and do that pretty quick before that 6 months is up on being able to use your MS license.

Guest meyerbj81

Thanks for the welcomes guys, I've to compliment whomever is running this that its a great site and more active than many. I'm not moving to memphis til august but I think I'm going to go ahead and take the class to get that out of the way. I know of range USA for classes up there and they seem to have a good reputation, is there anywhere else I should look? Also I've found a place on mud island because I'd like to be near the local hospitals( where I'll be working), is that a decent area or should I look elsewhere. Keep in mind I live in the heart of jackson, mississippi so I'm no stranger to not necessarily so nice areas.

Thanks again,

Brian

Hey guys first post here, you've a great site. I am in MS but will be moving to memphis for work shortly. I have my MS chl but will become a TN resident so I'll need to get my hcp. My question is, how long do I need to be a resident of TN before I am eligible or am I good to go as soon as I get my DL?

Thanks

Brian

See here:

Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

You won't have to pay the $115 app fee, only the $50 renewal fee. That helps some.

- OS

Guest meyerbj81

Thanks Ohshoot for that info, I read that link and it says I must obtain a tennessee permit within 6 months of moving....so does that mean for the first 6 months my mississippi chl will work with my tennessee drivers license? Whoops looks like razorback answered that one for me already....glad thatll cover me til TN sends me mine. I don't want to have to learn where to stay away from in memphis unarmed ha ha

Edited by meyerbj81
Thanks for the welcomes guys, I've to compliment whomever is running this that its a great site and more active than many. I'm not moving to memphis til august but I think I'm going to go ahead and take the class to get that out of the way. I know of range USA for classes up there and they seem to have a good reputation, is there anywhere else I should look? Also I've found a place on mud island because I'd like to be near the local hospitals( where I'll be working), is that a decent area or should I look elsewhere. Keep in mind I live in the heart of jackson, mississippi so I'm no stranger to not necessarily so nice areas.

Thanks again,

Brian

I moved to Memphis from Jackson too... Was over 20yrs ago though. Jxn and memphis have both gone downhill a bit since then i think.

I would definitely go with Range USA... No question!

Haven't heard much about mud island lately. Last i heard, it was a nice place to live though. Better than where i'm currently living, no doubt. My apts made the news tonight :rolleyes:

Welcome :D

Guest meyerbj81

Ha ha gotta love living in "famous" neighborhoods. I live at meadowbrook and state street if you're familiar with jackson. It always fun to watch the first ten mintues of the news and play "there's my house" when they put map up of where the nearest robbery/shooting etc etc happens. I figured I'd try to cough up a little more and try to move to a place a little less "famous"

:( You will be giving up some of that fame by moving to mud island. Definitely get some other opinions though.... Yeah. I would imagine meadowbrook and state street would be a pretty "happening" area these days.

You probably know about germantown. It's one of the safer places to live around here, and in the vicinity of 3 or 4 hospitals. Sounds like you may just be frequenting the ones on the other side of town though. Personally, i had rather live on mud island though.

Best of luck with your move B)