HB0962 and the Senate

Guest benchpresspower

So I guess they are gonna drag this out until once it passes it won't go into effect until next year.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I feel like sending Jackson an email thanking him.... for nothing.

WTF was up with not just getting it done tonight? Maybe they exceeded their mental capacities for legislatin' tonight? All them big words and all. Like that idiot that kept rambling on until someone pointed out he was talking about the wrong bill.

Edited by HexHead
Guest HexHead
So I guess they are gonna drag this out until once it passes it won't go into effect until next year.

Effective date is June 1. They didn't say which year though.

I feel like sending Jackson an email thanking him.... for nothing.

Sen. Jackson has been a real asset to us and blasting him is not the right thing to do. I don't know why it wasn't brought up but he will get it done.

I guess we wait till Thursday.

Guest HexHead
Sen. Jackson has been a real asset to us and blasting him is not the right thing to do. I don't know why it wasn't brought up but he will get it done.

The longer this gets dragged out, the more likely it is for one "incident" to hit the news and this goes in the ****ter. I swear at this point I would almost rather have had the original House bill and this have been a done deal a month ago.

Don't forget, we're not the only ones writing to these guys. And also, the entire media is against us and they will twist every sensationalist story they can to shoot this down. Last night I was watching Channel 5 at 10pm, and they had a story about some asshat legislator wanting a bill to allow carry in Legislative Plaza. it was from that "why should lawmakers be safer than the rest of us" angle.

Edited by HexHead

I agree....an e-mail asking about when it may be heard or what is the status may be good....but no need to be sarcastic/confrontational/rude to him.

I would suggest keeping a watch on the Senate Schedule and see if it is on the calendar for Thursday when it is published.

Gonna be here. The city council is probably paying for the news story. God knows the criminals don't want this to be law :P

I was wondering if Hardaway may have had something to do with it.

I replied to the story, but it hasn't posted yet....wonder if it will....

The longer this gets dragged out, the more likely it is for one "incident" to hit the news and this goes in the ****ter. I swear at this point I would almost rather have had the original House bill and this have been a done deal a month ago.

I do agree that the longer this bill is still not passed then the longer it's open for potential problems. The Senate has been strong for this bill and I hope it remains that way. If we were waiting for the House then I would really be sweatin it. I still worry and if it had been passed weeks ago with the limits on it I would be happy because I am never in beer serving restaurants after 11pm anyway. I also agree that we are not the only ones that are calling and sending emails. We need to keep that up until the fat lady is singing!

Guest djack41

The restaurant carry bill will be presented Thursday morning. I am not aware of a problem. Dad said he hopes to set the record straight and elbow the press for their slanted coverage.

The long gun carry bill was moved to Monday so it would not get in front of the restaurant bill and provide ammo for the critics.

The restaurant carry bill will be presented Thursday morning. I am not aware of a problem. Dad said he hopes to set the record straight and elbow the press for their slanted coverage.

The long gun carry bill was moved to Monday so it would not get in front of the restaurant bill and provide ammo for the critics.

Thanks for the update!!

Guest HexHead

Why didn't he bring it up tonight and just get it done?

I understand wanting it to be done, but you know even if this had been passed and signed by the Governor in February it would not have taken effect yet.

Even if a few Senators for some reason changed their mind (which I doubt) since their last vote, I still don't think it would be enough to not pass the bill.

As we saw with the past the bill took in the House...I think things happen they way they do for a reason, even if we don't know them right away.

Guest db99wj

Because our government doesn't work like the nextel commercials.

From a conversation I had with a house member, everything that has happened thus far had to, needed, must have happened to get us to this point. I will give the senate the benefit of the doubt and say the same thing, things are happening for reasons, and we will have to be patient.

So instead of thinking people for nothing, lets give him the benefit of the doubt and be patient.

Thanks for the update djack41 and thank your dad for me too.

Patience is a virtue.:yum:

no offense, but/and respectfully some of ya'll just need to chill... I and a few others here said all last week this thing wouldnt be done till later this week. Guys it takes time to work these things... so far its all worked out pretty sweet and it will be fine. No point in getting into a big rush... it wasnt like it was going into effect this week anyway, it could have completely passed months ago and it wouldnt have mattered as of today.

Chill people...........

Guest SomeGuy

Is that what it means when people talk to me of growing more patient, and wiser with age, where you clamor needlessly for restrictions on your freedoms?

Even I am able to sit back, and watch/wait a few more days, especially for a bill that won't become law immediately anyway.

Guest HexHead
I understand wanting it to be done, but you know even if this had been passed and signed by the Governor in February it would not have taken effect yet.

Even if a few Senators for some reason changed their mind (which I doubt) since their last vote, I still don't think it would be enough to not pass the bill.

As we saw with the past the bill took in the House...I think things happen they way they do for a reason, even if we don't know them right away.

I'm fully aware of that. I'm not being impatient because I can't wait to carry in a restaurant. I'm very concerned that the longer it gets dragged out, the higher the chances something could happen to derail it again. Something as stupid as a shooting in another state where an innocent person is injured.

The House was a very different issue. There were some with strong feelings there about the restrictions, so it wasn't just a given that passage would occur. The Senate however, this should be a slam dunk, like asking firemen if they want water. It breezed through the votes twice by huge majority and they are being asked if they want to accept the bill they submitted with no changes. Am I missing something here? This shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to pass.

Or have all the delays, negative press, angry letters and calls from liberal moonbats changed the landscape? The longer it keeps being pushed to the next session, there's just going to be more of that.

This has been pushed twice now. I'm counting them adjourning the other day before the House vote. You'd think some pro-gun Senator could have filibustered on one of the other bills for an hour or so to keep them in session until after the House vote. :koolaid:

Edited by HexHead
I am probably the only one on this forum that when it gets down to it could

give :koolaid::shrug: about the restaurant thing. I really want them to fix the loaded long gun law.

Mike, I'm right there with you. Most of the time, if I'm in a restaurant I'm having a drink, so I won't be carrying anyway. However, I want to be able to carry ANY of my weapons that I care to loaded!

I'm fully aware of that. I'm not being impatient because I can't wait to carry in a restaurant. I'm very concerned that the longer it gets dragged out, the higher the chances something could happen to derail it again. Something as stupid as a shooting in another state where an innocent person is injured.

The House was a very different issue. There were some with strong feelings there about the restrictions, so it wasn't just a given that passage would occur. The Senate however, this should be a slam dunk, like asking firemen if they want water. It breezed through the votes twice by huge majority and they are being asked if they want to accept the bill they submitted with no changes. Am I missing something here? This shouldn't take more than 30 seconds to pass.

Or have all the delays, negative press, angry letters and calls from liberal moonbats changed the landscape? The longer it keeps being pushed to the next session, there's just going to be more of that.

This has been pushed twice now. I'm counting them adjourning the other day before the House vote. You'd think some pro-gun Senator could have filibustered on one of the other bills for an hour or so to keep them in session until after the House vote. :shrug:

I think what everyone's pointing out is you called out a State Senator thats done nothing but support and help our 2nd ammendment cause... doing this with a huge NRA signature in your post. It sends a very dangerous and offensive message. Most of those same people calling for your patience realize there are lots of side deals in the works for other 2nd ammendment legislation as well. So basically, the Resturant carry has passed, its about as done of a deal as you can get. Now im worried about the rest of the bills... I waited 14 years for this meal.... now I want my cake! :koolaid:

Guest HexHead
I think what everyone's pointing out is you called out a State Senator thats done nothing but support and help our 2nd ammendment cause... doing this with a huge NRA signature in your post. It sends a very dangerous and offensive message. Most of those same people calling for your patience realize there are lots of side deals in the works for other 2nd ammendment legislation as well. So basically, the Resturant carry has passed, its about as done of a deal as you can get. Now im worried about the rest of the bills... I waited 14 years for this meal.... now I want my cake! :koolaid:

Well, the cooler head prevailed and I didn't email Jackson. But I disagree that anything good can come from dragging this out any further at this point. How is postponing this helping other gun bills? They had to push the long gun bill back so it wouldn't be right on top of the restaurant bill.

I've lost track of the parks bill at this point. I know the fingerprint bill, which even the TBI endorsed, went to Bredesen's desk. Did he even sign it?