body armor

Guest justme

Tell that to the families of those 32 students of VT. Tell that to the families of the Columbine victims.

are you suggesting that i should send my kids to school wearing body armor? yes, bad stuff happens but thats just crazy.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

logically i really dont know how to justify it if you arent in law enforcement or the military, or private security.

To those in the thread that have the "justification" response.

This is the same attitude that anti's have on our other items of interest.

SBS'

SBR's

FA's

AOW's

All of these items are in the same category as armor. People are always asking for justification for such items.

Who cares. Because you need it or just want it. It should be an individual decision based on that persons needs/wants. No one else need have any other say i it. Some consider it "extreme" or warranting mental evaluations.

Let it be.

Guest justme
In all honesty that degree of Paranoia and hysteria does warrant a screw being loose, you can tell yourself that it does not all day long if it makes you sleep better at night :stir:

there are places where BA is useful for the people. It is not paranoia or hysteria. should it be worn everywhere--of course not. but if you think the world is such a safe place, then we can call anyone wearing BA paranoid or having a screw loose.

Guest justme
are you suggesting that i should send my kids to school wearing body armor? yes, bad stuff happens but thats just crazy.

I am suggesting that if a college student feels safer and wants to put on a level IIA or IIIA piece of armor under their clothes when they walk onto a campus in this state--they should be allowed to do so without being looked at as a cook, or possible terrorist--especially considering that campuses in this state are gun free zones--and we all know about gun free zones don't we...gun free zones are prime targets for people like Seung Hui Cho...

of course I am also an advocate of campus carry by students.

there are places where BA is useful for the people. It is not paranoia or hysteria. should it be worn everywhere--of course not. but if you think the world is such a safe place, then we can call anyone wearing BA paranoid or having a screw loose.

Listen,

Do what you want, wear what you want, something you may want to consider, Body amour does nothing to protect your head. Now what are you going to do wear a bullet proof helmet and face shield?

Listen,

Do what you want, wear what you want, something you may want to consider, Body amour does nothing to protect your head. Now what are you going to do wear a bullet proof helmet and face shield?

Duck.

Guest justme
Body armor stops rapes? Body armor stops robberies? Body armor keeps someones husband from beating them? Now whose argument is without merit?

no BA gives the people an additional level of protection when a gun is pulled in a high crime area, or in a campus shooting, and so on.

Most officers are shot at traffic stops. That means they are stopping someone suspected of committing a crime at that time. Not responding to a crime in progress.

most traffic stops are done because of a traffic offense, or stolen vehicle. It is only during the stop itself that the officer has no idea whether the individual in the car just killed their loved one and does not want to go to jail-the remainder of the assaults against the police are done while responding to reports of crime after the crime has already been committed.

Really if you want to wear body armor just do it, I'll even tell you what brands are good and how much you should pay, but please don't insult my intelligence.

I'm not insulting your intelligence--I'm saying that you completely overlook the fact that the people in this country are always on the forefront of violent crime--the 1.3 million violent crimes committed in this country in 2006 is a prime example.

I am suggesting that if a college student feels safer and wants to put on a level IIA or IIIA piece of armor under their clothes when they walk onto a campus in this state--they should be allowed to do so without being looked at as a cook, or possible terrorist--especially considering that campuses in this state are gun free zones--and we all know about gun free zones don't we...gun free zones are prime targets for people like Seung Hui Cho...

of course I am also an advocate of campus carry by students.

of course i support campus carry and if a college kid wants to armor up who cares. The only part of your comment i questioned was the Columbine part, those were high school kids in a rural area. a terrible thing happened there but I dont really think we need to wrap our kids up in BA. Its your money, wear a kevlar helmet to Walmart for all i care.

Guest justme
Listen,

I know that too. never said I would wear a face shield or helmet. The object is to try and avoid such situations entirely, but being able to deal with it if it is unavoidable.

you just seem to be of the impression that only a chosen few should be able to have BA and that all others who think this is a dangerous world are just paranoid freaks.

if wearing armor makes you paranoid--that means all of the military are paranoid, as are all police and mercs...

I merely asked the question about how many have or considered purchasing armor and why--and from there, we got here.

Edited by justme
Guest justme
of course i support campus carry and if a college kid wants to armor up who cares. The only part of your comment i questioned was the Columbine part, those were high school kids in a rural area. a terrible thing happened there but I dont really think we need to wrap our kids up in BA. Its your money, wear a kevlar helmet to Walmart for all i care.

Columbine is an example of a violent crime committed against innocent and defenseless people, before LE could respond or mobilize--and the fact that Klebold and Harris killed themselves rather than fight it out with someone who could fight back.

yes I know that HS students don't need guns--so my argument is not to arm HS students..my point is that violent crime more often than not happens to the people and not to the police.

Edited by justme
I know that too. never said I would wear a face shield or helmet.

you just seem to be of the impression that only a chosen few should be able to have BA and that all others who think this is a dangerous world are just paranoid freaks.

if wearing armor makes you paranoid--that means all of the military are paranoid, as are all police and mercs...

I merely asked the question about how many have or considered purchasing armor and why--and from there, we got here.

The Military and Law enforcement officers wear BA because they are engaging in COMBAT, settle down and listen to yourself, I could give a **** what you or anyone else wants to blow their money on. You are PARANOID to say the least, clearly you are EXPECTING to be involved in COMBAT to even think of wearing this, Clearly you are living in fear, myself I do not

Edited by willis68
Are there situations where it might be useful? Yes. Is it likely to be a "wear everyday" item? Not for the vast majority of folks in their everyday life.

Here are 3 where it is useful....

1. You hear the "bump in the night" and strange voices downstairs and movement in the house. Here might be a place you want the ability to grab something that will stop a bullet and put it on as you grab your gun and move to cover.

I just tape a picture of my mother-in-law to my chest. It has the ability to repel ANYthing.

Guest joeharris

This might burst your bubble, but any 7.62X25 will defeat Level 11 Body Arm. the same bullet, if it has a steel core, like a lot of the Czech M-48 ammo, will defeat a Level 111 vest with 2 Trauma plates in it and exit out the back, like a hot knife through butter!:stir:

Guest nraforlife

Yes but wearing BA with a HCP Badge worn on your pants ziper and your 8' barrel Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull straped to your leg in OC mode is the only way to walk around. Makes quite a fashion statement at your local Calhouns

Edited by nraforlife
Guest joeharris
Yes but wearing BA with a HCP Badge worn on your pants ziper and your 8' barrel Ruger Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull straped to your leg in OC mode is the only way to walk around. Makes quite a fashion statement at your local Calhouns

I did not know Ruger made a Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull, but i do have a Super Redhawk in that caliber!:stir:

Guest nraforlife
I did not know Ruger made a Super Blackhawk in .454 Casull, but i do have a Super Redhawk in that caliber!:stir:

Fixed

Guest c.a.s.
The Military and Law enforcement officers wear BA because they are engaging in COMBAT, settle down and listen to yourself, I could give a **** what you or anyone else wants to blow their money on. You are PARANOID to say the least, clearly you are EXPECTING to be involved in COMBAT to even think of wearing this, Clearly you are living in fear, myself I do not

Odd to think that you carry a gun.

Is that not why Police and Military also have their guns?

Because they expect to be in combat.

Let me switch around for you.

"You are PARANOID to say the least, clearly you are EXPECTING to be involved in COMBAT to even think of carrying a deadly weapon. Clearly, you are living in fear. Myself, I do not."

Guest c.a.s.
Columbine is an example of a violent crime committed against innocent and defenseless people, before LE could respond or mobilize--and the fact that Klebold and Harris killed themselves rather than fight it out with someone who could fight back.

yes I know that HS students don't need guns--so my argument is not to arm HS students..my point is that violent crime more often than not happens to the people and not to the police.

False statement.

I'm a High School students and I own SEVERAL guns. All long guns (to be precise, because of law), but they are lawfully mine, given as birthday and christmas gifts.

Odd to think that you carry a gun.

Is that not why Police and Military also have their guns?

Because they expect to be in combat.

Let me switch around for you.

"You are PARANOID to say the least, clearly you are EXPECTING to be involved in COMBAT to even think of carrying a deadly weapon. Clearly, you are living in fear. Myself, I do not."

I will use a gun to Protect my family, I carry a gun to Protect my family. I do not think that anyone will be shooting at me anytime that I leave my home. The only civilians that I know of who wore body armor happened to have robbed a Bank of America in Hollywood california in 1997.

If you cannot see the logic in carrying a gun and not wearing body armor then I cannot help you to do so.

Edited by willis68

(8' barrel Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull)

I wasn't aware that they made em in an eight FOOT barrel!!!:P

BUT the mental picture is FUNNY as S***!!

Edited by adamween
To those in the thread that have the "justification" response.

This is the same attitude that anti's have on our other items of interest.

SBS'

SBR's

FA's

AOW's

All of these items are in the same category as armor. People are always asking for justification for such items.

Who cares. Because you need it or just want it. It should be an individual decision based on that persons needs/wants. No one else need have any other say i it. Some consider it "extreme" or warranting mental evaluations.

Let it be.

i am not saying i need justification for BA only the fact that I WANT IT. just like i dont need justification for a M-16, MP-5, serbu shorty, suppressors, or even a 10mm for that matter. but i WANT these.

i am not saying you are overly paranoid or need a mental evaluation if you want or have BA. the OP asked who had thought about getting it or wearing it. the first response had the tone that you dont need it as a civilian. i wish i had a reason i could say that i NEED it as a civilian, but i dont. that is all that i was saying in reference to the justification. just like i cant justify a .50bmg rifle, but i want it.

I get the justification of having it if you want it. If you want a vest to lay by the bed in case of a break-in or a riot then that's good planning.

My point is the people who wear this stuff everyday because they could very well encounter an armed subject, don't like it and wish we didn't have to wear it.

C.A.S, as far as your comments to Willis did you even think about what you are saying? You as a civilian 17 year old have the option of running the hell away. The military, police officers, and private security professionals don't have that option. We run TOWARDS the gunfire. We do put on a uniform everyday fully intending to step between those who would do you harm and yourself. The chance I'm going to need a vest is exponentially higher than the average citizen. Regardless of how anyone here wants to spin crime statistics.