9mm reloading brass

Guest mudduck

Guest mudduck

ok i have to as as i am new to reloading,everyone is talking about once fired brass,my question is how many times can the brass be fired and reloaded?? safely

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not sure there is "too many times" to reload. you do want to always check your brass for cracks, bulges, etc. I have reloaded some of mine and shot it at least 5/6 times. it always goes bang. keep checking the OAL, at some point you may have to trim the case down.

Shoot it till it cracks, bulges, or primers don't seat well. YMMV

I have .38 specials with target loads that have been reloaded 20+times & some .44 magnums that my dad was reloading in the early 80's

The key to good case life (straight walled ammo) is not overexpanding them with that 2nd die. You can expect anywhere from 5 - 20+ reloads with straight walled, moderate pressure rounds like 9mm

Guest mudduck

oh ok thanks for the info,that helps,i was thinking to just leave all the brass on the groung after it was loaded the second time,but i will pick it all up and check it out,thanks again

Guest Matthew
oh ok thanks for the info,that helps,i was thinking to just leave all the brass on the groung after it was loaded the second time,but i will pick it all up and check it out,thanks again

Yes Yes. Exactly. After the second reload you MUST leave that brass laying on the ground. Now, if you could just tell me when and where you're shooting. :)

Guest Astra900

Just as a reference: I've been playing with 6 pieces of Hornady .357 mag brass. A 158g FMJ loaded on 10g of Accurate No7 Roughly 1300FPS. I've loaded them 8 times so far with no apparent problems, I figure to get at least three or four more loadings out of them. Who knows. I'll load them till they split or are too thin to hold a crimp.

I picked up a Smith & Wesson 500 mag from a buddy in my reserve unit. I got brass and dies as part of the deal and I have no clue, (nor does he), as to how many times they have been reloaded. I have reloaded them at least 4 times and I've only thrown one out due to a crack at the mouth.

Save your brass and as stated, inspect it at each stage of the reloading process...trim if needed and keep on keeping on as Joe Dirt would say.