Hog guns

Nice! Being in Crossville helps a lot. I used to get the Catoosa draw hunts every now and then. Saw a lot of pigs in that area.

*EDIT*

I misread where you were from. lol

I got my first hog at catoosa. it was a young boar. He is on the wall. I now wish that I had mounted the boar that You see in the above picture. He was nice , but I thought , how many pigs do you really need on your wall. They are ugly!!

All my others came from western putnam co.

moose.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a hunting buddy, I'm available all summer (more or less) and right up the road :(

Most hog hunting is close range stuff. They won't come out of the thick in daylight usually and in tn you can't bait or shoot at night. I've never actually shot one in tn, but I'm pretty fussy over the shots I'll take. In Tx, its pretty easy the way they do it. Without dogs, I do it the hard way. Look for sign and track, still hunt them over rough terrain. Hope for a shot.

Hey Mugster, thanks - I'll have to take you up on that! I don't know when I will be able to go, but hopefully a few times this summer. I am new to hog hunting, but I have seen a few in the woods. I'll send you a PM when I am able to go.

I have shot three with a mathews switchback and carbon arrows, but the largest was with my Rem. 700 CDL 7mm Ultra Mag thru both front shoulders!

112006_18531.jpg

I thought this guy was a bear when i first spotted him!!

DSC00167.jpg

Sow shot with archery equipment.

All of these were killed in TN. There are a lot of hogs if you know what areas to hunt!

Nice pics! If you ever need somebody to go hog hunting with, give me a call...:drama:

Guest Mugster
Hey Mugster, thanks - I'll have to take you up on that! I don't know when I will be able to go, but hopefully a few times this summer. I am new to hog hunting, but I have seen a few in the woods. I'll send you a PM when I am able to go.

Sounds good. I got a couple trips planned, but I'm sure we can do something. I'll go ahead and drop you a PM with my numbers. I'd be happy to let you do the shooting too if its one shooter type of thing.

Gotta figure out a guy to cut the thing up if you/we get lucky. Unless your planning to do the cutting. My deer guy won't do pigs I don't think. I'll call him, see what he says.

Nice pics! If you ever need somebody to go hog hunting with, give me a call...B)

Thanks KahrMan I'll keep that in mind. I am currently looking for another piece of land to lease in the area that I like to hog hunt in. If I find one I will give you a yell!!

Felix-01-june.gif

Well I got one. I shot a boar that went just over 100 pounds. When we arrived Friday evening, we had just enough time to sit the stand for about an hour. A lone boar came in and I put a .44cal hole through his neck at 35 yards. He didn't even kick, just went DRT, or so I thought. When I walked up to him he started cutting his teeth at me. I guess the first shot had shocked the spine, but missed the arteries. I issued a coup de grace and got him skinned and in the cooler before 9pm. It was so dang hot down there that I didn't have much desire to hunt much more.

Congatulations! Any pics?

I got in such a hurry to get it cleaned and in the cooler that we forgot to take pics.

EDIT TO ADD: I do have a video of the hunt, I just have to get it converted and on the web.

To stave off the hungry:

Here is one from last year that was the same size

pig008.jpg

Edited by whiskey
add content
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest fan of the 1911

Nice Ruger!!! I'm going to have to own a Ruger before long. I favor the red hawk w/4"bl ss 44mag myself, but their is a sexy factor on the single actions.

Guest Muttling
458 Socom is my ticket if I ever get back to Catoosa. Back in the day it was a .444 Marlin.

IMG_0958a.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

Do you intend to actually hit it or just scare the poor thing to death????