Importing a car?

Guest colombianito1021

Guest colombianito1021

Well, my dad has had a Jeep CJ6 in Colombia for many years now. He has said that i can have it. It was given to him from the wife of his best friend which was killed. My uncle has been the care taker and restorer of it. I was thinking about keeping it there but I would get more use of it bringing it here. What would be the process in bringing a car into the US? How much is it around? Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I sure hope you're thinking Columbia, TN is a foreign country to Clarksville. LOLOLOL

Forget it, not worth the hassles. Just have them sell it and send you the money.

I'm not familiar with importing, but I know a guy who's brought over two Mercedes Gelandevagens, or however you spell it. It's doable, for sure.

Likewise, check out some Jeep message boards. I haven't messed with them in a while, but if it's an actual CJ-6, it might be worth something if you could get it in country.

Guest coldblackwind

I looked into it at one point when I couldn't figure out why a skyline was 3 times much in the U.S. as japan. Its ridiculously expensive, and convoluted.

I dont know about a truckin service but,it was about 450 to truck my z06 vette from TX to TN.

I may have a vw bug driven down to Cancun but it is just a time thing.I will have to fly a driver from Cancun to Houston and pay him to drive it back down.The driver said 36 hrs to 40 hrs and is a QROO res. it will cost about 900.00 total. I know the driver and he has a visa. be safe in your transport

Guest HexHead
Well, my dad has had a Jeep CJ6 in Colombia for many years now. He has said that i can have it. It was given to him from the wife of his best friend which was killed. My uncle has been the care taker and restorer of it. I was thinking about keeping it there but I would get more use of it bringing it here. What would be the process in bringing a car into the US? How much is it around? Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.

Do you know if it was originally sold in the US and transported to Colombia or if it was an export model. If it was originally built for export, it might be really expensive to bring it to US standards for import.

Don't forget, they were still building VW Beetles in Mexico until just a few years ago. There's a reason you didn't see any in the US.

I used to be into show cars and....fast honda's:eek: there used to be a company that i believe is still around called cumberland imports...They used to ship in right hand drive honda's and engines and tranny's from japan all the time I believe they would have the cars shipped in a container...they would unbolt the whole engine cradle, the rear suspension and I think the doors...making the car 5 peices would then turn it into parts, and then reassemble when here into a "kit car" to register it. I think...I'm not sure as I never bought one but they did it quite a few times.

Guest tadams

There's a lot of horror stories on the net and folks that make you think the worst. It really isn't that hard.

There are some real question you'll have to anser: What year is the CJ6? Is it a gas engine? Is it the original ride height and does it have bumpers/ seal belts? Do the door locks work? (certain years)

Once we know that, we can get the ball rolling fairly easily.

What does Columbia use to show proof of ownership? Title? Does the vehicle have any registration documentation or proof that the VIN (if there is one) belongs to the vehicle, in order to correspond with its year of manufacture?

The majority of the work will be on your Dad's end. Is your Dad in Military? Does he know someone that is? (Citizen, but stationed in Columbia to do the shipping?)

Your Dad will need to make sure the undercarriage is pretty clean; all wheel wells, over top of suspension, in between leaf springs (may require lift) and so forth. You don't have to eat off it, but no sediment that is clumped large enough to hold insects or insect eggs.

Your Dad will have to arrange the delivery to a port and obtain a shipping company. He will have to fill out an HS-7 form (available from Raoul's link) and the HS-474 form (if applicable)

I would suggest Charleston for the US Port, unless FL is cheaper for you.

A friend of mine just went through this... and found a lot of people looking to make a buck off him. You don't need anybody but yourself and some money and a little time. I'm serious. Don't believe all the hype and BS you see/ read about on the web. If you need more help, PM me. I'm busy the next few days but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.