HCP question

Guest BigBoostDSM

Guest BigBoostDSM

I took the HCP course on August 5th, applied August 7th, and was fingerprinted on August 8th. I've been told that the wait is 3-4 weeks depending on your location.

My question is whether or not their is a number to call to see about the status of the permit. I am originally from IL and when I applied for my FOID card they had a number you could call and they would tell you how far along the card was. I realize that it's two totally different things, I'm just curious if TN has something similar.

I'm just wondering if it's going to take longer since I'm not a US citizen. Been here all but 6 months of my life, just not in a financial position to become one yet. There's an extra hoop I have to jump through to purchase a gun (show proof of current address for 3 months prior to purchase), so I just want to make sure there won't be any weird snags while being approved for the HCP.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bigboost, where are ya from anyway? :D When I was in the army, one of my best friends was from Amman Jordan. He went through the hoops and the last time I talked to him, he worked for border patrol. I've since lost contact with him, but I remember all the crap he had to go through to be a citizen.

believe it or not, he still tears up a little bit when he hears the national anthem.

I love that guy! (in a manly, best friend sort of way)...

Guest jediihaf

I took my class in July. I did my application on July 31st at the DMV, and my digital fingerprints at the Putnam Country Sheriffs Office on August 1st. My permit arrived August 25th. I was specifically warned by the sheriff's representative that had a hand in our class, to NOT call and check on your permit. He said if you happen to catch them on a bad day, they'll just get upset you called and put you back at the bottom of the pile. They have a full legal 90 days here to get you your permit so you'll just have to be patient :D. If you did digital fingerprinting it should only take 3-4 weeks. If you did old school ink printing it could be all of 90 days. Sorry.

Guest BigBoostDSM
bigboost, where are ya from anyway? :D When I was in the army, one of my best friends was from Amman Jordan. He went through the hoops and the last time I talked to him, he worked for border patrol. I've since lost contact with him, but I remember all the crap he had to go through to be a citizen.

believe it or not, he still tears up a little bit when he hears the national anthem.

I love that guy! (in a manly, best friend sort of way)...

I was born in Toronto Canada. I moved here at 6 months old so I pretty much consider myself a citizen without the benefits. I have passed the citizen test (Standard part of HS where I'm from in IL), so I know I can make it.

Just gotta jump through all the little hoops and cough up the money they want.

Guest BigBoostDSM
I took my class in July. I did my application on July 31st at the DMV, and my digital fingerprints at the Putnam Country Sheriffs Office on August 1st. My permit arrived August 25th. I was specifically warned by the sheriff's representative that had a hand in our class, to NOT call and check on your permit. He said if you happen to catch them on a bad day, they'll just get upset you called and put you back at the bottom of the pile. They have a full legal 90 days here to get you your permit so you'll just have to be patient :D. If you did digital fingerprinting it should only take 3-4 weeks. If you did old school ink printing it could be all of 90 days. Sorry.

I did do the digital fingerprinting. I was just more curious weither or not it would take longer because I'm not a citizen. I have a feeling it won't, but I figured I would throw it out there.

I'll definetly be reporting my findings as to how long it took for those who search the topic in the past (like I did). I came up empty handed though.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Got it today! 24 days from date of application. I'm pretty excited, time to make the trip to walmart for some nachos ;)

The permit came before the holster I ordered back in April right after I bought my gun. I was hoping it would be here around the same time, but I still have another month on the holster according to the website I ordered from. I have a couple OK holsters that will make due for now though.

Guest BigBoostDSM

For the last few days I've been watching the mailbox. Today I didn't even want to look because I was guessing I'd be disappointed. I was wrong ;)

I ordered a High Noon Tailgunner. It's an IWB. I ordered it April 7th, 2 days after I bought my gun. I think I've been waiting 22 weeks now, but I haven't counted lately. Their website says that April orders are in the sewing dept, so that's another month still. Hopefully it'll be worth it though.

Guest Medic908

Just a warning for others so they don't have to go through the same harrangue I did with the D.O.S. - they will not accept a driver's license only as proof of citizenship at the Hamblen County Driver's License Office.

You MUST have your birth certificate (an original copy with raised seal) for application and a copy is sent with your paperwork to the State D.O.S.

I tried to plead my case (without success) and an hour later, was back with my birth certificate.

Guest BigBoostDSM
Just a warning for others so they don't have to go through the same harrangue I did with the D.O.S. - they will not accept a driver's license only as proof of citizenship at the Hamblen County Driver's License Office.

You MUST have your birth certificate (an original copy with raised seal) for application and a copy is sent with your paperwork to the State D.O.S.

I tried to plead my case (without success) and an hour later, was back with my birth certificate.

They used my SS card as a 2nd form. I had my green card and my birth certificate as well, never asked to see them.

The problem is that with the new Homeland security stuff every so many years you are going to have to show it again anyway. I do know you have to at least show it once and they do send it in, not to the state, but to homeland security.:P

Guest BigBoostDSM
The problem is that with the new Homeland security stuff every so many years you are going to have to show it again anyway. I do know you have to at least show it once and they do send it in, not to the state, but to homeland security.:P

What am I missing? I didn't have to show anybody that stuff...My green card expires every 10 years, is that what you're referring to?

Guest BigBoostDSM

Also, that site doesn't say anything about non-citizens needing a birth certificate.

I was planning to use my green card (INS I-551 Permanent Resident Alien Card), but was told that my SS card was fine for proof. I had everything that I needed but wasn't asked for any of it besides my current DL and my SS card.