Preference between .223 and 6.8

Can anyone point out a detractor of the 6.8? There are some good comments in this thread and they prompted me to ask this question. I am interested in buying an operational rifle like the LWRC M6. I have a 5.56 varmint type rifle but want the additional energy out of the 16 inch barrel with the 6.8. Any bad experiences or reasons not to go with the 6.8?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone point out a detractor of the 6.8? There are some good comments in this thread and they prompted me to ask this question. I am interested in buying an operational rifle like the LWRC M6. I have a 5.56 varmint type rifle but want the additional energy out of the 16 inch barrel with the 6.8. Any bad experiences or reasons not to go with the 6.8?

The only real detractors will say is cost, which has been fixed thank to SSA new plinking ammo, and range. The 300 yrd range is about the only thing people can knock the 6.8 for. However, if you are target shooting over 300 yrds you've just defeated the purpose of the 6.8 and entered into the realm of wildcats and specialty stuff. The 6.8 is designed for combat out of short barrels and to max out the balance of effectiveness, capacity, weight, and accuracy.

I don't see a downside to 6.8, aside from the previously mentioned range issue. My only thought is that if I want something harder hitting than .223, I'll go straight to .308, like DaveTN said...

I don't think it's a useless round though, since it does fit in the same actions and magwell as a standard AR and provides some increased power. I'll personally be sticking to calibers which are more readily available... I'm not too sure that an extra few grains of bullet weight and millimeter or so in diameter will make a bad hit any better... and a good hit with 5.56 will do what I need it to.

The only real downside is availability of the ammo. An AR without ammo is a very expensive club. Like those who previously posted, get a 6.8 upper and shoot it until you run out of ammo and can't get any more, then switch to 5.56.

Remember, there have been lots of "better mouse trap" calibers that have emerged, over the years. Most have fallen to the way side. So, always have a backup plan with a caliber that has withstood the test of time.