Tullahoma area - please check in here

Guest HexHead

The Mayor of Murfreesboro shoudn't have called the TSSAA to ask them what they think about it. All he did was create a problem where there was none, by making an issue out of it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I just realized a major potential issue ... the Short Springs Nature Area is technically a "State" park... but there may be sections owned by the City of Tullahoma .. and there is adjacent land owned by the Tullahoma Utilities Board.

Talk about a potential mess. What if the parking lot or trail head is city owned, but the rest belongs to the State and TVA? I know there's a TVA survey marker on the trail to Machine Falls ... and a path for power lines crosses the trail too.

I know there are snakes out there. A .22 wouldn't be a bad thing.

Guest Patty

Short Springs is a State Natural Area, and is owned by Tullahoma City. Shooting snakes is illegal, even if you feel threatened, don't do it.

Short Springs is a State Natural Area, and is owned by Tullahoma City. Shooting snakes is illegal, even if you feel threatened, don't do it.

So I can legally shoot a human being when I feel in imminent danger, but not a snake? :)

So I can legally shoot a human being when I feel in imminent danger, but not a snake? :)

I hiked Machine Falls and Busby Falls today ... didn't see a single snake. I did see a tiny mention of no firearms on a small bulletin board inside the park.

The State defines the park as SHORT SPRINGS CLASS I SCENIC-RECREATION STATE NATURAL AREA.

Since the law specifies HCP carry legal in a "natural area... owned or operated by the state...", it is my opinion that Short Springs falls in with all other State parks and has been legal for HCP carry since July 1.

But one might argue that Short Springs is owned by the combination of the City of Tullahoma, the State and TVA and thus Tullahoma can exempt the park. In this case, the law is clear on jointly owned or operated properties:

If such area is jointly owned or operated by municipalities or counties, then a resolution adopted by a majority vote of all affected legislative bodies, voting individually, is necessary for such municipalities or counties to prohibit persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, from possessing such handgun while within such park.

The State's position is clear that HCP shall be permitted. That might only leave TVA as a problem. But because the law is only specific in the case of areas jointly owned or operated municipalities or counties, I suspect the State's preemption law comes into play.

Thus it is my lay opinion that Short Springs is already HCP cleared! ... just don't shoot the snakes.

Edited by cybernorris
I hiked Machine Falls and Busby Falls today ... didn't see a single snake. I did see a tiny mention of no firearms on a small bulletin board inside the park.

Do you have any info on these falls? I'm always looking for new waterfalls in TN to hike to and photograph. :)

Update on Short Springs Nature Area... the TUB GIS indicates the majority is owned by the State. There is a small triangle (where a Charter tower used to be) that is owned by Tullahoma. Thus we can be confident this area is HCP clear as of July 1.

As for the snake issue, the reason why it is illegal is because TWRA does not have a season for snakes. To kill a snake would be similar to a farmer killing a deer or something for eating his beans. It is just a good idea to not even get into a situation with it and just push them out of the way with a stick or something.

Guest DefensiveGuy

"The numbers I researched indicate 848 HCPs in 37388 (4.71%) and 6,565 HCPs in the four county area (4.55%)."

Just rambling but if the population you listed here includes those under age 21 and others who are not eligible, then the HCPs are a much higher percentage of those eligible.

And this is just a pure guess on my part, but i would guess that HCP's, being the hard working honest folks they are, are an even higher percentage of potential restaurant customers.

When i first found out about the store he had a nice selection of pistols and a bunch of hunting rifles. Went in a couple weeks ago to shoot the bull and saw some AR's Siaga shotguns and other stuff. Usually has ammo at good prices too. Wish he would expand his reloading stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to Al at Hoselton's today. He is going to what he said was his last meeting with the Co about the range. He said if all goes well he will be up and running next week. Worst case senerio have to wait for a lead land test. Which would take just a couple weeks to open if all goes well. Hoping to be able to shoot soon close to home.