Shreveport Citizens Disarmed By Police For 2nd Amendment Bumper Stickers

Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

I know this is not in TN and we need to keep it that way.

Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended.According to Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, his cops “have a power that [. . .] the President of these Unites States does not haveâ€: His cops can take away your rights.

And would you like to guess which rights he has in mind?

Whole story

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foister82

oh my. i lived for a few years in Baton Rouge, glad to be out of that state all together... this will be an interesting story to follow

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I'm not sure of any case law in Tennessee, but I doubt you're going to find a judge who'd sanction a police officer for securing a weapon during a traffic stop. That's just one more reason I don't like our HCP system.

Pretextual stops are lawful in Tennessee and Louisiana. Unfortunately.

Guest justme
I'm not sure of any case law in Tennessee, but I doubt you're going to find a judge who'd sanction a police officer for securing a weapon during a traffic stop. That's just one more reason I don't like our HCP system.

Pretextual stops are lawful in Tennessee and Louisiana. Unfortunately.

Yes, but you have no legal obligation in Tennessee to answer questions in the first place.

personally I think it would be best to limit conversation with the police strictly to the reason for the stop...

Edited by justme
Guest justme
I know this is not in TN and we need to keep it that way.

Whole story

this is exactly why a person should not answer questions not relevant to the original reason for the stop, and even then the information given should be extremely limited in my opinion--stops all too often seem to turn into fishing expeditions just like this Louisiana stop did...

and if possible the conversation should be recorded--for your protection.

Edited by justme
Guest jp79

There was a full hour devoted to this on gun talk a few weeks ago. the gentleman that was stopped was on the radio telling his side of the story. There was also a follow up the next week.

My understanding was the duty to inform is only relevant if you have a carry permit and are carrying concealed. You do not need a permit in that state to carry in your car.

You can listen to the back episodes on the guntalk website. Anyone interested may want to do that.

I lived in Shreveport 6.5 years... with a carry permit for half of that. An interesting point in this ... LA grants your car the same right of privacy as your home.

I believe Cedric Glover may have been involved in a gun buy-back program in the mid-90s. He was a nice guy and, though liberal, was not a nut case.

When I moved to Shreveport in 1990, it had one of the highest per-capita homicide rates in the US. There was (and probably still is) an extraordinary amount of gang violence. It's a city where in certain neighborhoods people took to sleeping on the floor so they would be less likely to be shot by stray bullets.

My mother in law still lives there. I will visit there again, but will only go armed. I will never live there again.

Did they take control of the weapon during the stop, or did they confiscate it from him and keep it?

Most states don’t recognize the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment; that is no surprise. But it sounds like they trampled all over his first amendment rights also.

The original slant of the story/complaint is not accurate. As I read more details, the officer took control of the weapon and returned it upon releasing the guy.

Louisiana State Police have published the following directions to CHP holders:

The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer. Anyone who fails to do so shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars. Additionally, when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
  2. Submit to a pat down;
  3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.

I think Cedric (I've spent time with him, so I feel comfortable using his first name), handled the phone call pretty well. It might have been best for him to not describe what happened as suspending any constitutional rights. He would have done much better if he had known the rules and merely quoted the directions above.

I still won't go back there without a gun.

Edited by cybernorris