Discussion on posted restaurants

Guest bkelm18

Name: Outback Steakhouse

Address: 402 S. Illinois Ave.

City: Oak Ridge, TN

Contact details: (865) 220-0783

Details of posting: Non-compliant sign that says something to the effect of "While we support our patrons' rights, we do not allow guns in our restaurant."

That's too bad. I really like that restaurant.

The Knoxville area July 14th celebration dinner was held at Hooters, which as it turned out was posted, albeit a little too discretely from what I hear.

That sucks. I actually enjoy the hotwings at hooters.

Did anyone carry during the dinner? Were they asked to leave?

Guest bkelm18
That sucks. I actually enjoy the hotwings at hooters.

Did anyone carry during the dinner? Were they asked to leave?

Well yeah, they were celebrating being able to carry at restaurants that serve alcohol, so I would assume most were carrying. No they weren't asked to leave. I believe it was discovered they were posted after the fact.

Well yeah, they were celebrating being able to carry at restaurants that serve alcohol, so I would assume most were carrying. No they weren't asked to leave. I believe it was discovered they were posted after the fact.
Yes, almost all of us were carrying, and we didn't find out about the sign until the next day. Some even went out to the parking lot and changed rigs in the middle of the meal because they couldn't decide which gun should have the privilege of celebrating such a special occasion. Okay, that was me... :rolleyes:

I really do call BS on hooters being posted that night.

I don't think they posted it until the next day. I searched high and low for signage when I walked in and on subsequent trips back outside to look for other attendees.

The wings were good anyway.

Guest HexHead
I really do call BS on hooters being posted that night.

I don't think they posted it until the next day. I searched high and low for signage when I walked in and on subsequent trips back outside to look for other attendees.

The wings were good anyway.

I wouldn't sweat it. You shouldn't have to search for the sign. The sign has to be in plain view at the entrances.

I wouldn't sweat it. You shouldn't have to search for the sign. The sign has to be in plain view at the entrances.

I totally agree, the dang sign should have to be posted right on the door.

Kind of funny that the no smoking signs are right on the front doors, but the no guns thing is posted where you have to hunt to find it.

Sad news for me.

Drove by Huey's on Poplar in East Memphis, they are posted. It is a half of a sheet of paper (8 1/2 X 5.5) on the front doors. It has the circle slash with gun and then the pursuant to......verbiage below.

Huey's on Germantown Road also :tough::rolleyes: I really hate it since our family goes there (use to) at least 1 night per week. Most weeks were also there on Saturday nights after church with 3 of our friends.

The sign is small and I did not even see it until we left tonight. Thank goodness I was not carrying tonight or I would have to turn myself in!!

Guest kdpate
Name: Outback Steakhouse

Address: 402 S. Illinois Ave.

City: Oak Ridge, TN

Contact details: (865) 220-0783

Details of posting: Non-compliant sign that says something to the effect of "While we support our patrons' rights, we do not allow guns in our restaurant."

Sounds like a manager's call since the one's here haven't posted...;)

Guest Yodawg

Went recently and found "no guns allowed" verbiage at the front door of the Bonefish in Collierville. Plan on explaining to manager why that was my last trip to this restaurant. I don't care if the sign is "legal" or not. I know their intent.

I'm bummed - one of my favorite out-of-the-way little restaurants has posted and will no longer get my business. I'll miss the best steak-burger I've ever had...

Name: Game Time Sports Grill & Wings

Address: 11695 Highway 70

City: Arlington

Details of posting: Properly posted (word for word) by front (only) door.

Guest jwb68
The Tennessean is responsible for all this. They went to these restaurants and made them affraid. Hooters, for instance, doesn't post in any other states that have handgun carry allowed. Why is Tennessee different? The answer: The Tennessean.

Apparantly this is not true. Here is the reply to my email to Hooters.

We at the Hooters Hotline received your inquiry today

> regarding our Concealed Weapons Policy. Thank you for

> taking the time to contact us.

>

> In areas where concealed weapons are allowed, we do post a

> sign that says ‘firearms and other weapons are not

> permitted on the premises.’ Thankfully, it is a

> choice we have the freedom to make. We respect those

> customers who decide not to patronize our business because

> of this decision.

>

> We do hope that this information is helpful. However,

> if you would like more information about us, please visit us

> on the Web at www.hooters.com.

>

> Thanks so much for writing, ____________. We

> appreciate your interest and look forward to seeing you in

> one of our neighborhood restaurants soon.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Dennis

> Hooters Hotline...We give a Hoot!

Considering their demographic I would think this would not be a very good business decision. Apparantly nasty wings, cheap beer and trashy women win out over carry.

Sounds like a manager's call since the one's here haven't posted...:tough:

Actually its probably a franchise policy. Other ones around Knoxville are posted with the same sign he had described. The outbacks in my home town are not posted and its legal to carry and drink in moderation there. (to avoid being flamed and derailing the thread. im not saying i recommend doing so im just sayin it is legal there and has caused no poblems.

Knoxville - Strawberry Plains

(865) 932-0636

7400 Sawyer Lane

Knoxville, TN 37924

Proprietor: Richard Hurd

Knoxville - Merchants Dr

(865) 281-0999

314 A Merchants Drive

Knoxville, TN 37912

Proprietor: J. Brian Crowe

Edit: upon looking deeper on outbacks website they do each have a different proprietor. So it may be a individual decision but the owners all got together and ordered the same sign. Or the website could be referring to the manager as the proprietor.

Can anyone confirm if the location in west knoxville is posted or not.

Edited by jpruett79

ADAPT AS YOU SEE FIT:

20 July 2009

Peter Demos

Demos’ Restaurant

1115 Northwest Broad Street

Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Re: Handgun Ban

Dear Mr. Demos,

It is with regret that I write this letter. I have long enjoyed your family’s great restaurants.

I am a 41-year-old, self-employed attorney and father of two. I make a comfortable living for my family and we dine out very often. I am also a local elected official, currently serving my third term on the Board of Mayor and Aldermen in Franklin, Tennessee. I also coach and sponsor little league baseball and football teams, and do other volunteer work in the community. I have never been arrested or charged with any crime. For the last fifteen years, I have been a handgun permit holder, and I have carried a handgun every day everywhere it is legal to do so.

Your decision to ban handguns from your restaurants is, of course, your decision to make, and I trust you must have your reasons to do so. This, however, will result in me not patronizing your restaurants so long as you maintain this ban. Most of the quarter million handgun permit holders in Tennessee likely will feel the same way, and we are a very passionate and committed bunch of people. Your restaurant has already been posted as banning handguns on numerous websites frequented by handgun permit holders. Those same websites are disseminating the name and location of restaurants that do not post, as well.

As handgun permit holders are by and large exceedingly inclined to obey the law, it is unlikely you will have any permit holders violate your posted ban, we simply won’t come to your restaurants. Despite the hyperbole and hysteria disseminated in the media, so far, I have not personally encountered a single restaurant that has posted a ban, I have only read about restaurants that have posted or plan to post a ban.

I wish you well in your endeavors and invite you to reconsider your position. If you would like to discuss this matter with me, you can contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely yours,

Edited by redstategunnut
ADAPT AS YOU SEE FIT:

20 July 2009

Peter Demos

Demos’ Restaurant

1115 Northwest Broad Street

Murfreesboro, TN 37129

Re: Handgun Ban

Dear Mr. Demos,

It is with regret that I write this letter. I have long enjoyed your family’s great restaurants.

I am a 41-year-old, self-employed attorney. I make a comfortable living for my family and we dine out very often. I am also a local elected official, currently serving my third term on the Board of Mayor and Aldermen in Franklin, Tennessee. I also coach and sponsor little league baseball and football teams, and do other volunteer work in the community. I have never been arrested or charged with any crime. For the last fifteen years, I have been a handgun permit holder, and I have carried a handgun every day everywhere it is legal to do so.

Your decision to ban handguns from your restaurants is, of course, your decision to make, and I trust you must have your reasons to do so. This, however, will result in me not patronizing your restaurants so long as you maintain this ban. Most of the quarter million handgun permit holders in Tennessee likely will feel the same way, and we are a very passionate and committed bunch of people. Your restaurant has already been posted as banning handguns on numerous websites frequented by handgun permit holders. As handgun permit holders are by and large exceedingly inclined to obey the law, it is unlikely you will have any permit holders violate your posted ban, we simply won’t come to your restaurants. Despite the hyperbole and hysteria disseminated in the media, so far, I have not personally encountered a single restaurant that has posted a ban, I have only read about restaurants that have posted or plan to post a ban.

I wish you well in your endeavors and invite you to reconsider your position. If you would like to discuss this matter with me, you can contact me at your convenience.

Sincerely yours,

Bravo! ;)
Guest Hi Point

I really see both sides of this argument. There will be people that go out and drink with their guns, but those people are the ones likely to have brought their gun with them where they weren't supposed to anyways. Is it more likely that more people will drink with their guns since it is legal to carry them into establishments that serve? I don't know. I heard a guy make a really good point, if you are an establishment owner and you post signs everywhere saying that weapons are not allowed, it is like advertising to robbers, I am leaving this place unarmed and am unable to defend myself. Sheesh, touchy subject, about like abortion.

Guest db99wj
I really see both sides of this argument. There will be people that go out and drink with their guns, but those people are the ones likely to have brought their gun with them where they weren't supposed to anyways. Is it more likely that more people will drink with their guns since it is legal to carry them into establishments that serve? I don't know. I heard a guy make a really good point, if you are an establishment owner and you post signs everywhere saying that weapons are not allowed, it is like advertising to robbers, I am leaving this place unarmed and am unable to defend myself. Sheesh, touchy subject, about like abortion.

But you are wrong, very wrong, according to all the reports, news media, city officials across this state, you put up the sign or we ban them, then no guns will be there, end of story.;)

Ok, heavy sarcasm off. Yep, yet another one of the valid reasons these bans are idiotic.

Guest redbarron06
i wish Tennessee was like a couple of other states that have the law that posted signage means nothing.

if they dont post correctly then they do mean nothing, I still aint eating there.

Apparantly this is not true. Here is the reply to my email to Hooters.

We at the Hooters Hotline received your inquiry today

> regarding our Concealed Weapons Policy. Thank you for

> taking the time to contact us.

>

> In areas where concealed weapons are allowed, we do post a

> sign that says ‘firearms and other weapons are not

> permitted on the premises.’ Thankfully, it is a

> choice we have the freedom to make. We respect those

> customers who decide not to patronize our business because

> of this decision.

>

> We do hope that this information is helpful. However,

> if you would like more information about us, please visit us

> on the Web at www.hooters.com.

>

> Thanks so much for writing, ____________. We

> appreciate your interest and look forward to seeing you in

> one of our neighborhood restaurants soon.

>

> Sincerely,

>

> Dennis

> Hooters Hotline...We give a Hoot!

Considering their demographic I would think this would not be a very good business decision. Apparantly nasty wings, cheap beer and trashy women win out over carry.

We don't have a hooters here but damn i do like their wings although to be honest I think Logans wings kill hooters. Took my friend girl her daughter and my son there Sat and she was like the last wing is mine and threaten me with bodily harm LOL

I heard a guy make a really good point, if you are an establishment owner and you post signs everywhere saying that weapons are not allowed, it is like advertising to robbers, I am leaving this place unarmed and am unable to defend myself.

Not exactly correct...the proprietor and his or her agents/employees may still be armed as he or she chooses.

Guest redbarron06
Not exactly correct...the proprietor and his or her agents/employees may still be armed as he or she chooses.

but why would they need to be armed?? after all they have banned any guns from being on the property. Except off duty, retired, LEOs. We all know they wont break any laws dont we :P.

Received a letter from the owner of Huey's. It was a photo copy in PDF format or I would copy and paste the text. It basically said that they hated to have to publicly choose a side. Then he said that one of their biggest expenses is liability insurance and that it would go up if something happened and that they would also be perceived as not protecting their customers. He also ended with the old "guns and alcohol don't mix". I wonder if the location in Mississippi was posted before all of the TN news mania? If it wasn't, then I am sure it had plenty of patrons with guns in it at times.