Discussion on posted restaurants

Guest redbarron06
Okay, I can maybe see off-duty officers getting "special" treatment. In some jurisdictions they are required to carry when off-duty as they are never really "off".

But WTF is the deal with special privileges for retired officers? They are no more "trustworthy" than any other citizen that's undergone the background checks and been vetted by the state.

There's a retired Metro officer that lives a few doors down from me. He's crazier than a march hare. Why should he get a pass to carry anywhere he wants? How about the ones that "retire" under a cloud of suspicion? I'd be far more concerned by some ex-cops than I would an HCP holder.

Well there is really no "special" treatment for police. SCOTUS has ruled that when police are off they are off. Reguardless of department policy as policy does not over rule law. up until the TN law passed it was illegal for them to carry in a place that serves alcohol just like it was for us unless they were in "exicution of thier official duties". Not eating lunch, or taking a break. TN law changed this a couple of weeks after the HCP law was changed. Now police will claim a bill that was passed back in 04 by congress and signed by Bush refered to LEOSA as thier authority to carry where ever they wanted to. The problem with LEOSA is that is violates about 3 different parts of the Consitution it just has not been argued high enough to be ruled that way by SCOTUS. It is under LEOSA that allows police officers active and retired to carry pretty much any where they want to in the US and tells the states to take your laws (and the 10th ammendment) and shove 'em. LEOSA only allows 2 exceptions. Govt buildings when not allowed by state law, and if the law allows places to post they can not carry guns in there either. Now since the posting law only in TN only covers HCP and not police it also exempts them under the BS federal law.:biglol:

Guest HexHead
It is under LEOSA that allows police officers active and retired to carry pretty much any where they want to in the US and tells the states to take your laws (and the 10th ammendment) and shove 'em.

Which takes me back to my original point. Giving retired officers special treatment is bull:poop:. They are no better than any other "civilian" at that point.

And i hope nobody makes that "thin blue line" argument. It makes more sense to give combat veterans special carry privileges and you don't see them doing that.

I don't get some of these restaurant owners.

Could you imagine the stink they would raise if they couldn't post?

"We are the only private property owners having guns forced into our business when other places can simply post a sign to keep them out."

On....second thought....not a bad idea....how about we just do away with 39-17-1359 and not allow any place to post...:bowrofl:

Guest redbarron06
Which takes me back to my original point. Giving retired officers special treatment is bull:poop:. They are no better than any other "civilian" at that point.

And i hope nobody makes that "thin blue line" argument. It makes more sense to give combat veterans special carry privileges and you don't see them doing that.

LEOSA is so for out of whack with the consitution I really am supprised it has not been overturned. 1st yes it gives them special protection under federal law (violation of 14A) There really is no way to argue that this is part of "interstate commerce" so the law was unlawfull under Article 1 of the consitution. And because it claims to overide all state and local laws and is not legal for the federal govt to pass it therefor violates 10A.

This was a federal law that was passed to create a "special class" of citizens. That class is not effected by state and local laws when it comes to self defense.

I have a picture of one actually ordered from the state... can't read the text below in the pic... but it's the "Pursuant to TN... " I don't have a place to upload the pic to and can't seem to post it here...

Here is the pix you sent

IMG00014-20090722-1422.jpg

LEOSA is so for out of whack with the consitution I really am supprised it has not been overturned. 1st yes it gives them special protection under federal law (violation of 14A) There really is no way to argue that this is part of "interstate commerce" so the law was unlawfull under Article 1 of the consitution. And because it claims to overide all state and local laws and is not legal for the federal govt to pass it therefor violates 10A.

This was a federal law that was passed to create a "special class" of citizens. That class is not effected by state and local laws when it comes to self defense.

Take if for what it's worth but i think 9/11 and a school shooting helped this law eventually get passed

Guest redbarron06
Take if for what it's worth but i think 9/11 and a school shooting helped this law eventually get passed

I dont doubt it a bit. People get scared and are afraid of what ever and can not take care of them selves so they look to uncle sugar to make it better. Then like a Python when we take that breath they tighten the coils. This is why politicians like BHO use scare tactics so often.

Saw a story in today's paper

Some restaurant owners resent new gun measure Knoxville News Sentinel

"It irritates me that the state has put us in the position to be the bad guys," the president of the Demos' Restaurant chain said.

"We have to actively tell somebody 'No.' That's something in the hospitality industry that we don't like to do."

Demos isn't alone among the state's restaurant operators, according to industry groups, who expect roughly four out of five restaurants in the state to opt out of a new law.

Confirmation of what we all knew--the state provided them a shield for a long time, but no more.

As for the four out of five restaurants...didn't we see that only ten percent or so of their members even bothered to respond to their survey?

Guest Isaac
I have heard Waffle House but I have not seen any ever posted. I think sombody told me that there is a sign after you get in by the register. You know where you pay right before walking out.:rolleyes:

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, so I'm not mentioning any names, but an acquaintance of mine is a WH store manager. I asked him about it after reading somewhere that WH posts, because I saw no such sign in his store. His response was that employees could not carry (by corp policy), and that there were some signs to that effect by the back door, but that HCP holding customers could carry, as far as he knew. He is a HCP holder, and ignores corporate policy. Said "I'd rather go home unemployed than not at all". :P

This may be different franchise by franchise, rather than a corporate policy with them, so YMMV.

Guest nokomom

Neely's BBQ is Posted

670 Jefferson Ave, Memphis, TN‎

(901) 521-9798‎

Sign says something like "No weapons or guns of any kind allowed"

My husband and I went there because someone else on here wrote that another location was NOT posted. There is no way in freaking h*ll I am going to leave my gun in the car in the neighborhood Neely's is in on Jefferson. I'm planning on going up there on Monday to speak politely with a manager. I did call from the parking lot and they said the manager would be in on Monday morning. Please call and write this location. They have the best slaw in town and I'll miss 'em if they won't take that sign down.

Oh, there have been 63 "Theft from Motor Vehicle" Memphis police reports within .25 mile in the past year of their address. I might as well just walk up and hand a thug my gun if I leave it in the car in that area! Memphis Daily News - Crime Report Map - A map of reported crimes for Memphis and Shelby County - Updated Daily - Business, Government, Politics, News, Public Records, Public Notices, Crime Report, Neighborhood Report, Marketing Lists, Research

On a happy note, Cozy Corner is NOT POSTED. It wasn't too much trouble to get back in the car and wheel on around to the next BBQ place. We live in Memphis after all.

Guest HexHead
Neely's BBQ is Posted

670 Jefferson Ave, Memphis, TN‎

(901) 521-9798‎

Sign says something like "No weapons or guns of any kind allowed"

My husband and I went there because someone else on here wrote that another location was NOT posted.

That was probably me and I ate at the Neely's here in Nashville again today, and again, NO SIGN. When i spoke with Tony last week about it, he said he told his brothers he didn't see much point in posting. I guess they didn't see it his way for the Memphis locations? :yum:

That was probably me and I ate at the Neely's here in Nashville again today, and again, NO SIGN. When i spoke with Tony last week about it, he said he told his brothers he didn't see much point in posting. I guess they didn't see it his way for the Memphis locations? :D

Yep...

Name: Neely's BBQ

Address: Rosa Parks Blvd

City: Nashville

Data: Not posted. Spoke with the owner, Tony Neely. I speak with him whenever I see him there and thanked him for not succumbing to the hysteria of the Tennessean or the Commercial Appeal. He said he discussed it with his brothers at the Memphis restaurants and said he just couldn't see the point. People just need something to get hysterical over.

btw, my wife had the dry ribs and I had the brisket and it all was awesome. Hands down, the best 'que in Nashville, especially when "Big Tony" is there.

From http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/23693-restaurants-have-not-will-not-post.html

Remember this a statewide board, so what holds true (posted or not) in one city for a restaurant may not hold true for every location in the state, or even every location in the same city, that is why I suggested including the address or at leat the street/area of the restaurant.

Also you may notice...I gave up a while ago of trying to keep this thread to post of just which restaurants have posted and keeping discussion in the http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/23924-discussion-posted-restaurants.html thread. :doh:

Guest Fenris
Baja Burrito on Thompson Lane had a sign with the circle slash. There was some verbiage below it, but I saw it from the road while I was stopped at a light, so I couldn't tell if it was a proper sign.

Went by Baja Burrito tonight and the sign was gone.

Woohoo.

Guest crotalus01

Mike.357, CiCis Pizza in Poplar Plaza shopping center in Memphis does not serve alcohol and they recently posted. They were probably unaware people could carry in there until all this BS in the media started after the bill passed.

so has anyone found restaurants that do not serve alcohol that have banned guns?

I went to one of my favorite eateries today, McAlsters Deli in Millington. It now has a 8.5x11 printed sign at knee level that says, "no firearms or weapons."

I am emailing there corp office.

Edited by Curiousgb
Guest crotalus01

Cafe Ole gun/slash symbol

Celtic Crossing gun/slash symbol

Tsunami PROPERLY POSTED do NOT screw with this place they are 100% legal you-are-going-to-jail-if-you-set-foot-on-our-property-with-a-firearm. Owner is obviously serious as well as being a POS who wants his patrons to get robbed/raped/killed.

Gun friendly in Midtown so far are Young Avenue Deli, whatever that deli in front of Studio on the Square is called, India Palace, Paulettes, Soul Fish Cafe, Do, Casablanca, Jasmine, and Pie in the Sky.

Strange that there have been no shootouts between drunks yet - what's up with that???????????

The Commercial Appeal ASSURED me there would be drunken shootouts! Where the **** are they??????

Unknown as of now is Beauty Shop and Blue Fin - anyone know if they are posted?

Cafe Ole gun/slash symbol

Celtic Crossing gun/slash symbol

Tsunami PROPERLY POSTED do NOT screw with this place they are 100% legal you-are-going-to-jail-if-you-set-foot-on-our-property-with-a-firearm. Owner is obviously serious as well as being a POS who wants his patrons to get robbed/raped/killed.

Gun friendly in Midtown so far are Young Avenue Deli, whatever that deli in front of Studio on the Square is called, India Palace, Paulettes, Soul Fish Cafe, Do, Casablanca, Jasmine, and Pie in the Sky.

Strange that there have been no shootouts between drunks yet - what's up with that???????????

The Commercial Appeal ASSURED me there would be drunken shootouts! Where the **** are they??????

Unknown as of now is Beauty Shop and Blue Fin - anyone know if they are posted?

Since Memphis is listed as your location in your profile, I assume these places are in that general area????