Discussion on posted restaurants

Guest HexHead

I'd just rather not deal with it at all, but at the same time, didn't want to just leave it in the car, because of my worrying about leaving the mall at night.

Next time leave the gun at home. But you might want to suggest to the in-laws you all go somewhere else since the Opry Mills parking lot has lots of gang activity and there have been shootings there, and you don't feel it's safe for their daughter to deal with after the mall itself is closed at night.

You don't have to be the "he won't go there because he can't carry" guy. You don't have to be the "I won't spend money with people I don't agree with" guy either. Just be honest about the reputation of where they're thinking of going. They probably have no idea how dangerous Opry Mills is.

Hell, McNair's mistress did her gun transaction in the parking lot at Dave & Busters there. :lol:

Edited by HexHead
Guest Moody

But if you are going to regularly carry in public around your in-laws, it's not impossiable for it to come up just about anywhere you go, not just restaurants that serve alcohol.

You're quite right, and I've taken steps in which to talk to (or at least start) my in-laws about why I carry, and to assure them that I'm not trying to take the law "into my own hands", and that it is just for the protection of myself and those that I care about. We'll see how that goes, but honestly, I fear that minds have been made up... wish me luck. :lol:

Guest Moody
Sorry if I sounded harsh. I'm not sure what you carry, but I would recommend a J frame in the pocket in situations like this.

Oh, no worries at all - it's the opinions and different viewpoints of members of this site that allow all of us to take an alternative look at a scenario, and perhaps question the best method of dealing with a problem. I was really keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't come off as being angry/upset about replying to anyone's posting. I just wanted some honest information and was hoping to get it - which I did, and I'm really grateful to anyone who could respond to my situation and offer any kind of perspective.

I've actually been eyeing J's recently, and have a couple in mind. It would definitely work for a situation like this - great advice.

Guest Moody
Next time leave the gun at home. But you might want to suggest to the in-laws you all go somewhere else since the Opry Mills parking lot has lots of gang activity and there have been shootings there, and you don't feel it's safe for their daughter to deal with after the mall itself is closed at night.

You don't have to be the "he won't go there because he can't carry" guy. You don't have to be the "I won't spend money with people I don't agree with" guy either. Just be honest about the reputation of where they're thinking of going. They probably have no idea how dangerous Opry Mills is.

Hell, McNair's mistress did her gun transaction in the parking lot at Dave & Busters there. :lol:

That's exactly what I found out tonight, honestly (in bold). They had no clue - they didn't even know about the shooting that happened a few years ago in the lobby of the mall, nor the reasons (gang-related) for which it happened...

You identified my reasoning to a tee - about the "I don't want to be THAT guy" scenarios. I will definitely make it a point to offer subtle, yet fact-based advice next time about attending Opry Mills during later hours. I honestly hope that they'll give me a few minutes to explain why I feel that way. All that I can do is to be patient and support my reasonings with information that is plausible and factual... At least I can keep my wife safe, but I feel for some members of her family, as I doubt that they will listen until something directly affects them, and by that time, it may be too late to reconsider. I pray that it doesn't get to that, though.

My 11 y/o daughter and I have a day once in a while that we will spend together. No brother, mom, etc., just us. We go to Opry Mills on Sun. morning, eat pizza, catch a movie, Dave and Busters,glow in the dark putt-putt golf, etc. We have a blast. We went and did this day two weeks ago. I was CC'ing, looking for signs. Didn't see anything posted anywhere that would make me feel illegal, and felt completely safe.

I will not go there on a weekend evening and have written the management to let them know this. You carry in there during those times, when the 'bangers are there, and you may go from carrier to user.

If the mall in general ever were to go posted, She and I would have to find somewhere else to have fun. We can go fishing, She loves it and I save about $100.

Guest resobubba

Hey folks, I was at Demos' Murfreesboro location just this afternoon, and did not see any signs whatsoever banning carry. May I just missed them or they may have taken them down. Anyone else notice this?

Oh, no worries at all - it's the opinions and different viewpoints of members of this site that allow all of us to take an alternative look at a scenario, and perhaps question the best method of dealing with a problem. I was really keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't come off as being angry/upset about replying to anyone's posting. I just wanted some honest information and was hoping to get it - which I did, and I'm really grateful to anyone who could respond to my situation and offer any kind of perspective.

I've actually been eyeing J's recently, and have a couple in mind. It would definitely work for a situation like this - great advice.

J-frames are nice.

You're quite right, and I've taken steps in which to talk to (or at least start) my in-laws about why I carry, and to assure them that I'm not trying to take the law "into my own hands", and that it is just for the protection of myself and those that I care about. We'll see how that goes, but honestly, I fear that minds have been made up... wish me luck. :screwy:

Good Luck!!

I have created a new locked thread for listing restaurants that have posted.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/25149-listing-user-reported-posted-restaurants.html

I got a PM that this thread was getting to hard to actually locate posted restaurants and I agree. So I will be merging the original RESTAURANTS THAT HAVE POSTED thread to the Discussion on posted restaurants thread.

If you have a new restaurant to add, an old one to remove or a correction to those already listed, just PM me with the information.

Thanks.

Guest lilredhunter

I don't know if someone has posted this or not.

Columbia Tn

Bettys parkway also called bettys best

Riverside Dr

Sam Hills

Riverside Dr.

• 2 weeks later...
Hueys

Southwind location on Winchester

Posted Properly, did not speak to management as they were slammed but will not be eating there again.

Unknown if this applies to all Huey's locations or just this one.

Every one in Memphis. They are too dumb to realize people have been carrying in the one in Southaven,MS since it opened and that signs have no legal weight down there.

Idiots.

Guest 270win

I had someone paying for me to go to a Huey's downtown Memphis recently. I think they possibly had a sign on the door but it was so small I could not even read it to see if it was legal or not. I did not want to be standing outside the door and bending down reading a silly sign and look like a wierdo in public. You had to be really looking to notice it. I was purposefully looking since I heard about Huey's. If I had not been looking (kind of like Buffalo Wild Wing's non legal sign), I would not have noticed it. As usual, I was carrying my little snub on me in my pocket holster. I think some places are putting up signs that the avg joe going through life won't even notice...but that's ok...if i don't notice it...or have to get a magnifiying glass to read the language to see if the proper writing...doesn't seem very noticeable to the public..thus not legal. Oh well that's why I conceal a snub.

Ok, so you go into a resturant, look around for a "no guns" sign and never see one, you are told they are posted, but never see a sign. Finally after spending 5 min. in the "foyer" of said resturant I find a sign, not legal by any means, and it's so far out of the "visable entrance area" would you think "it's there for the sheeple"?

Ok, so you go into a resturant, look around for a "no guns" sign and never see one, you are told they are posted, but never see a sign. Finally after spending 5 min. in the "foyer" of said resturant I find a sign, not legal by any means, and it's so far out of the "visable entrance area" would you think "it's there for the sheeple"?

I guess some may.

To be honest, I have never really bought the "improperly posted" sign as an attempt by the owner to satisfy the sheeple, but allow legal carry.

99.9999999999% of the time I think it is just an ignorance of the law on the part of the owner.

Guest high-octane

I dont know if its been mentioned or not but Hooters in Hermitage appears to be posted. Went there today. Didnt notice until i was leaving but the sign looked like it was legal.

Blackhorse Saloon in downtown Clarksville does not allow carry.

not sure if its the official sign or whatnot. all it has is a small sticker with a pistol in the red crossed circle. not really sure if thats the official/legal way to post?

Guest 270win

A gun with a slash is not legal. Conceal and you should be fine. I'm not a lawyer but that is my understanding of the law....then again I have to go into Memphis a lot and carry everywhere...you usually are watching out for criminals instead of signs!

I was in FIDO's in Hillsboro village and they are posted with an incredibly small sign in the lower left corner of the door. I could not read the print standing two feet away and looking down.

The amazing thing was I had my coffee, my eggs and met my friend and the glock 19 did not jump out of my bag and start mowing down urban hipsters, vandy kids and lecherous old men scamming the vandy chicks. Unbelievable. I atribute the lack of bloody carnage to the sign that I couldn't read and the non-existent metal detectors that all restaurant owners use to screen guns out of their business to avoid liability.

I also resisted to urge to cry BAAAAAH! BAAAAAH! as I was leaving. The coffee and eggs are incredible. Best in town.

Edited by jwb68
  • 2 months later...
Ahhhh Breakers Sports Bar. I have MANY times seen people served WAY too much alcohol there. These people then get behind the wheel of ONE HUGE BULLET and drive. So it's okay to get people smashed who have car keys but they are afraid of a law abiding citizen (who is not allowed by law to drink) from carrying their legal firearm in their establishment. Oh wait....that's right, the people that will die will be out on the road and not in their bar....so that somehow makes it okay? Hmmm......

I personally believe that bars have no reason to have parking lots. if I lose my HCP because I have a drink while carrying, then a vehicle operator should lose his DL for having a drink and getting back behind the wheel. Designated driver is pure BS. I have been around a day or two (66 YO) and I watch my fellow man closely. They all come in, they all drink, and it usually one of the most drunk of the lot who gets in on the driver's side.

And yes I do drink, at parties not bars, but momma is a teetotaler and she drives.

Truth is, there are a lot more drunks out there than there are CCWs and they spend a whole lot of money in those bars. It's economics , plain and simple.