Ground Blind?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Would you ever bow hunt from a ground blind? I just got an awesome deal on a Primos Exscursion pop-up blind and was just wondering if it would be of any use during the season while bowhunting? I do realize all of the pros and cons of scent and being high off the ground, etc. But I was just wanting some input on what you all think. Roy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I use a ground blind often. They are very effective. Usually I prefer a tree stand, but not always.

I just have a cheap "Doghouse" blind from Walmart. It is "blacked-out" on the inside with shoot-through mesh windows. I have have literally had deer, horses, dogs, etc. walk within arms reach without a clue I was there.

Sometimes I will use a ground blind in the hot early season because I can sit in there in shorts and a black T-shirt with a wet bandanna on my head - keeps you quite cool.

Other times I use it because I can't find a good tree in an area I want to hunt.

The improtant thing is that the blind has enough room for you to draw your bow without sticking out of the blind or bumping it. Does it have shoot-though mesh windows?

Edited by Batman
Guest redbarron06

I have used groundblinds more than once. I like them when it gets colder because it helps keep the wind off of you. Be sure to set it up and take a few shots at different angles with it. It may seem simple but when you get in it and are actually trying to do all of this with a bow and the arrow starts bumping into of the walls it can get more difficult than it seems.

I use ground blinds all the time while deer hunting. I only muzzleload and rifle hunt as I am limited on time. Just set up downwind of where you feel the buck is traveling... I have never used a commercial blind but have thought on it. Prices are too high and my homemade/natural cover blinds work just fine to justify not putting out that much money. The challenge of being eye level with your quarry is nothing you can gain 16 feet up a tree.

-Ron

I have used groundblinds more than once. I like them when it gets colder because it helps keep the wind off of you. Be sure to set it up and take a few shots at different angles with it. It may seem simple but when you get in it and are actually trying to do all of this with a bow and the arrow starts bumping into of the walls it can get more difficult than it seems.

I like them on really cold days, too. It seems like they are great for the temperature extremes because you can make youself comfortable without spooking the deer.

That's good advice about practicing from the blind. I learned that the hard way when I first started using one. :poop:

dont know why this posted twice

Closed your other one. As for an answer yes I love ground blinds even for bow hunting. I always carry a ground blind with me when I travel to hunt, never know if your gonna have a tree to get up in. As far as bow hunting just make sure you practice from that ground blind, ground shooting and tree shooting are different. Also make sure your bow doesn't hit any part of the blind, if it does it could damage your bow and/or mess up your shot.

I bought one to use while hunting with my daughter. She can move more without being seen, we are close to each other and it keeps the wind and rain off. It was so effective that I plan to use to as needed for myself. I hate sitting in the cold rain in a tree stand, so the blind will be used on rainy days. It does limit your sight compared to a treestand though.

I'm not real big on ground blinds. I have used them but only after they set in the woods for awhile and the deer became use to them. I don't mind them so much during a rifle/ML season but not during bow season. That's just my 02 cents.

Blinds aren't as popular as tree stands here, but with practice and preparation, you can be very effective hunting whitetail from a ground blind. And just like hunting from a stand , it is much more difficult to harvest a whitetail with a bow vs. other legal weapons.....

I personally love hunting out of a ground blind and it is my first choice.

One of the most important things is scent. It's OK if you have to store your ground blind inside your house or a storage shed just make sure to let it sit out overnight (to air out) at a minimum before taking it into the field for your hunt. It also will not hurt to spray it down with scent killer before the hunt.

One of the most important things is scent. It's OK if you have to store your ground blind inside your house or a storage shed just make sure to let it sit out overnight (to air out) at a minimum before taking it into the field for your hunt. It also will not hurt to spray it down with scent killer before the hunt.

True. During the season, I ususally throw a few dry leaves down in the carry case backpack with the blind before I leave the field - just to give it that natural aroma.

Edited by Batman
Guest walkingdeadman

yeah, all of my hunting gear will go in my dads shed out in the woods where i actually hunt with my ground blind set up behind it to get rid of any smells. that should take care of that.

• 3 months later...
Guest clutepc

During gun season do you put something blaze orange over the top of your blinds?

I'll be hunting public land so I was planning on not even attempting to use my blind but It nice to have that as a option if possible.

I don't bow hunt, but have hunted from ground blinds with rifle several times with good success. Here are my thoughts:

1) great for kids as already stated, they can move around, etc. I suggest removing all sticks, leave etc from under the ground blind to minimize noise.

2) never had a problem with scent. My daughter shot a nice doe at LBL last year. Deer was one of three within 10 yards. Had 6 come within 25 yards a couple of years ago. they didn't smell me, but they did stare at me. Seems they knew that blind wasn't suppose to be there. Managed to shoot one of them.

3) I suggest useing some type of orange covering if you hunt on public land. I'm always afraid my blind will look like a bruch pile to a hunter in a tree stand. Somewhere i found a nice size piece of blaze orange plastic.

4)can be bulky by the time you carry the blind and something to sit on.

5)I've shot 5 or 6 deer from ground blinds in the last 4 years. So, i've don't hesitate to use a ground blind.