How to obtain a class 3.

Guest SLICKYINC

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

As far as being a dealer for class III items or owning them. I dont know about dealing them but itis not that hard to own them it is just time consuming. Most of that time being waiting on the ATF.

Guest crotalus01

Assuming you are wanting to buy a class 3 item and not become a dealer, simply find a gun shop in your area that has a class 3 dealer and go from there. Say you want to buy a silencer for your prethreaded Walther P22 - go to the shop, the dealer will order the can, you pay for it and wait for it to be shipped to the dealer. Once the dealer gets it you and your dealer fill out a Form 4 (application for transfer). You then submit the Form 4 along with two passport size photos, fingerprint cards and a check for $200 to the BATFE. Then you wait for about four months. Once the paperwork comes back approved you can pick up your can and go have fun.

There are other ways to go through this process and I left some steps out but thats a general overview. Its not difficult, just takes a long long time, and it works the same whether you are buying a can, machinegun, SBR etc.

Hope that helps.

Guest SLICKYINC

Mite be a dumb question, but if i wanted a full auto weapon. Am i opening myself up to the feds coming to my house any time they want?

might be a little off the thread but still dealing with the same thing....say i want to make my ar full auto...can i go to a dealer and just get the trigger group and do the stamp and all the waiting? i have heard it has to be a preban lower and all sorts of stuff....can someone clear the air? thanks

might be a little off the thread but still dealing with the same thing....say i want to make my ar full auto...can i go to a dealer and just get the trigger group and do the stamp and all the waiting? i have heard it has to be a preban lower and all sorts of stuff....can someone clear the air? thanks

There are two ways (that I'm aware of) that you can legally do it. You can purchase a Lightning Link, (often abbreviated as an RLL - Registered Lightning Link) witch is a Serial Numbered Part that legally converts your "semi" setting on your selector to full-auto. Or you can look into an RDIAS (Registered drop in auto sear).

I haven't looked lately, but I think the last prices for something like this were around the $10,000 mark.

I'm far from an expert, but I suspect someone with more knowledge on the subject will be around soon enough.

Guest crotalus01

Thats pretty much it. Get an RLL, a RDIAS or buy a pre 86 factory or registered full auto. Gonna be close to the same $$$ whichever way you do it.

BATFE can only do inspections if you have an FFL. They can only inspect your home if you have an FFL and are running your business through your home, or through a seperate building in which there is a door that connects to your home. Thats why you almost never see any FFLs that run business from their homes anymore.