45 Long Colt ammo question

Hey folks,

As a newbie to the shooting world, I nabbed a Rough Rider 45LC cheap. The ammo is hard to track down, but I did find CCI 45LC #9 shotshells. Does anyone know if these would be okay? Another dumb question: would an indoor firing range allow these to be fired (assuming positive answer to question #1) or am I going to have to be outdoors? Sorry to be such a nitwit....am still learning alot....:)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1shot

45 Colt has been hard to find lately. All the cowboy action shooters and the new Taurus Judge owners have bought it up in the great ammo hoard. Things are starting to slow up on the hoarding. I have been seeing some ammo and primers etc. being available lately. Maybe you can find some 45 Colt ammo. By the way there is no such thing as a 45 Long Colt. It is just plain old 45 Colt.

Howdy. I'm a newbie here but not to to 45 LC (I'm a CAS shooter). There's a place outside Memphis, Ammo Direct Ammunition - It's what you should be shooting!, that has some decent prices on cast 45 LC. And I usually get orders the day after I make them, here in Nashville. Their website says they're behind, but for something like 45 LC they might not be.

Another thing to consider is loading your own. This caliber is one of the easiest, since it's a straight-wall case and big enough to look in (to make sure of your powder charge). Seating the bullet is simple with the 45 LC, too. Best of all, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than store-bought.