Enfield 1917

I was in Gander Mountain here in Knoxville today and noticed that they have a Enfield 1917 for sale at $599. Don't know if anyone is looking. It seemed to be in nice shape. I noticed no cracks in the wood and most of the bluing was still there. It seemed to be a nice clean rifle.

They also had a Columbian 1895 Mauser in 7x57. It was in fair condition at best in my book.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

I once saw a 1917 for sale at the Nationals at Camp Perry.. It was a Winchester and the serial number on the rifle was #1917.. asking price.. 5 grand.

I have an Eddystone that was parkerized during WWII but, still has the original 9-18 barrel. At the 200 yard line, in the sitting position and "slinged up" it will hold the ten ring with G.I. ball ammo. My last five shots, shot in June, were 10, 10, 10, X and the last shot blew out the spindle in the X ring. This was slow fire and spotting between shots so, they will shoot!

Guest gcrookston

People like Gander don't know what they have. Some times it's a real jewel (I've plucked a few from them and Cabela's and Bass Pro), some times it's a turd. Firstly you have to make certain it's matching (Eddystone, Winchester and Enfield made these rifles). A premium is paid for Winchesters, though I fail to understand why, as their quality of fit and finish is the lowest of the makers. Blued and not parkerized? Does the wood match up in condition, fit and finish? Bolt blued and not in the white or parkerized?

How about the acceptance stamps? Little eagle headstamps with numbers underneath? Do they match up with the rest of the gun?

For a shooter grade $500 - 600 is a pretty fair price... Collector grade $900 - 2,000.

Had a little free time this afternoon and ventured out to GM to investigate this M1917.

What I found was an Eddystone that appeared to be all original: Eddystone receiver, barrel, stock and bolt. Did not get to tear the rifle down to analyze all the parts (most parts were marked on these). :poop:

The finish is a fairly dark black, which may be original? The serial number was stampled on the bottom, near the heel of the stock. A small oval brass plate is on the right side of the stock with the # 70. Original? I don't know.

Bore looks good with sharp rifling and gauges a 2 (I carried my CMP gauge out there)

Is it worth $599? Not to me. Although it appears original, some bubba drilled a hole on the face of the receiver somewhere between 1918 and now. It's not a complete hole, but kind of a half-hole on the receiver just above the bolt. Enough to obscure part of the E in Eddyston.