handgun hunting question

Guest glock20

Guest glock20

was wanting to hunt this year with my glock20.was reading the twra laws and saw something about using a 4 inch barrel or bigger.that correct?my glock has a 5 inch barrel but i thought you had to have a 6 inch barrel.was gonna buy a 6 inch but i wont if i dont have to.anyone know if my glock20 is fine for hunting with the 5 inch barrel?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4" barrel or longer.

I prefer a SA revolver for hunting, but a Glock with 4"+ barrel is legal.

LEGAL Equipment

Deer, Bear, ELK, Boar and Feral Hog Hunting

1. Shotguns using ammunition loaded with single solid ball or

rifled slugs. No restriction on number of rounds in magazine.

2. Rifles using any center-fire ammunition.

3. Muzzleloading percussion cap or flintlock rifles, handguns or

shotguns of .40 caliber (.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading

firearms are legal during any gun season or hunt unless

otherwise specified. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those

firearms which are incapable of being loaded from the breech.

4. Longbows, compound bows, crossbows and other bows drawn

or held by a mechanical device.

5. Hunting arrows and bolts shall be of a barbless design and shall

have sharpened blades.

6. Centerfire handguns firing a single projectile and having a barrel

length of four inches or more.

7. Firearms and archery equipment may be equipped with sighting

devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable

of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 4.6" barrel and one with a 7.5" barrel. Both are .44mag, and I use both of them to hunt with occationally. My accurate range is significantly less with the shorter bbl, but it's still fun to use.

I don't know much about 10mm ballistics (only that it's bigger than 9mm :)) , but I'm sure it would do the job on deer.

Guest H0TSH0T
10mm is a .40cal bullet

and flatter and more accurate than a 45acp, and with the effective knock down power between a .357 and a 41magnum .a great round.

Ballistic performance Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy 135 gr (8.7 g) Nosler JHP 1,600 ft/s (490 m/s) 767 ft·lbf (1,040 J) 155 gr (10.0 g) Gold Dot HP 1,475 ft/s (450 m/s) 750 ft·lbf (1,020 J) 165 gr (10.7 g) Golden Saber HP 1,425 ft/s (434 m/s) 744 ft·lbf (1,009 J) 180 gr (12 g) XTP HP 1,350 ft/s (410 m/s) 728 ft·lbf (987 J) 200 gr (13 g) WFNGC 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 750 ft·lbf (1,020 J) Test barrel length: 4.6 in. For 6 inch barrel, add ~100 FPS[1]

Source: DoubleTap Ammunition C.I.P.[2] SAAMI[3]

I ended up going with 400 Cor-bon. Same ballistics as 10mm. The advantage for me is that I just had to buy a 400 cor-bon barrel and have it fitted to my Kimber 1911. Now I am shooting the equivalent of 10mm for about 1/3 of the cost of a new Dan Wesson 10mm.

Guest 22-rimfire

I hadn't looked at the regs this year yet. As I recall last year, any centerfire handgun was legal. My guess at the time, they wanted to allow folks to carry their concealed carry handgun if they chose to as a backup. Anyway, it made no sense at all to me. So it's back to 4" again. I use a Ruger SRH in 480 Ruger or Smith M57 in 41 mag.