Gun Debate at UT Martin

Guest mn32768

Guest mn32768

Paul Helmke and Adam Dread debate two unnamed NRA representatives in a panel discussion about the issue of guns in bars in Tennessee, gun rights and responsibilities nationwide, and the Second Amendment.

The event will be Monday, Sept. 14, from 7-9:00 pm at the University Center Ballroom at UT Martin. Apparently it is part of UT Martin’s “commemoration of the U.S. Constitution.â€

Southern Beale: Gun Debate At UT Martin

Gun Debate at UT Martin September 14th!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if this will be streamed via internet or broadcast on some other medium? If not, are there any plans to video this and post to youtube or something like that? I have prior engagement that will prevent me from attending and I'm sure there are many in the same boat who would normally be present at something this important. Thanks to UT Martin for "commemorating the constitution".

Edited by mrmoetn
fixin my ainglish...

It scares me not to know who with the NRA will be debating them. Did they just pick a couple of random Joes walking down the street with a NRA hat on. Or are they anti gun people with a NRA subscription. I don't trust either of them.

http://www.utm.edu/departments/univrel/newsitems4.php

The observance will begin with a panel discussion on the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution beginning at 7 p.m., Sept. 14, in the Boling University Center Duncan Ballroom. The two panelists representing the National Rifle Association will be Glen Caroline and Kevin Teets. Representing the opposing side will be members of the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence, Paul Helmke and Adam Dread.

Caroline serves as Director of the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division where he develops and implements the political and legislative grassroots programs for the NRA. Caroline has also served as a federal liaison for the NRA, where he lobbied nine congressional delegations. He has been an employee of the NRA since 1991.

Teets is a 2006 graduate from UT Martin where he studied political science, public relations and news editorial journalism. Teets has since completed his masters in public administration and his jurist doctorate from Drake University. Teets has worked for two years as a licensed student prosecutor at the Polk County Attorney's Office in Iowa. He is a member of the National Rifle Association.

Since July 2006, Helmke has served as president of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, the nation's largest national, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence. Prior to working with the Brady Campaign, Helmke was a lawyer in Fort Wayne, Ind., where he served as mayor from 1988-2000.

Dread is a partner in the law firm Durham & Dread, PLC, in Nashville, Tenn. Dread concentrates his practice in many areas including restaurant and liquor issues. He has represented most Tennessee plaintiffs in the Menu Pet Food recall, as well as the plaintiffs in the internationally covered “guns in bars” lawsuit.

The movie, “Bowling for Columbine,” will be shown at 4:30-7:30 p.m. on Sept. 17, in Watkins Auditorium. After the movie, Student Government Association President Phillip Masengill and a panel of students will discuss the use of guns and violence that occur in the movie.

For more information, contact Dr. Mike McCullough, American Democracy Project director, at 731-881-7325 or mcculou@utm.edu, or Dr. Heidi Huse, assistant professor of English, at 731-881-7280 or hhuse@utm.edu.

Unless something changes drastically from now till then, my alma mater can expect no more money from me.

I don’t think that if they tried they could have picked a place and time any better to ensure that a bunch of pro guns folks don’t show up. :D

If the Good Lord lets me live that long, I will be there. I graduated from UTM, and have supported them financially since then. But, if "Bowling for Columbine", Paul Helmke and Adam Dread are to be celebrated on campus, I am done in every way with them!

• 2 weeks later...

Glen Caroline wore their hinneys out! Helmke offered up the same old tired, "more guns more death" without any data to back it up, gave the "can't we all just get along without guns" song and dance. Caroline did very well, his presentation was machine gun like,(excuse the play on words) he was prepared and spoke well. Kevin Teets laid Helmke low on Heller, did a superb job. Dread was ineffectual, tried to yuk it up, started his comments about how TN is the laughing stock of the US, what with it's Roadkill rule and allowing guns in bars.

They allowed questions from the audience, I don't think Dread was prepped for that, he and I had a lengthy discussion about how if he wanted to have "bar" as a designation, would he be willing to pay the extra insurance to get that moniker. He made the statement that he did not want his bartenders having to frisk people for weapons, or ask for their permits. I suggested that would not be a good idea, the legal folks would not like it, the drunks either would, or take real offense. I asked him if he provided Breathalyzers upon patron exit? He allowed as to how he did not, I asked just how concerned he was for public safety.

All in all I think the NRA side carried the night completely.

The moderator from the college started off stating that the meeting was a Celebration of the 2nd Amendment, should have seen the look on Helmke's face!!:(

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Worriedman,

I would VERY much appreciate a link to where it might be viewed when you get that. Sounds very cool. Thanks

Dr. P. Michael McCullough who was moderator of the event, offered to forward a copy of the video, but I have not received it yet. I dropped him a note today to see when it might be available.