12 gauge pistol

Im Neero

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I doubt your going to find a legal one. Maybe from a class three dealer?

If you do BATF is probably really going to be interested.

Yea, I've been wondering about that. I've seen AOWs that are legal, and I've also seen revolvers chambered in .410, so I'm not really sure why it would be illegal, but it still doesn't seem quite alright.

Guest witchdr

I read an article a few years ago in American Handgunner magazine about a man in LA. that built one, he had to go through a lot of red tape with the feds to get permission to build it and had to get a class 3 license to do it .But if it is any comfort he said he only shot it once because the recoil was so harsh .The man was an orthopedist and didn't want to become his own patient.lol

Guest ETS_Inc

Here's the scoop:

It is perfectly legal to build a double barrel 12ga. into a replica of Mad Max's gun. however, it must be registered with the BATFE - NFA Branch (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives - National Firearms Act Branch). The gun would fall under the purview of the National Firearms Act of 1934, aka NFA34, or just NFA.

There is no such thing as a Class 3 license. Class 3 is a Special Occupancy Taxpayer status for a Federally licensed firearms dealer, allowing them to buy and sell NFA, or Title II, weapons. Title I weapons are rifles, shotguns, and handguns. Title II weapons are machineguns (MG), silencers (suppressors), short-barrel shotguns (SBS), short-barrel rifles (SBR), Destructive Devices (both Large Bore and Explosive) (DD), and a category known as AOW's, or Any-Other Weapons. A Class 1 SOT is an importer of NFA weapons, and a Class 2 is a manufacturer of NFA weapons, such as myself. Hero-Gear is an example of a Type 01 FFL / Class 3 SOT.

A short-barrel shotgun is defined as a smooth-bore, shoulder fired weapon, with barrels less than 18" long, or an overall length shorter than 26", or a weapon converted from a shotgun.

One of the subcategories of AOW's is smooth-bore handguns, such as the ones I make, usig 870 recievers. It is vitally important though, that in order to register a smooth-bore reciever as an AOW, it must have NEVER had a shoulder stock attached to it, and can NEVER legally have one attached. Doing so makes it an unregistered SBS. I am able to build 870 AOW's because I get the recievers with just pistol grips attached, not regular stocks - they have never been intended to be fired from the shoulder.

In order to build a replica of Mad Max's gun, it would have to be registered as a Short-Barrel Shotgun, or SBS. There are no manufacturers who will sell double barrel recievers which have never had a stock attached. An interesting loophole is the case of guns with both rifle and shotgun barrels, suh as the Springfield M-6 Scout. They can be made into AOW's, as long as the barrels are between 12 - 18" in length. The Savage over/under rifle/shotgun combos qualify, as well.

A non-FFL/SOT may manufacture their own SBS, if they like. They simply fill out two copies of BATFE Form 1, a Certificate of Compliance, and two fingerprint cards. Attach two passport photos, get the local CLEO signature, and send BATFE a check for $200. About 4-6 weeks later, you may cut off your barrels and stock. You are also required to mark the gun with your name, city, and State.

You may also buy a SBS from an FFL/SOT. The process is much the same, just the form used is different. This time, it'd be a Form 4. Since the transferee (the buyer) is not making the gun, they do not have to engrave it. The person, or company, who built it and registered it with BATFE would engrave it at that time.

The $200 tax is a one-time per gun tax. You're paying for a background check. If you buy another NFA weapon, you pay the tax on that transfer, at that time. You do not need to pay any kind of renewal fee. If you subsequently sell the gun, the new owner has to pay a $200 transfer tax, and do the required paperwork.

If you'd like one of those built for you, I can do it. We can use a gun you currently own, or we can find one for you. All you pay for is the gunsmithing work, engraving, transfer tax, and a $50 fee for me to do the paperwork / store the gun. Many people who try to resell an NFA weapon find that buyers are a bit hesitant to buy a gun marked "John Q. Public, Nashville, TN," as opposed to one with the name of an FFL on it, such as "ETS, Inc., Franklin, TN," with our logo next to the engraving. We are also intimately familiar with the NFA process and requirements, so I can assure you a hassle-free transfer.

Guest ETS_Inc

One more thing, the reson those derringers and the Taurus revolvers chambered in .410/.45 LC are legal is because they have rifled barrels. There's not much rifling, but it's their. An AOW is a smooth-bore handgun, or a handgun with a vertical foregrip.

An interesting loophole is the case of guns with both rifle and shotgun barrels, suh as the Springfield M-6 Scout. They can be made into AOW's, as long as the barrels are between 12 - 18" in length.

scout1.jpg

An M6 Scout... with 12" barrels! Ohhhhhh.. that is very interesting! :confused:

Guest ETS_Inc

Tell me about it. If I ever find a used one for a good price, I might build one for myself.

The great thing about AOW's is their transfer tax is only $5. It costs the same $200 tax for an unlicensed person to build one, but they transfer for just $5. (Yeah, I know, that demonstrates so much common sense on behalf of the .gov. But, who said common sense was all that common?)

Tell me about it. If I ever find a used one for a good price, I might build one for myself.

This has usefull written all over it. I had once thought about buying a scout years ago (about ten) for a truck/farm gun. I liked the idea of having a little .410 / .22 hornet rifle that was parkerized and had the shells in the stock.

But having one with a 12" inch barrel would be really neat. Easier to store, and quick to handle. Plus I think the new ones you can get a weaver type rail for the top. Hmmmmm... that woudl just be cool! :confused:

Guest ETS_Inc
Frank, thanks for the post. You answered every question I have and some that I didn't even know that I had. Just out of curiosity, roughly what would the gunsmithing cost on having a double barrel cut down?

Roughly, figure between $50-100. Add to that $75 for the engraving and paperwork, and we can do one for you.

Guest TN.Frank

It looks like a sawed off double barrel shotgun to me. You would have to get the AOW stamp($5 bucks IIRC) and go thru the ATF's background check to get one but other then that they are "legal" as long as you jump thru the hoops. Don't know why you'd want one though, not very practical and would probably kick like a mule.

Guest ETS_Inc
It looks like a sawed off double barrel shotgun to me. You would have to get the AOW stamp($5 bucks IIRC) and go thru the ATF's background check to get one but other then that they are "legal" as long as you jump thru the hoops. Don't know why you'd want one though, not very practical and would probably kick like a mule.

Actually, as I stated in my previous post, it would need to be registered as an SBS, not an AOW, meaning a $200 tax stamp, not a $5 stamp.

Ithaca did make some Auto & Burglar's back in day, which were registered as AOW's, but they can be difficult to find, and a bit pricey when you do find one.